Only getting 17mpg

I got 25.5 MPG at 70mph. And GX reporting that?

No.

At the moment your observed mileage is outside the norm of most others reporting here.

What trim and tires are you driving?

Genuinely curious, the LC would be way more convenient to get service locally for me. However it seems to be missing a ton of power that Toyota claims but it’s not showing up to the party, the fuel tank is too small, and mileage isn’t living up to claims for most users.

Power wise the LC have a better city drive.
I test drove the GX and the LC twice before get it.
Passing power I also prefer the LC.
the only lack of power (compared to the GX) I feel is from dead stop, which I think is a fair trade for the 22 MPG city I'm getting latelty.

MPG varies widely based on driver habits. I’ve had my LC for 1 week today and am just about at 1000 miles. I drive a lot in a mixture of highway and metro Atlanta city driving. I do long trips to the coast and to Tennessee. I have been driving like I normally do. I average 66-75 mph on the highway and 45-55 mph elsewhere. My average MPG has been between 21 to 23. I’m riding on stock 20s. If your in the teens, I don’t know what to say.

Last edited:
Im in the 17mpg camp. highway, city, all about the same. best ive gotten was long highway ride and i was at 18.2. even in Eco.
Im wondering now if I have a mode turned off. My LC engine never seems to turn off. At rest or a stop lite, the Tac always sits just above 1.
My other newer trucks, cars turn off engine when at a stop light.

Im in the 17mpg camp. highway, city, all about the same. best ive gotten was long highway ride and i was at 18.2. even in Eco.
Im wondering now if I have a mode turned off. My LC engine never seems to turn off. At rest or a stop lite, the Tac always sits just above 1.
My other newer trucks, cars turn off engine when at a stop light.
Tow mode should be the only mode keeping your engine on all the time.

Calculating MPG based on gas added from E to Full and miles driven I'm getting 20.5 with about 800 miles on the odo. Mostly highway driving with lots of stop and go on the drive home each day. Usually, I'm in Normal mode but have been using Eco on this tank of gas to see if there is a major difference. Hoping over the next thousand miles that number gets up to 22-23 so when I add the 34" KO3s in Sept/Oct I can hopefully still get north of 19 mpg. Wishful thinking I'm sure lol.

I usually get under 20.
At 50 on flat land without stopping it’ll hit 25.
I get 12 pulling 3k lbs teardrop on freeway

I’ve been watching this thread because I was very curious how everyone else was doing, and I think I’ve decided to just enjoy my vehicle.

It’s fun! I like it. I hope it’s efficient. Happy cruising.
Same- I decided today (getting 19 ) to switch screens and stop looking

There are a few reporting in the 20’s for mileage on the highway. Not enough for me to think that is a realistic expectation.
A few reporting in the 20's for the Lexus? About half the responses in this thread have been in the 20's. Here's the distribution:

chart.png

Quick take: this distribution does make me wonder if there's some common/frequently occurring factor that causes several people to be stuck around 17, but I have no idea what it would be.

The longer version:
The big caveat with this data set is that with the title of the thread, and as it goes in general with problems, the data set likely over represents problematic values (near 17 mpg). The mean and median values are both 20 MPG, the most common value is around 21-22. But it's not a very uniform or Gaussian distribution as I'd expect -- It's small number statistics to claim much, but it does look a little like a binomial distribution with a lower peak around the 17's. With the very limited data in this thread there was no obvious correlation with tires, wheels, trim, or even AC use -- most of those looked like maybe a 1mpg-ish difference alone. Not a 17 vs. 21 mpg difference. Short trips (and low MPG) vs. highway driving (and generally much better mpg) was a theme in several posts.

We will need a larger data set with more details of the other variables to get more solid data.

I was getting about 17 mpg driving normally until a couple days ago. Hit about 550 miles on the odometer and all of a sudden getting about 20 mpg driving the same types of trips and driving. This is with 275/70R18 E load KO3s.

