Oil and Filter Change, easy peasy.

The tundra issues are from engine plant in Alabama for tundras built in Texas . This issue has nothing to do with engines built in Japan and assembled in Tahara Japan .
With that clear I am still going to do an oil change at 1000 miles just to flush normal breakin debri and chemical as the oil geek describes then every 5 k miles

This thread may contain affiliate links of Ebay and Amazon – in return our forum earns a small commission for referral.
The tundra issues are from engine plant in Alabama for tundras built in Texas . This issue has nothing to do with engines built in Japan and assembled in Tahara Japan .
The recall and related failures are for ALL of the non-hybrid engines, including those installed in the Lexus and manufactured in Japan.

I get something different out of this situation than you do. For me, it demonstrates Toyota new product release quality isn't perfect. Debris removal is engine assembly 101 and Toyota let it slip in both the US and Japanese plants for years.

The 2.4T is very new. Hopefully it'll be as good as the other 4-cylinder Toyota engines. That said, it presumably went through the same Toyota design, development, and product release processes that created the 3.4TT. No guarantees here. An early oil/filter change is a quick and easy method to remove manufacturing contaminants if they're in there.

A used oil analysis and filter tear down from one of these engines would sure be interesting.

Yep. Given the V6TT failures, which according to Toyota are from machining debris, I'm going to do an early change and switch to a more aggressive oil filter (Purolator Boss), and use the newest oil to hit the market (Valvoline Restore and Protect). It's a hard working turbo 4 pushing a lot of weight against a lot of air resistance. Plus we tow a boat. Early oil changes will be the norm for us.
I am also considering the new valvoline oil, but with the first change at 500 miles. Why wait.. it’s just money.

Is the Purolater Boss supposed to be better than the OEM Toyota filter? How does the bypass valve compare?

I am also considering the new valvoline oil, but with the first change at 500 miles. Why wait.. it’s just money.

Is the Purolater Boss supposed to be better than the OEM Toyota filter? How does the bypass valve compare?
It's a good point. Maybe I should change it sooner than the 1K I was thinking.

Check out the filter testing from the Brand Ranks Youtube channel. I don't often recommend YT channels, but there are a few out there that do it right. Brand Ranks does it right. The Boss has been a good overall filter in their tests. The Toyota did great in some aspects, but struggled in particulate removal.

It's a good point. Maybe I should change it sooner than the 1K I was thinking.

Check out the filter testing from the Brand Ranks Youtube channel. I don't often recommend YT channels, but there are a few out there that do it right. Brand Ranks does it right. The Boss has been a good overall filter in their tests. The Toyota did great in some aspects, but struggled in particulate removal.
Dang…

The recall and related failures are for ALL of the non-hybrid engines, including those installed in the Lexus and manufactured in Japan.

I get something different out of this situation than you do. For me, it demonstrates Toyota new product release quality isn't perfect. Debris removal is engine assembly 101 and Toyota let it slip in both the US and Japanese plants for years.

The 2.4T is very new. Hopefully it'll be as good as the other 4-cylinder Toyota engines. That said, it presumably went through the same Toyota design, development, and product release processes that created the 3.4TT. No guarantees here. An early oil/filter change is a quick and easy method to remove manufacturing contaminants if they're in there.

A used oil analysis and filter tear down from one of these engines would sure be interesting.
I didnt see anything about lexus on the letter Toyota issued , nor have i heard anything about the lexus , It specifically referred to an engine plant only in Alabama.
I guess if Lexus owners received a letter stating they have a recall then could be . I just haven't seen, heard or read anything about lexus

I didnt see anything about lexus on the letter Toyota issued , nor have i heard anything about the lexus , It specifically referred to an engine plant only in Alabama.
I guess if Lexus owners received a letter stating they have a recall then could be . I just haven't seen, heard or read anything about lexus
Sounds like there's more info to come later, but Lexus LX has been confirmed by Toyota as impacted (made in Japan):

I've had to organize and implement recalls for companies I've worked for in the past, and I understand the complexity involved here. It's a HUGE expense to replace those engines, so I'm thinking Toyota will want to somehow inspect them, but how do you inspect bearings without completely tearing down the engines? Oof. Tough situation and I feel bad for both Toyota and the owners.

I've worked directly with Toyota process engineers and been trained by some of them, and I know how much they care about total quality. This has got to be a gut wrencher for them.

