Suggestion: Complete a break-in oil change on your new Land Cruiser

my friend was telling me how old vehicles were a lot more reliable then new modern vehicles. I remember back in the days people had no problem changing their oil every 3000k miles or 3 months. Now you have car manufacturers tell us change oil at 10000k miles and some are even longer. I can guarantee you a designer who developed these engines will not co-sign to such a crazy interval. I was watching a video of a Japanese guy he was Toyota engineer his suggestion was 3000 miles. Some people will argue that Toyota engines come broken in from the factory that is in fact false.
Dave, from AutomotivePress?

Y’all gonna stick with Toyota oil or use a different oil. I’ve read penzoil ultra platinum is supposed to be really good. With the engine having a turbo I’m curious about different oils.

I wonder if the oil maintenance indicator can be changed. I believe it’s set to 10K miles. I would like to lower that to 5K miles.

I wonder if the oil maintenance indicator can be changed. I believe it’s set to 10K miles. I would like to lower that to 5K miles.
I'm not sure if it's changeable. I do change mine by the odometer, Intervals of 5K..... Even if I go over a bit or change it early........ the next one is planned for an even 5K, so not a lot of math involved.

Just completed my break-in oil change at just under 1500 miles. Plan on doing next change at 5k miles and every 5k afterwards.

Sending in a sample— will report back!

Attachments

• IMG_8180.jpeg
    IMG_8180.jpeg
    117.5 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Just completed my break-in oil change at just under 1500 miles. Plan on doing next at 5k miles and every 5k afterwards.

Sending in a sample— will report back!
Usually takes 4-6- weeks for Blackstone. They used to be much faster at turn around time. I’m going to use Lake Speed Jr’s firm with Miss Daisy’s oil samples.

Usually takes 4-6- weeks for Blackstone. They used to be much faster at turn around time. I’m going to use Lake Speed Jr’s firm with Miss Daisy’s oil samples.
Good to know! I am using Ams Oil’s firm, I feel like most oil analysis is pretty similar.

Great post! I’ve summarized all his points with a couple considerations related to our new and arriving Lanc Cruisers:

First 200 miles
  • avoid sudden stops & hard braking

First 500 miles
  • no towing

First 1000 miles
  • avoid hard acceleration
  • avoid long periods of low gear
  • avoid very high speeds on highway > 70
  • avoid long long highway trips of constant speed

Day of delivery
  • Do a thorough visual inspection- reports on here of port-caused dents (especially roofs)

General new car care
  • fill tires to pressure on door sill sticker (many coming over-filled from factory)
  • Do a 1000 miles oil change (clear manufacturing debris) then again at 5000 miles and every 5000 after
  • Don’t overfill gas tank (unfortunately 17.9 gallons in new LC)

THANK YOU!!!!

Back