Only getting 17mpg

Just did a weekend trip to Canada and back and the total average as 23.9 MPG
Around 70-80mph on I5 back and forth. and plenty of powerful passes/merges.
Like many mentioned here, just watch the battery gauge and it can help so much.
My daily commute I get around 23 mpg in and 19 mpg back (20 miles roundtrip, 600 ft difference and multiple hills between work/home)

And still less than 1000 miles in.

I haven’t been able to see how to get battery to charge above 4 bars

I haven’t been able to see how to get battery to charge above 4 bars
I don’t think you need to focus on that when it comes to efficiency. There’s a dynamic bar that swings between 0mpg and 60mpg in real time as you’re driving. Just focus on how that bar reacts to your driving and you’ll quickly learn how to drive the truck for efficiency

I understand that but also if battery is low the hybrid doesn’t work?
The max gauge is that battery usage

I understand that but also if battery is low the hybrid doesn’t work?
The max gauge is that battery usage
I have seen it charge to near full (image below). But keep in mind hybrid controller will try to keep the charge level in middle so that there is capacity for regenerative breaking. If the battery is full, it cannot be charged and therefore the energy is lost during breaking. An empty battery is more efficient to charge.

Attachments

• IMG_6044.jpeg
    IMG_6044.jpeg
    121.1 KB · Views: 61
FWIW, the same thread over on the other forum is reporting regularly in the 20s …

I have seen it charge to near full (image below). But keep in mind hybrid controller will try to keep the charge level in middle so that there is capacity for regenerative breaking. If the battery is full, it cannot be charged and therefore the energy is lost during breaking. An empty battery is more efficient to charge.
I have no idea how to display that in my FE.

I have no idea how to display that in my FE.
Procedure to get it to displayed is given on pages 106-112 of owners manual. You basically need to hold the OK key on the steering wheel and then you can select what to display in each area of the cluster screen.

Picked up my 1958 today. Trying my best to get good mileage, I got 27 MPG on my way home, mostly highway, not exceeding 70 mph. EV mode is fun, I was able to climb up my driveway and into the garage without the ICE kicking in.

FYI the charge level gauge is for the 12V, not the hybrid battery.
This is incorrect. It does not mirror 12v battery if you monitor it side by side. Manual likely has a mistake for this.

Last edited:
hybrid battery level i displayed below the max out put gauge if you have it selected on center display . It doesn't seem to ever change for me . Braking does not seem to have any affect . My tundra hybrid i could see it go up just from driving on highway , but it doesn't seem to affect it on LC?

hybrid battery level i displayed below the max out put gauge if you have it selected on center display . It doesn't seem to ever change for me . Braking does not seem to have any affect . My tundra hybrid i could see it go up just from driving on highway , but it doesn't seem to affect it on LC?
It charges for me.

Picked up my 1958 today. Trying my best to get good mileage, I got 27 MPG on my way home, mostly highway, not exceeding 70 mph. EV mode is fun, I was able to climb up my driveway and into the garage without the ICE kicking in.
My ‘Miss Daisy’ almost never uses the electric motor only, unless I am at a stop, and the engine stops, but the AC still runs. And I have NEVER pulled away from a stop, under just electric power. The ICE always immediately kicks in. I must be doing something wrong.

I have the same........ today I did go about 1/2 mile by feathering the pedal and staying under 7 mph...... I guess that's good in the parking lot. Now it's a game to see if and how far before the ICE kicks in.....LOL

Just got back from a week away. Drove 3 hrs out and 3 hrs back. Gauge read between 9.6 and 11 l/100km per tankfull. That's 24.5 - 21.5 MPG(US).

normal highway driving, our speed limits are lower so I did 122 km/h (76 mph) on the Trans Canada hwy and 112 (70 mph) on regional highways.

ETA, not by choice but I bought 87 octane fuel as that was all that the gas station has in Clear Lake. No difference on that tankfull.

Last edited:
I had the dealer put on BFG KO2's before I picked up my Land Cruiser FE. They are the same size as the stock (265 70 R18) but I am only getting 17mpg. I have around 2500 miles now and it has not changed. Any one else having the same issue?
I'm getting 17.9mpg on 265/70 R18 Nitto Ridge Grapplers. I have around 800 miles on mine.

Couple hundred kms on our 1958. Love the way this thing drives. The wife and I use a light foot. Our mixed driving has been yielding about 25 MPG. If we’re using country roads, that number goes up.

Back