Turn off all interior lights with door or tailgate open?

Ed1

📛 Founding Member
Apr 29, 2024
Media
Northeast US
For camping, beach or similar situations, I’d like to know if all interior lighting can be off for extended time with the doors and/or tailgate open. On my FE there is a dome light on the ceiling that eventually (1/2 hour or so) goes off. But there are also 2 small lights on the inside of the tailgate (to light up the cargo area when the tailgate is open) that never go off.

I’ve tried the rotary dial for dash light dimming, but that doesn’t have a setting to disable all interior lights.

If you have skills, I'd put a switch in to disconnect the lights.

or

You might try fabbing a small plate that'll keep the switch pushed in when needed. Two strong magnets would hold it in place and be easily removable. I use one on the doors when I'm working with the key on, door open to keep that dang dinger from driving me crazy.

I'd attach a brightly colored, highly visible ribbon to it so you don't forget it's there and try and shut the hatch.

(edit) I ended up putting in a switch (search for "EOD Guy's Ride")

Last edited:
For camping, beach or similar situations, I’d like to know if all interior lighting can be off for extended time with the doors and/or tailgate open. On my FE there is a dome light on the ceiling that eventually (1/2 hour or so) goes off. But there are also 2 small lights on the inside of the tailgate (to light up the cargo area when the tailgate is open) that never go off.

I’ve tried the rotary dial for dash light dimming, but that doesn’t have a setting to disable all interior lights.
Does the button on the roof console not do that for you? I havent played around with it enough.

Curious they'd install an interior light without a cut-off. If they're LED though, I wouldn't worry about it.

This was an issue this evening at a drivein movie theatre. Hatch lights and interior center roof light stayed on and there is no way to turn this off. The solution: I had a small carabiner and pushed it into the hatch locking mechanism. It locked and the carabiner dangled down. All the lights went off. When I was ready to go, I pressed the buttons on the hatch handle and it unlocked.

I wish there was an option to open and close the car doors or even unlock and lock without any lights or sounds. If you are at a campground and sleep in the car or if you just need to get something from the car you usually wake up the entire neighborhood. So far I haven't seen a car that has a setting to go completely quiet and dark in those circumstances.

Back