Super Confused in Fuel needed for 2024 Land Cruiser.

Particularly given that this is a turbocharged gasoline engine, and it’s static compression ratio before boost is already fairly healthy.

These people clearly have no idea what turbochargers are, how they work, or what they accomplish. Frankly it’s a disservice selling only a turbocharged engine in a mass market vehicle because some owners are just not bright enough to follow the fuel recommendation in the damn manual or handily emblazoned on the gas cap or filler door.
I don't disagree with your post. However, the Tacoma has the same drive train but does not require premium gas. Different tuning perhaps? The HP/torque numbers seem the same though.

I don't disagree with your post. However, the Tacoma has the same drive train but does not require premium gas. Different tuning perhaps? The HP/torque numbers seem the same though.
You’re not going to find an answer. Read the manual and use your own judgment.

Ther are those here on this forum that believe......... if there is a sticker or if it's in the manual and you don't follow said print that your vehicle will self destruct. I would not use opinions concerning octane levels. Do your research and do what you think's best.

If you use lower octane the computer will pull timing and you will have slightly less power.

Not like the old days with non computer control when you could hear pre ignition.

Of course if you do hear pre ignition you went to low 😀

Myself I use 93 but 87 won't destroy the engine

Does the Land Cruiser really need 91 octane if the Tacoma can use 87 octane? Or is Toyota marketing the Tacoma as being capable of running lower octane fuel than optimum to satisfy consumers who think a few $$$ difference in a tank of fuel will solve their financial problems?

I don’t know the answer.

I do know that manufacturers these days are always looking for ways to avoid warranty liabilities. Toyota has been better than most, but I wouldn’t put it past them to pull fluid samples if there were an engine problem and attempt to deny warranty coverage based on improper fuel grade.

If the difference in cost stays around the current average of $.67 more for premium gas, at 15000 miles per year averaging 23MPG it costs an extra $437 a year to run premium. If that extra $437 hit to your budget means you’re eating ramen noodles, then you might have more pressing financial problems than saving money on fuel.

Does the tacoma have the electric motor? I'm to lazy to look but perhaps that is why. Or maybe a different set of marketing/engineers wrote the lc manual 🤔

Toyota has been better than most, but I wouldn’t put it past them to pull fluid samples if there were an engine problem and attempt to deny warranty coverage based on improper fuel grade.
They won’t need to pull a fuel sample. They can tell what the ECU has been doing with the engine tune, to determine that 87 octane was used, if they chose to deny warranty coverage.

Time to have someone who has access to a dyno / a Land Cruiser and Tacoma with the same power plants to do some testing with 93 /91 / 87 octane (no ethanol) and see what the results are. Maybe Ed Martin Toyota who keeps putting out helpful YouTube videos on the Land Cruiser will give this a go. Would be interesting to see real world testing. Pretty sure there is a video out there with a Toyota technician/engineer discussing the engines are tuned differently but it would be interesting to see if the posted numbers by Toyota are accurate. 🤔

For what it's worth, the gasoline version of the Prado in the global market comes with the just the turbo 4 cyl engine, non-hybrid (at least for the time being). From what I gather, it also seems to require (or at least "recommend") premium gas.

Back