Oil and Filter Change, easy peasy.

Just did the break-in oil change on my 1958. Factory oil filter was really tight. Skid plate set up is a bit different on the 1958. Two pieces--front piece is metal, back piece is plastic. The back plastic piece has a 3-bolt panel to access the oil drain plug so you don't need to remove the entire piece like I did. It has a couple hooks to help hold it in place when you re-mount it. Front metal skid plate still needs to be removed to get to the filter (4 bolts). Same here--it has some hooks to help hold it in place but not as convenient of a set up as the FE skid plate. The oil filter "drain funnel" still drips over the frame a bit which I believe I've read happened with Tacomas. Not a big deal but they should have made the oil cooler bigger so it sticks out an extra half inch :) Only other minor inconveniece is that the engine oil fill hole is shallow due to the shape of the valve cover so my funnel didnt sit it in very well. Overall, an easy oil change.
Factory oil filters are installed by former sumo wrestlers...

Has anyone noticed that the drain plug is not at the lowest point on the pan? I had mine on ramps for the first oil change when I noticed that. I jacked the passenger side up, removed the ramp, and set the pass. side on the ground to get more oil out. Next time I will only use one ramp on the driver's side. Actually, I jacked up the driver's side a little more beyond ramp height and more oil came out. Thinking of getting the FE skid plate so I don't have to remove three separate plates. Yes I know there is a small access plate but oil just pools onto the larger plastic plate when draining out the plug. My .02 . . .
Pool free device.......

Attachments

• Oil Drain valve.jpg
    Oil Drain valve.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 46
That kit will work on pretty much any Toyota or Lexus. Makes life so much simpler, maintenance that is easy and convenient is maintenance that will be performed more often!

Just order it and have it on hand for the first oil change.

I was at my local Toyota dealer today purchasing some new TPMS sensors and decided since I was there might as well buy a new oil filter.........."YZZN1" and it was $6.35....... I normally buy online by the case so very happy with the price!

(edit) they only had 3 TPMS sensors, said the were on back order on a national level.

Last edited:
The owners manual states to run Engine for 5 minutes afterwards. I cranked up the heat and it works, but did anybody put the vehicle in maintenance mode to avoid going to hybrid? I couldn’t find how to do that - the magic combination.

I was at my local Toyota dealer today purchasing some new TPMS sensors and decided since I was there might as well buy a new oil filter.........."YZZN1" and it was $6.35....... I normally buy online by the case so very happy with the price!

How many to a case? I usually try to have 3-4 oil filters on hand, but more is usually better. I will be buying a Land Cruiser for the wife and I if possible this fall or early winter, and my mom will be getting a Grand Highlander around the same time. I’ll have two T24A-FTS’s to maintain.

How many to a case? I usually try to have 3-4 oil filters on hand, but more is usually better. I will be buying a Land Cruiser for the wife and I if possible this fall or early winter, and my mom will be getting a Grand Highlander around the same time. I’ll have two T24A-FTS’s to maintain.
Normally 10 to a case about $50 bucks

(edit) purchased a case today and it was $53.

Last edited:
First oil change complete at 1200 miles, no gas smell, no shiny metallic bits, no dark oil. Looked like clear dark honey just as I had thought it would. Wasn't drip free tho', there's not a ton of room under there and I had accidently placed the oil filter over the oil catch pan's drain hole, let's just say it got very interesting in about 15 seconds........

Yeah…… first oil change never goes smoothly for me either.

Always end up with dirty used oil on my garage floor somehow. LOL.

Hopefully your shiny new Fumoto valve will solve this problem going forward.

Yeah…… first oil change never goes smoothly for me either.

Always end up with dirty used oil on my garage floor somehow. LOL.

Hopefully your shiny new Fumoto valve will solve this problem going forward.
I don't plan on installing that until the two free oil changes are completed. I don't want them to lose the safety clip. But you can bet the next change at 5K, I won't place the filter on the drain holes.....LOL

That’s good, I also was charged for the gasket…, $10 total

Back