Only getting 17mpg

This thread tells me all I need to know about the hybrid system. It’s a power adder and not a fuel economy enhancement.

As a power adder it seems to be lackluster based on acceleration numbers.

Between the poor acceleration compared to the LC’s stablemate the GX550, and the mediocre fuel mileage both get I’d rather have more power and a larger fuel tank.
I believe it’s a torque adder. Vehicle goes zero to 30 very well. And the torque is there for off-roading. It’s not there to jump you from 30-60.

Seriously, can I take driving lessons from you???
Try putting the hybrid gauge on the instrument cluster and try to move with electric motor as much as possible. You eventually get a hang of how maximize the usage hybrid system.

For stopping, try to not to hard break. Riding the break to gradually bring you to a stop is better then coasting until the last second and doing a hard stop. Basically, the electric motor and battery cannot slow you down at an extremely high rate. So if you hard break, friction breaks are used to make up for the difference that the electric motor/battery cannot provide, and kinetic energy is wasted as heat.

I believe it’s a torque adder. Vehicle goes zero to 30 very well. And the torque is there for off-roading. It’s not there to jump you from 30-60.
It is actually faster 30-50 MPH compared to GX based and car and driver testing (3.4 vs 3.6 seconds). Hypothetically, if hybrid controller allowed full power from the electric motor from 0-60, it would probably match or maybe even be faster than GX due to less turbo lag. But the hybrid controller reduces power from the electric motor at low speeds and high speeds since the intent is not to increase 0-60.

Like you said, Toyota mainly designed it as a torque enhancer. Nobody is buying a LC for 0-60. But unlike the GX, LC can apply something like 150 lbs of torque instantaneously from the electric motor, without the need to rev the ICE. Which matters a lot for conditions LC is designed for.

Last edited:
30-50 acceleration is pointless to be realistic, no one is passing on a two lane highway in that speed range. The GX550 massacres the LC in highway passing ability and acceleration. Look at the 1/4 mile times and trap speeds plus the 0-100 acceleration.

The hybrid system is clearly programmed to offer only very limited assistance in this case but adds hundreds of pounds of dead weight most of the time.

LC should have gotten the V35A/10 speed.

30-50 acceleration is pointless to be realistic, no one is passing on a two lane highway in that speed range. The GX550 massacres the LC in highway passing ability and acceleration. Look at the 1/4 mile times and trap speeds plus the 0-100 acceleration.

The hybrid system is clearly programmed to offer only very limited assistance in this case but adds hundreds of pounds of dead weight most of the time.

It’s definitely true that if looking for what gives you the best action in passing at freeway speeds is a determinant for you then this is not the right fit. That’s not really the selling point or purpose. I find it more than adequate for that, even compared to my 5.3 Chevy V8, but it’s not an autobahn vehicle by any means.

Yeah because people buy an LC for 0-100 acceleration. If that is what I am looking for, I would buy a X5, not GX. By the way 50-70 MPH for LC vs GX is 4.7 vs 4.9 seconds, so LC is faster for most highway passing conditions, unless you are trying to pass someone going 80 mph or somethings.

How many RPMs GX needs to be at to produce 150 lbs at torque? LC can do it at 0 RPM.

Last edited:
Try putting the hybrid gauge on the instrument cluster and try to move with electric motor as much as possible. You eventually get a hang of how maximize the usage hybrid system.

For stopping, try to not to hard break. Riding the break to gradually bring you to a stop is better then coasting until the last second and doing a hard stop. Basically, the electric motor and battery cannot slow you down at an extremely high rate. So if you hard break, friction breaks are used to make up for the difference that the electric motor/battery cannot provide, and kinetic energy is wasted as heat.
I've been curious if there is a hybrid gauge -- can anyone provide a picture? Seems like Toyota is going for something slightly different in this hybrid implementation and I'll probably need help figuring out how to drive this thing.

I've been curious if there is a hybrid gauge -- can anyone provide a picture? Seems like Toyota is going for something slightly different in this hybrid implementation and I'll probably need help figuring out how to drive this thing.

Attachments

• IMG_6044.jpeg
    IMG_6044.jpeg
    121.1 KB · Views: 68
The horizontal bar in the middle above the ‘total average’ box is the one to watch, imo. Not sure where it is on the non-1958s

IMG_2926.jpeg

Yeah because people buy an LC for 0-100 acceleration. If that is what I am looking for, I would buy a X5, not GX. By the way 50-70 MPH for LC vs GX is 4.7 vs 4.9 seconds, so LC is faster for most highway passing conditions, unless you are trying to pass someone going 80 mph or somethings.

How many RPMs GX needs to be at to produce 150 lbs at torque? LC can do it at 0 RPM.

Yeah passing people on two lane highways with 65 or 70 mph speed limits means I am commonly seeing 85-90 mph. Sometimes I have to pass 2-3 dawdling tourists at a time. Acceleration performance is important, and the LC by the numbers is a slug up there.

Yeah passing people on two lane highways with 65 or 70 mph speed limits means I am commonly seeing 85-90 mph. Sometimes I have to pass 2-3 dawdling tourists at a time. Acceleration performance is important, and the LC by the numbers is a slug up there.
LC is faster 50-70 as well, and they have nearly identical 1/4 miles times if you ignore 0-30 MPH (14.7 vs 16.2 seconds, which is has the exact 1.5 second difference that the 0-60 has). So LC falls behind GX during the 0-30, catches up to it a tiny bit during 30-70. There is almost no difference for highway passing.

Last edited:
Sounds like it's not the vehicle for you. That's all good, I'm glad there a lot of options on the market today.

Last edited:
Sounds like it's not the vehicle for you. That's all good, I'm glad there a lot of option on the market today.

You’re probably right. I could have maybe accepted the downgrade in highway passing power from my current 1/2 ton pickup if the LC actually achieved 25 MPG in the highway but no one seems to get close that. So hard pass from me unless Toyota gives it a real engine. If fuel economy is going to suck give me a larger fuel tank and some damned power.

Is that the little lines that go back and forth on the left side of the screen, the white one all the over to 60 when you are coasting, and the other one underneath it that indicates your actual mpg?

Last edited:
My tundra hybrid on had 30 more hp than the non hybrid models , but at 400 hp vs 430 hp both are plenty , but the hybrid did help around town mpg and definitely helped with towing .
The same is true for LC , but has 102 less hp and about same weight .
My Porsche has approx 400 hp and can’t tow worth a darn and is terrible off road , but neither Toyota can come close to the Porsche speed and handling , what are your goals for your automobile?
So one day toyota will make a transformer vehicle that will do everything well

Is they the little lines that go back and forth on the screen, the white one all the over to 60 when you are coasting, and the other one underneath it that indicates your actual mpg?
There is a specific gauge that you can select to display that shows the power coming from the electric motor.

30-50 acceleration is pointless to be realistic, no one is passing on a two lane highway in that speed range.
Actually, I will use it for just that once out of the break-in period..

There is a specific gauge that you can select to display that shows the power coming from the electric motor.
I’m still looking through things. I don’t even know how to navigate around in that mess.

Back