Only getting 17mpg

Couple hundred kms on our 1958. Love the way this thing drives. The wife and I use a light foot. Our mixed driving has been yielding about 25 MPG. If we’re using country roads, that number goes up.
Yeah man, this thing is sublimely fun to drive; even slow. I try to picture it with a manual and think the shit-eating grin factor would be off the charts…

Update: wrapped up [most of] the 2nd tank, at least according to the gauges. Went in for a fill up and it only took 14.5 gallons. So for my driving conditions, 400+ range seems doable

IMG_2995.jpeg
IMG_2997.jpeg
IMG_2998.jpeg

I have 2000 miles on my FE with Falken wild peak AT4 265/70/18.
My latest tank of premium fuel and being miserly trying hard to use hybrid coasting a lot 18.4 .
That is the best I have done since new .
Highway driving if difficult to get 18 setting cruise at 75mph .

Damn!

I’ve got the same tires and I’m getting 21.1 mpg combined city/highway in normal mode.

I have 2000 miles on my FE with Falken wild peak AT4 265/70/18.
My latest tank of premium fuel and being miserly trying hard to use hybrid coasting a lot 18.4 .
That is the best I have done since new .
Highway driving if difficult to get 18 setting cruise at 75mph .
Another inmate mentioned that EPA estimates are based on driving at 55 mph, in no wind. Wind resistance is a beotch.

Another inmate mentioned that EPA estimates are based on driving at 55 mph, in no wind. Wind resistance is a beotch.

Well I don’t know but I will say my tundra hybrid is about the same with 87 octane so far maybe some better around town , but worse on highway.
I didn’t buy the LC for fuel savings , so anything above 17 is good for me .

Yeah they simulate wind drag by increasing the resistance on rollers.

They also said that “New vehicles will not obtain their optimal fuel economy until the engine has broken in. This may take 3–5 thousand miles”.

I am still waiting for the hybrid part of the drivetrain to start working. I have NEVER taken off from a stoplight, under electric power. It only does gasoline engine from a strand still, with 619 miles on the odometer.

Last edited:
They also said that “New vehicles will not obtain their optimal fuel economy until the engine has broken in. This may take 3–5 thousand miles”.

I am still waiting for the hybrid part of the drivetrain to start working. I have NEVER taken off from a stoplight, under electric power. It only does gasoline engine from a strand still, with 619 miles on the odometer.
Me either, I’m at 4500 miles now. It doesn’t run on electric power for me.

Yeah man, this thing is sublimely fun to drive; even slow. I try to picture it with a manual and think the shit-eating grin factor would be off the charts…
How do you know when the electric battery is kicking in? Is that the “max “ gauge ? If so, why isn’t it lit up at stop light when the ICE shuts off ?

How do you know when the electric battery is kicking in? Is that the “max “ gauge ? If so, why isn’t it lit up at stop light when the ICE shuts off ?
The MAX gauge will show you when the hybrid is being used.

And if you have the tach on your display, you'll see it go to 0 RPM when you are under full electric.

I have another thought... Shocking... I know

I have been kinda bummed that I'm only getting about 18MPG with my new LC with less than 200 miles on it... Then it hit me!

I'm driving in 116 degree heat with a car that uses the hybrid battery to run the Air conditioner!

With this heat... the A/C has to be in overdrive... sucking the power and making the engine run.. way more... than if it was only 80 degrees

So... What affect does running the A/C or Heat in extreme enviroments have on MPG?

You guys getting 22 + MPG... What is your ambient temp?

You guys getting 18 MPG if your lucky... What is your ambient temp?

It's got to be a factor... The issue is how much... if any?
from another thread

from another thread
northern va has been in the mid to upper 90’s with staggering humidity for most of the summer. So far, i’ve mostly driven solo (no wife or kids) so i only run the front ac at about 1/2 fan power on 68 degrees

Someone earlier in the thread mentioned poor gas mileage on short trips. I think that's what is killing my MPG. I've been driving it on ECO mode and driving conservatively for the first 550 miles. The result is around 18 mpg.

I have had very good gas mileage on the highway when using cruise control. I've seen as high as 29.1 mpg on a recent trip at 70-75 mph.

I'm looking forward to that 1000 mile milestone that some have reported.

I had the dealer put on BFG KO2's before I picked up my Land Cruiser FE. They are the same size as the stock (265 70 R18) but I am only getting 17mpg. I have around 2500 miles now and it has not changed. Any one else having the same issue?
17? I'm barely getting 16 but the dealer put Nitto Ridge grapplers on mine. I've done all I can to get more miles but seems like the only way is to drive on the highway and never take a sidestreet lol

This might help.. as I have posted before. I guess it needs it’s own thread..

I have seen this and I have noted a few things about the LC. For reference, I have 1500 miles thus far.

1. I do not see a screen that helps me understand what is going on with the battery as seen in the video. They call it battery screen in the video.
2. I don’t think my LC shuts off when coasting.
3. Eco air conditioning never seems to shut off totally. Even after pressing off, cool air coming out of vents - update…just learned I need to shut off cool box in order for AC to be Off.

In all fairness, I do have WILDPEAK AT4s in a stock size on my LC and I get around 18-19MPG

Last edited:
northern va has been in the mid to upper 90’s with staggering humidity for most of the summer. So far, i’ve mostly driven solo (no wife or kids) so i only run the front ac at about 1/2 fan power on 68 degrees
I’m 17-18 fair amount city drive , stock 20 inch and 100 degree plus outside of Sacramento CA, I don’t think the AC has been off since I got the car , now at 1000 miles .

Back