Sold After 38 Days!!??

To each their own. I'm loving mine. Some of his complaints are the reasons I love mine. The T.S.S. stuff is great IMHO. But I also knew exactly what I was buying when it came to those options. For example, I was in bumper to bumper I-70 traffic here in Denver the other day and using the DRCC, and then the traffic jam assist came on. It worked amazingly well! First vehicle I have had with that level of dynamic cruise control and I'm loving it. My previous Tacomas had 2.5, if I remember correctly.

Is the LC perfect? No, of course not, and neither were the dozens of vehicles I've owned before this one. There are things I don't like about it, but they are very few compared to the positives.

Again, to each their own, but I think we all know that type of person/buyer. The type that will be "annoyed" by a dozen different things no matter what vehicle they purchase. What makes them truly happy is the complaining part. But hey, that's fine. Different strokes for different folks.

I have the same warning, but the key isn't in my Toyota App. It keeps asking me to download it. I was hoping to have it as a back up etc. It downloads when I disconnect my phone and delete the app and download it all again.
Thanks for that info. I've been wondering about how to resolve mine. It seemed to download once but somehow it now asks me to download it again every time and it never completes. Ugh. This feature doesn't seem like a well thought out process at this point.

Thanks for that info. I've been wondering about how to resolve mine. It seemed to download once but somehow it now asks me to download it again every time and it never completes. Ugh. This feature doesn't seem like a well thought out process at this point.
To be clear, it doesn't really provide a permanent fix. I called Toyota Brand Engagement to open a ticket. It resolves for a bit and gets weird again. This is a bug that will eventually get resolved through a software update.

None of this tech stuff makes me doubt the vehicle's reliability, or build quality.

Thanks for sharing as I don’t follow the FB groups. I read through everything hoping to find some nuggets of insight… but came up empty. Honestly 38 days, no matter how bad your first impression is of a vehicle, isn’t quite long enough to make a long term decision.

I haven’t experienced TSS & Toyota’s implementation of modern automatic safety features, but I can’t see how it’s any worse than any other manufacturers. Which for me seem to work fine.

Beyond that it sounds like he should’ve bought a higher trim, should’ve read some of the 1,000 pages to learn the car better, or perhaps just should’ve stuck with the old school 4R as that’s the last of its kind. Perhaps as unlikely as it may be, hopefully he held on to his 4R & will happily keep driving that.

I'm sure many have seen this on the facebook group, but I just saw this post, and it's concerning. Wondering if anyone has had similar experiences to this. Please comment.

View attachment 8625

He're's an excerpt explaining his reasoning:

Bottom line, it was two main things: It did not make me happy and it did not seem like a good trade for $60K.
A little background. I am financially stable. I live an active lifestyle and engage in outdoor sports/activities often. I am tech savvy and like automation when it makes sense and is useful. I came from a 2020 T4R OR. I am the target market for the LC and planned to use it as intended, as a family fun vehicle. On paper, the LC seemed like the perfect candidate.
Things I greatly disliked:
1. The TSS 3.0 stuff is very intrusive and annoying to deal with. Pulling into my garage it would still autobrake when I got close to the wall. Yes, even with PDA off. Yes, even with collision detection off. It is all poorly executed and I would rather not have 90% of it. It slowly ate away at my ownership experience. I was often wondering what was going to intrude on me or annoy me next.
2. Needless complexity. The manual is almost 1000 pages. The quick reference guide is 300 pages. If you need 1000 pages to explain how all the stuff in your SUV works, you have a complexity problem. If you have to have a manual specifically for the infotainment, you have a complexity problem. If even your quick reference guide is 300 pages, you have a complexity problem. Most features should be intuitive and self-explanatory. Many other vehicles are able to pull this off without needing 1000 page manuals.
Try going from station 1 to 20 on Sirius XM with your steering wheel controls. You can’t. You have to use the - + control on the infotainment screen. So maybe save every station 1-50 as a preset? Nope. Sorry. 20 preset limit. This problem has endured for something like 12 years. My 2012 Corvette was the same way. My 2020 T4R OR was the same. Incredibly annoying. There is literally no way to simply browse the stations one by one without taking your hand off the steering wheel.
No reason to go over the dash menu system. It is a train wreck and needlessly complicated, as I am sure most people already know.
3. Aesthetics and low budget feel. I do not like the Prado association. The Prado is a lower market vehicle. The dash and infotainment screens of the 1958 do not match what a $60K vehicle should have. A Camry gives you a bigger infotainment screen at half the price. I get it, they are trying to push you to the LC trim, but it is still a $60K vehicle. The rear compartment has vents and USB-C ports indicating they did not prepare for or plan for having a separate rear interior for the markets with no third row. Feels like they did not finish development or just said “screw it.” The mirror and gizmo pod blocks a large portion of an already small windshield.
4. Stuff that did not work right. The dash would display “window open” when my DS door was open. No, the window was not cracked. Somehow, that magically fixed itself after a month of ownership. The infotainment ambient light brightness control is completely nonfunctional. Even when it is dark out, the screen is blindingly bright. The ambient light control is simply nonfunctional. In a strange twist, two days ago, my infotainment and all controls/settings randomly reset themselves. The screen went back to the daytime theme and supernova brightness. All electronic nannies were back on to annoy me. For some reason when using apple carplay the volume is half as loud as all the other sources. You have to crank it up to hear it. The cruise control icon is always on. It never goes away, regardless of whether I am using cruise or not. Even in park. Regardless of the settings or amount of times I push the steering wheel button.
5. The hybrid driveline system is clunky. There is an obvious jerk when the engine kicks in. The hybrid system seems to do nothing at low speeds where it is likely the most useful (stop and go traffic) because the engine kicks on at anything over “idle speed.” There is a delay when you hit the gas from a stop. When pulling out in traffic you have to floor it to get to traffic speed fast enough to not hold everyone else up.
6. Aside from the vehicle itself, another thing I do not like is the general path/direction of Toyota. Between the Tundra and GX engine recall, forcing everyone into hybrids if you want a Camry, and increasing data collection practices, I just do not want to be a part of it. There has been a departure from their company values and culture and it is costing them a lot.
Things I liked about it.
1. Distinctive style and heritage. Nothing else looks like it. Everyone wants to know what it is and wants to talk about it.
2. The hybrid system. It saves gas and when it is assisting the gas engine, you can definitely feel it…as long as you are already moving. Having a built-in 2400W inverter at your disposal is fantastic and a huge asset for campers.
3. Spacious interior. Plenty of room, but still did not feel like a “huge” vehicle.
4. Off-road capability/suspension. On light off-road, it does not even feel like you are off-road at all; it feels like you are still on pavement. On road, it is easy to get around and comfortable to drive. Toyota got this right.
I love mine. I don't begrudge him his opinion or his decision. It has taken me a while to get used to the technology and I am also very technology savvy. But my other car is 7 years old and not a Toyota so it's different. To me, different is just different. There doesn't have to be a better or worse.

