Round headlights after the FE?

Proyota

📛 Founding Member
Aug 9, 2024
Media
Mukilteo, WA
Vehicles
2024 Toyota Land Cruiser
My understanding is that the first edition is a limited production model, and it comes with the round headlamps. Do we know if the next model year will only contain two models (1958 and LC/LC Premium)? Would Toyota possibly maybe the round headlamps available as an option on the LC, or would there continue to be a model positioned above LC/LC Premium, which would have the rounds?

Thank you

Hello Proyota. Welcome! Be aware the round headlights have been receiving some disappointing reviews re coverage.

They will probably release a new third version, like the LC ”heritage edition” or LC “classic”. It will basically be LC LC with round headlights.

Or they can make round headlights an optional equipment for LC LC.

Hello Proyota. Welcome! Be aware the round headlights have been receiving some disappointing reviews re coverage.
I own the 1958 variant and have no complaints about the round headlights...they work just fine...different but fine. Perhaps folks were thinking that these headlights would be active, meaning they move with the steering, but they are not. I have that feature on other cars I own...and cringe at the cost to repair/replace. I believe the LC is built for reliability and dependability...where simple but effective is best.

I own the 1958 variant and have no complaints about the round headlights...they work just fine...different but fine. Perhaps folks were thinking that these headlights would be active, meaning they move with the steering, but they are not. I have that feature on other cars I own...and cringe at the cost to repair/replace. I believe the LC is built for reliability and dependability...where simple but effective is best.
Good to hear MHead. The comparisons were between the rectangular and round. Yes, on our Highlander the headlights are auto-leveling, a nice feature, but any repair could be expensive!

the complaint is about the weird shadow that is cast, dont go look you cant unsee it if you haven't noticed yet =)

Attachments

• 583D8B03-0947-4BE5-AAF8-DC2720588FFA.jpeg
    583D8B03-0947-4BE5-AAF8-DC2720588FFA.jpeg
    362.6 KB · Views: 61
Are there markets other than the US that get the round headlights? In some markets I've only seen the two different rectangular light options -- the projectors we get and a reflector set.

I can't imagine Toyota would drop the 1958 bare bones model. Will it still have round headlights? No idea, I don't think they've ever had different trims with such radically different headlights so it's hard to say. Maybe the 1958 equivalent will switch to the reflectors?

The First Edition top of the line replacement model is harder to guess for me at least. Maybe some other special edition like the FJs had with all the off-road options but nothing else radically different? The round headlights would be a way to make it different, but I'm still super confused by the bare bones and high end model having the same headlights!

It's my belief that the FE got the round headlights as a one time-throwback. In the future, I think, the 1958 will retain round headlights and all other trims will get the square.

I never understood the excitement about the round headlights. I think the square ones look just as nice.
I would assume that headlights are very expensive parts and Toyota will move away from carrying two different types. Add to that that they would have to have different fronts, separate quality controls, extra stocks for repairs across the world. So my prediction is that for cost effectiveness they will move to square only in the near future. Round ones will come up every 5-10 years on a special model for a hefty price.

I finally have seen Land Cruisers in person today with both round and rectangular headlights. Both my wife and I strongly prefer the rectangular units, fortuitous that they also seem to perform better too.

Also saw GX550 at the same dealership, we subjectively prefer the cosmetics of the Land Cruiser over the GX550 as well.

GX is now to be ruled out given the distance from where we live to the nearest dealer, a 5 hour drive to get warranty service isn’t gonna fly.

So next year I will start getting serious about finding one and outfitting it as parts become available. Going for an all around multi-purpose rig, so 18” wheels LC trim. Debating the premium package. Otherwise in priority order:

1.) Proper all terrain tires, nothing crazy just a well balanced multi-purpose AT with decent off road and on road traction. We don’t see a ton of mud in my area so they don’t have to be super aggressive.

2.) TRD skid plates.

3.) As availability allows a larger fuel tank.

Last edited:
GX is now to be ruled out given the distance from where we live to the nearest dealer, a 5 hour drive to get warranty service isn’t gonna fly.
In exactly the same boat, 4 hours one-way to the nearest Lexus dealer. Besides, except the Overtrail variant with a dumbed-down HVAC system, the GX is a street queen.

Back