Suggestion: Complete a break-in oil change on your new Land Cruiser

Do you use the same oil as the dealer? Possibly old school, but still a bit leery about switching brands/formulations of oil.
Yes, I buy a several cases of Toyota 0W20 at a time (I have 3 Toyotas) (6qts per case) there's a small amount of 1 qt left over and that goes in to my lube container (catch all container) I use that oil When I machine stuff.......LOL

Have you ever tried oil filter magnets open up your used filter after oil and filter change you might be surprised

I did my first oil change yesterday at 900 miles with Mobil 1 and the 90915-yzzn1 filter bought at Walmart. The oil was very clean. As mentioned in another post it was easy peezy, I did not use ramps just slid under and did it. Picture attached of filter from factory. Really no tricks everything is right there. On any car that I can avoid Jack stands or ramps I do, fast and safe.
I'm impressed by you guys that can do it with no ramps. Did you use hand or electric tools to put back the skid plate? That was the hardest part for me. Not that it was that hard but I'm not that handy at all.

Did the m12-1.25 end up working? Could you use regular yota crush washers with it?
I'll prob do an oil chg this weekend, and yes the standard crush washer should work (it comes with one in the kit) ...... same size thread/bolt.

Ramps all the way - hand tools on the plates and drain bolt. Iโ€™ll use the torque wrench next time, anyone know the torque specs for the drain bolt (without me looking it up)? Also, get a filter wrench as it makes is easier. ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ

Attachments

• IMG_8440.jpeg
    IMG_8440.jpeg
    312.5 KB · Views: 156
Ramps all the way - hand tools on the plates and drain bolt. Iโ€™ll use the torque wrench next time, anyone know the torque specs for the drain bolt (without me looking it up)? Also, get a filter wrench as it makes is easier. ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ

Attachments

• OIL AND OIL FILTER.pdf
    305.1 KB · Views: 116

I got this years ago from the local Toyota dealership. Itโ€™s what their techs use on oil filters. Works on canister and cartridge style filter housing Toyota oil filters.

IMG_0067.jpeg

I ordered this one, but will wait till the free oil changes are expired to install.

View attachment 6040

I have this exact kit installed on my 2007 Tundra I should have done it 10 years ago. Been using it for the last two years.

No issues, makes oil changes drastically cleaner and more convenient.

I installed one on my momโ€™s 2021 Lexus RX350 as well since I am now maintaining that too.

Once I get around to buying a Land Cruiser it will be getting one too.

I'm impressed by you guys that can do it with no ramps. Did you use hand or electric tools to put back the skid plate? That was the hardest part for me. Not that it was that hard but I'm not that handy at all.
I have never used ramps in my life. But at 67, itโ€™s getting more difficult to crawl under there and do the job. Last time i did an oil change on my Transit 350, I jacked it up, and it was definately easier, so I figured, what the heck, and bought some ramps from Horrible Frieght to use, moving forward.

I am very fortunate my dealer always gives 10 years or 100.000 miles free oil changes then a discount for parts like air filters etc that you want to do yourself helps keep your warranty and save a little if you want.

I am very fortunate my dealer always gives 10 years or 100.000 miles free oil changes then a discount for parts like air filters etc that you want to do yourself helps keep your warranty and save a little if you want.
Nice bonus!

Did my first oil and filter change today at 2500 miles. Everything looked fine. The underneath of the vehicle is very well built. Drives better now than when I bought it. Probably didnโ€™t NEED the oil changed right now, but I figure it canโ€™t hurt. Lots of conflicting views on whether it makes sense or not, but I figure an oil change never hurts.

I changed mine at 1200 miles and it was the worse looking oil Iโ€™ve had in a new vehicle (5). It was very dark, it looked like glitter, it had larger metal shavings, it looked contaminated with water or gas, and it smelled like gasoline.

That sounds like a good idea.
I swapped out the drain plug for the magnetic one from Votex last week. I'll let you guys know what I see at 5K miles when I do the next change.

Back