A few reporting in the 20's for the Lexus? About half the responses in this thread have been in the 20's. Here's the distribution:

View attachment 7403

Quick take: this distribution does make me wonder if there's some common/frequently occurring factor that causes several people to be stuck around 17, but I have no idea what it would be.

The longer version:
The big caveat with this data set is that with the title of the thread, and as it goes in general with problems, the data set likely over represents problematic values (near 17 mpg). The mean and median values are both 20 MPG, the most common value is around 21-22. But it's not a very uniform or Gaussian distribution as I'd expect -- It's small number statistics to claim much, but it does look a little like a binomial distribution with a lower peak around the 17's. With the very limited data in this thread there was no obvious correlation with tires, wheels, trim, or even AC use -- most of those looked like maybe a 1mpg-ish difference alone. Not a 17 vs. 21 mpg difference. Short trips (and low MPG) vs. highway driving (and generally much better mpg) was a theme in several posts.
Thats great and what ive noted too. Im in the 17mpg. And ive tried driving real conservative. No help.
I toggled tow on and off. So not that.

Do the 20+ mpg folks note if it stays in battery mode (zero on Tac) when driving slow?
Mine goes right to engine when moving. No matter how lightly I drive, Tac moves unless coasting.

I read some see battery only mode when driving slow.

I am personally not overly concerned with stop and go driving efficiency. Almost all of my miles are put on driving rural two lane highways. I just accept bad fuel efficiency in town. It’s a very small town we have one traffic light. My commute is 24 miles one way on a two lane highway.

No.

At the moment your observed mileage is outside the norm of most others reporting here.

What trim and tires are you driving?

Genuinely curious, the LC would be way more convenient to get service locally for me. However it seems to be missing a ton of power that Toyota claims but it’s not showing up to the party, the fuel tank is too small, and mileage isn’t living up to claims for most users.
LC LC trim with 20 inch wheel, 34 psi (cold). I use 93 octane fuel. In my opinion, how you brake is as important to how you accelerate with hybrids. Coasting as much as possible is the best, if coasting is not possible, applying low/moderate brake pressure over a longer distance is much better than sudden braking. You basically want to maximize energy recapture by limiting the usage of hydraulic brakes.

Last edited:
LC LC trim with 20 inch wheel, 34 psi (cold). I use 93 octane fuel. In my opinion, how you break is as important to how you accelerate with hybrids. Coasting as much as possible is the best, if coasting is not possible, applying low/moderate break pressure over a longer distance is much better than sudden breaking. You basically want to maximize energy recapture by limiting the usage of hydraulic breaks.
OK this is petty but it's driving me crazy...... it's "Brake" not "Break"

Pulled in data from IH8MUD (eliminating obvious duplicates from here) and one YouTube video. The IH8MUD thread is about MPG in general, not specifically low MPG, and has a lower proportion of low MPG reports. But also only about a dozen (non-duplicate) reports compared to almost 40 here.

Average stays at about 20, median is 20.5, 21-22 remains the most common range. And it looks increasingly like a bimodal distribution with one peak around 17.something and the other around 21.something. So why does this distribution look like we're looking at two different vehicles? If it were driving style, driving speed, driving conditions, I'd expect more of a continuum and not two peaks with a gap in-between.

chart (1).png

Pulled in data from IH8MUD (eliminating obvious duplicates from here) and one YouTube video. The IH8MUD thread is about MPG in general, not specifically low MPG, and has a lower proportion of low MPG reports. But also only about a dozen (non-duplicate) reports compared to almost 40 here.

Average stays at about 20, median is 20.5, 21-22 remains the most common range. And it looks increasingly like a bimodal distribution with one peak around 17.something and the other around 21.something. So why does this distribution look like we're looking at two different vehicles? If it were driving style, driving speed, driving conditions, I'd expect more of a continuum and not two peaks with a gap in-between.

View attachment 7481
Bi modal distribution could be coming from primary city vs highway drivers.

Back