Most of these "concerns" can be understood with a bit homework in advanced. Did you not to do any homework before you pay? Things like interior, IVI and TSS should be one of the first things you understand from dealership and YouTube video.

Among them the one I disagree the most of complaint about the documentation. A vehicle is a big collection of the system. Why are you complaining that manufacturer giving you more information? You should complaint if they give you only a 100-page manual. If you don't want a complex car get a simple one with no feature at all. But again all cars are complicated these days, you might as well just get a LC from 90s if you want a capable and simple car. and don't blame Toyota for the electrification thing, blame US, EU, and all the primary governing body in the world. They pushed for the emission standard higher and higher or you get fined. Everybody has to electrify their car today for compliances.

If I can make a recommendation, maybe I'll say you should go with GX. You will still complain but significantly less. or you could go get a G-class, if that is your thing.

I think he is not mentally ready to get a new car, still hiding himself in his comfort zone not willing to accept the new world. But somehow he was infected with this Land Cruiser fever thing and thought he find a better world.

BTW if I have a 2020 4Runner I will not buy this LC. That 4Runner is going to be one of the most reliable car Toyota ever made. This J250 will not be able to match it. I do not understand why he get LC in the first place. If I have to take a guess he will probably turn around to buy a Sequoia or LX instead, since he is "financially stable" enough to buy a new car every four years

To be clear, it doesn't really provide a permanent fix. I called Toyota Brand Engagement to open a ticket. It resolves for a bit and gets weird again. This is a bug that will eventually get resolved through a software update.

None of this tech stuff makes me doubt the vehicle's reliability, or build quality.
I had that digital key on my 2022 Lexus NX 350. Two years. It wasn’t ready for prime time then, and it isn’t ready for prime time now. If they haven’t fixed or improved it in two years, I don’t have any high hopes for the future of this digital key with Toyota.

I had that digital key on my 2022 Lexus NX 350. Two years. It wasn’t ready for prime time then, and it isn’t ready for prime time now. If they haven’t fixed or improved it in two years, I don’t have any high hopes for the future of this digital key with Toyota.
That's genuinely disappointing to hear. Interestingly, I just looked at my app and found it had magically worked itself out.

TL;DR. To each his own but i stopped reading when he said he couldnt get the emergency auto breaking to turn off when he leaves his garage. The button is right next to you man.

Complaining about the manual being too long is amazing.

And for you prospective buyers, I feel no “clunk” at all when the hybrid system engages. It feels absolutely seamless and I have been amazed at how well it switches back and forth without the driver ever feeling it.
Most of the time, I would be completely unaware of the transition if I weren’t watching my gauges.
Yeah, I may be accused of babying mine but I have a whopping 94 miles on it in in-town driving and on 599 at speeds of 60 - 75 mph and haven't noticed any issues. Driving 72 mph @ 1600 rpm like floating on air. I think I am really going to love this Cruiser. Will never trust my wife to back it out of the garage though as it is tight though the enter/exit, and is barely below the 7 foot roll up door. Then again, she never wanted to enter/exit with the AWD Pilot either. Do most of the 18" rims come with Michelin tires as that is what mine came with?

I think he is not mentally ready to get a new car, still hiding himself in his comfort zone not willing to accept the new world. But somehow he was infected with this Land Cruiser fever thing and thought he find a better world.

BTW if I have a 2020 4Runner I will not buy this LC. That 4Runner is going to be one of the most reliable car Toyota ever made. This J250 will not be able to match it. I do not understand why he get LC in the first place. If I have to take a guess he will probably turn around to buy a Sequoia or LX instead, since he is "financially stable" enough to buy a new car every four years
My vote, is medication might help.. maybe 6 months of Prozac..

I sold my 1958 after 45 days. I wrote my experience on this forum. Idk who that dude is, but I’ve seen a lot of 1958s on carvana, so it’s not an abnormal thing.

Last edited:

I’m not ready to buy a new vehicle, but an accident on Friday in my beloved 2015 Chevrolet SS that mangled the front bumper cover might force my hand. Repair parts are extremely difficult to find, so it may be totaled once all is said and done.

My plans to acquire a Land Cruiser may have been moved up. Crappy time to buy one given scarcity, so might have to go another direction.

I sold my 1958 after 45 days. I wrote my experience on this forum. Idk who that dude is, but I’ve seen a lot of 1958s on carvana, so it’s not an abnormal thing.
I have seen quite a few for sale as well unfortunately, they all seem to be under 3000 miles

Back