Toyota would be better off just giving high mileage and years warranty.
On drive train or engine only . That way you drive it like you stole it , if it breaks Toyota fixes it .
There is no way they can go into every engine produce for roughly 2 years in tundra and Lexus

I think M12 - 1.25? But don’t hold me to that..

Anyone have thoughts on the ‘Fumoto’ drain valves/plugs?
I had one of these on my Subaru Forester. It was great. I got the one with the longer valve and attached plastic tubing for no mess - no tool oil changes. Just got me a 1958 and looking to put one when I do my first oil change. Not sure what size to get though. The 2024 LC isnt listed on the fumoto website.

I had one of these on my Subaru Forester. It was great. I got the one with the longer valve and attached plastic tubing for no mess - no tool oil changes. Just got me a 1958 and looking to put one when I do my first oil change. Not sure what size to get though. The 2024 LC isnt listed on the fumoto website.
Please let us know what you find out.

Please let us know what you find out.
Found in another thread this is the engine model the LC uses.
Thread '2024 Land Cruiser Engine'
2024 Land Cruiser Engine

Based on my search of other Toyotas that use that engine and checking the Fumoto website, it looks like the LC would use the F103N or one of the F133 models. F133 with the long nipple is out of stock so I’m gonna go with the F103N.

Bought this to loosen and tighten the filter. Works great despite the big warning that it does not fit. $8 on amazon

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240711_184105_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20240711_184105_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    705.4 KB · Views: 55
Bought this to loosen and tighten the filter. Works great despite the big warning that it does not fit. $8 on amazon
I’ve had bad luck with third party oil filter filter wrenches. I just watched a YT video buy TCCN that listed a Toyota brand oil filter wrench. Though he did not give a price.

Anyone familiar with this oil? I'm new to maintaining a hybrid motor. I'm sure it's splitting hairs if you're doing oil changes every 5K miles.

I have about 500 miles on my new LC. I am planning on having an oil change soon. I'm not interested in changing the oil myself.
So,
Would it by OK to take it to a Valvoline Instant Oil Change? They do carry a full synthetic 0-20 oil, and I assume (but will verify) they will have a suitable filter.
Or
Do I need to go back to the dealer and have them do the oil change with their "Toyota" oil and filter?
Thanks!

I have about 500 miles on my new LC. I am planning on having an oil change soon. I'm not interested in changing the oil myself.
So,
Would it by OK to take it to a Valvoline Instant Oil Change? They do carry a full synthetic 0-20 oil, and I assume (but will verify) they will have a suitable filter.
Or
Do I need to go back to the dealer and have them do the oil change with their "Toyota" oil and filter?
Thanks!
I don’t see any of that being an issue as clean oil is better than dirty oil, hands down. The filter the lc uses is pretty common so I’d imagine they’d have an equivalent if not the original part. I picked one up at Walmart.

Getting ready to do my 500 mile break in change. Does anyone know the torque specs of the skid plate bolts? I have the basic skid plate not the upgraded one you find in the FE.

Not a fan of "instant oil change places" you just never quite know what weight oil they are putting in or the quality of filter. For beaters sure, but a 70K vehicle........... I want to see what you are putting in. Main reason I still do my oil changes at home.

Just did the break-in oil change on my 1958. Factory oil filter was really tight. Skid plate set up is a bit different on the 1958. Two pieces--front piece is metal, back piece is plastic. The back plastic piece has a 3-bolt panel to access the oil drain plug so you don't need to remove the entire piece like I did. It has a couple hooks to help hold it in place when you re-mount it. Front metal skid plate still needs to be removed to get to the filter (4 bolts). Same here--it has some hooks to help hold it in place but not as convenient of a set up as the FE skid plate. The oil filter "drain funnel" still drips over the frame a bit which I believe I've read happened with Tacomas. Not a big deal but they should have made the oil cooler bigger so it sticks out an extra half inch :) Only other minor inconveniece is that the engine oil fill hole is shallow due to the shape of the valve cover so my funnel didnt sit it in very well. Overall, an easy oil change.

Attachments

• IMG_9222.jpg
    IMG_9222.jpg
    427.6 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_9219.jpg
    IMG_9219.jpg
    266.1 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_9209.jpg
    IMG_9209.jpg
    342.4 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_9214.jpg
    IMG_9214.jpg