The hybrid that can't...

This has Toyota fanboy written all over it. copy and paste of how engines work to gain credibility, not fully reading/understanding what is going on with the situation...just to say I won't like the LC because you are playing it off as "normal". FFS, I didn't tell them to tear apart my engine or trace it to a cyl 1 issue. They did that. I took it in for an "exhaust leak" which the service guy changed to "engine noise" in the description of the work ticket. I've tried getting into another LC as well... I've had others state their LC doesn't make that noise. It's not "Normal" and I don't believe its a wastegate issue due to the mechanics tracing it to a cyl 1 issue. All you master mechanics out here need to go call Corwin of Toyota in Colorado Springs and go talk to the mechanic yourselves. And please don't keep pushing this off as "normal" until you fully understand what's going on and or are working on the vehicle yourself.
💯% agree, NOT NORMAL!

Yes, a D-4S engine with a turbo (and wastegate) will make some funny noises, but C'mon guys the Toyota field tech will be familiar with those!

No, I didn't have my phone in the garage with me.
I changed my oil at 1,100 miles and it was dark. like coffee dark and smelled like gas. I didn't notice any metal in it but I'm sending to get analyzed. See pics. (first pic has a rag that fell into it)

Attachments

• IMG_6419.jpeg
    IMG_6419.jpeg
    175.5 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_6420.jpeg
    IMG_6420.jpeg
    441.2 KB · Views: 146
I changed my oil at 1,100 miles and it was dark. like coffee dark and smelled like gas. I didn't notice any metal in it but I'm sending to get analyzed. See pics. (first pic has a rag that fell into it)
That’s weird. I checked my oil yesterday (at ~300 miles), and the oil looked brand spanking new.. so clear that I had to look to make sure there was oil on the dipstick. I agree with you. The first two oil changes are going to The Motor Oil Geek for analysis.

Never the less, I have two Toyota oil filters (and drain plug crush washers) from the dealer that I purchased my LC FE from. They didn’t have ‘Toyota 0W-20’ in stock. The guy at the parts counter told me that they use Mobil 1 and would sell me that for about $9.50/quart 😱. I declined and said I would get it at Costco for $5.00/quart. The look on their face was worth it. I bought two six quart boxes yesterday at Costco. Is 6 quarts enough for an oil change?

That’s weird. I checked my oil yesterday (at ~300 miles), and the oil looked brand spanking new.. so clear that I had to look to make sure there was oil on the dipstick. I agree with you. The first two oil changes are going to The Motor Oil Geek for analysis.

Never the less, I have two Toyota oil filters (and drain plug crush washers) from the dealer that I purchased my LC FE from. They didn’t have ‘Toyota 0W-20’ in stock. The guy at the parts counter told me that they use Mobil 1 and would sell me that for about $9.50/quart 😱. I declined and said I would get it at Costco for $5.00/quart. The look on their face was worth it. I bought two six quart boxes yesterday at Costco. Is 6 quarts enough for an oil change?
1722519576387.png

Thank you @Captain Trips!!!

Normally I do read the manual, cover to cover, at least twice, sometimes more, until I can teach and recite it. Only had Miss Daisy for 3 days, and just haven’t been able to dig in and digest the manual yet. It seams to work best for me with all this high tech stuff if I am in the truck, looking at the stuff that I am reading about.

Yes I changed my oil and 6 quarts is enough. I did Flush with a 7th quart on my first oil change. Probably an unnecessary waste but I did it on that first change.

Mine looked completely clear and clean on the dip stick too. When I drained it at 1200 miles that told a totally different story, as I stated in an earlier post. Dark, full of metal flakes like glitter, and really concerning larger metal shavings too. Also smelled like gasoline and had visible contaminant bubbles of gas or water or both. My drain pan actually smells like gas now.

Mine looked completely clear and clean on the dip stick too. When I drained it at 1200 miles that told a totally different story, as I stated in an earlier post. Dark, full of metal flakes like glitter, and really concerning larger metal shavings too. Also smelled like gasoline and had visible contaminant bubbles of gas or water or both. My drain pan actually smells like gas now.
A similar issue (clear dip stick but dark oil with gasoline smell) was also reported for 3rd gen Tacoma for first couple of oil changes. The leading explanation was lube from the manufacturing process burning up during break in.

Hey ya'll. I was told that I would hear back from the service manager today. I checked in late yesterday afternoon. I'll give them a call again today in between meetings to see what's up and report back.

I did get this though via text... "Hi Brandon the engineer came by took photo's examined parts listen to other vehicle said he was going to converse with other engineers on next step. I have not heard back yet. I will have my Manager call in the morning."

That’s NOT good…

I sure hope the T24A-FTS Land Cruiser engines are built at Tahara, but my research shows a huge new plant in Huntsville, AL making these for new 4 cylinder Tacomas and maybe they're shipping these to Japan for Land Cruisers and the 25 4Runners?

The TMMAL website says they make these engines so I don't see that the T24A-FTS are made there:

"An engine plant that’s powering our cars and trucks, and so much more. That’s what you’ll find at our Huntsville, Alabama manufacturing facility, along with 1,150 proud Toyota team members. It’s where we assemble the powerful V6 and V8 engines found under the hoods of Tacoma and Tundra trucks and Sequoia full-size SUVs. And, since 2011, 4-cylinder engines for Camry, RAV4, Sienna and Highlander.5

Toyota Motor Manufacturing, Alabama, Inc. (TMMAL)

1 Cottonvalley Drive
Huntsville, AL 35810 "

The T24A is made in Alabama, Kentucky and I believe West Virginia makes it to. These are for the North American built vehicles. The one in the LC is built in Japan.
After looking further, this source agrees that Huntsville makes iForce 2.4 L (non hybrid) for the Tacoma according to this Feb 2024 news release. Trying to keep it all straight since there was some speculation above about it.

I know Kentucky makes 3 versions of the T24A. I believe some are for the Tacoma I just don’t know which one.

2024 Toyota Land Cruiser, 2.4-liter turbocharged hybrid engine, uses the T24A-FTS engine. This engine is produced at the Kamigo Plant in Toyota City, Aichi Prefecture, Japan, I believe.

Not much of an update yet from my dealership. I reached out again today and this is the response I got.

"Hi Brandon, just called Toyota. They are still waiting to hear back from the Product Engineer. Unfortunately, he does not have an ETA yet."

Not much of an update yet from my dealership. I reached out again today and this is the response I got.

"Hi Brandon, just called Toyota. They are still waiting to hear back from the Product Engineer. Unfortunately, he does not have an ETA yet."
Thanks for keeping us in the loop.

Back