Oil and Filter Change, easy peasy.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    327 KB · Views: 86
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    320.3 KB · Views: 98
Just did mine over the weekend. Yes, oil filter seemed like it was welded on. Mangled it off with a vice wrench. Also don't remember seeing a crush washer on the drain plug but it has one now.

Only thing I noticed was that it had more gas smell than what I'm used to. Oil level seemed a tad high too. I feel better knowing what I've got in it now.

Will be holding on to an empty bottle to cut out and use as funnel as soon as ToyotaCare runs out.

So. Just did the oil change today. Things I noticed that were seemingly hard for me.. what’s your ideas or what have you used ?
Wrench to remove and replace oil filter ?
No kidding it’s shallow where you add oil and my funnel was extremely hard to hold steady while pouring oil in (used 5 qt )…. Wish I had single quarts by the end - so funnel ideas to make it easier ?
Otherwise that was not bad at all! This was my first time doing an oil change so that’s saying a lot .. I did do Ramps and took the advice of someone on this forum and put in 4L and I crawled up nice and easy!! So thanks for that.. While my oil was dark.. it was also clear (no shavings that I could see)

Attachments

• IMG_8867.jpeg
    IMG_8867.jpeg
    293.5 KB · Views: 101
So. Just did the oil change today. Things I noticed that were seemingly hard for me.. what’s your ideas or what have you used ?
Wrench to remove and replace oil filter ?
No kidding it’s shallow where you add oil and my funnel was extremely hard to hold steady while pouring oil in (used 5 qt )…. Wish I had single quarts by the end - so funnel ideas to make it easier ?
Otherwise that was not bad at all! This was my first time doing an oil change so that’s saying a lot .. I did do Ramps and took the advice of someone on this forum and put in 4L and I crawled up nice and easy!! So thanks for that.. While my oil was dark.. it was also clear (no shavings that I could see)
Two options:

Take an empty toyota 0w20 1 qt oil container and cut the bottom off, it will then screw into the oil fill hole on the engine.

Buy a Toyota oil funnel & filter socket from amazon.

Gotcha- I didn’t use Toyota oil, but see what you’re saying. I used Valvoline Restore/Repair - I’ll try that next one

Break in and first oil change last night at 970 mainly highway miles. Oil was dark but not cloudy, no gas smell or obvious metal bits. Easy procedure, took off front metal skid-plate and rear plastic "skid-plate" to do the change. I'll be looking to upgrade to the FE front and rear skid plates after seeing these wimpy ones on my Premium package LC trim.
Watched the above livestream yesterday and they're recommending oil changes "every 3-4K miles" on turbo engines due to the heat generated by the turbo. In my relatively high mileage usage (24K miles a year) that would mean oil changes every other month! Ugh!

Break in and first oil change last night at 970 mainly highway miles. Oil was dark but not cloudy, no gas smell or obvious metal bits. Easy procedure, took off front metal skid-plate and rear plastic "skid-plate" to do the change. I'll be looking to upgrade to the FE front and rear skid plates after seeing these wimpy ones on my Premium package LC trim.
Watched the above livestream yesterday and they're recommending oil changes "every 3-4K miles" on turbo engines due to the heat generated by the turbo. In my relatively high mileage usage (24K miles a year) that would mean oil changes every other month! Ugh!
I'm thinking unless you have a heavy foot and really work the turbo, 5K will be ok.

Completed the first oil change at 850 miles, no fuel smell but a little glitter in the oil. I cut open the oil filter to exam for metal shavings and found none. I also sent a sample to BlackStone for their analysis and will update once I get the results.

Completed the first oil change at 850 miles, no fuel smell but a little glitter in the oil. I cut open the oil filter to exam for metal shavings and found none. I also sent a sample to BlackStone for their analysis and will update once I get the results.
What is the best way to cut open an oil filter, without getting metal shavings in the contents of the filter?? Serious question.

What is the best way to cut open an oil filter, without getting metal shavings in the contents of the filter?? Serious question.
I used tin snips to cut around the top and pulled the filter media out, and examined in between the pleats for any metal material. I believe any metal from cutting would be outside the filter media and not embedded in the pleats, if that makes sense.

I’m in my second week of ownership and right at about 2000 miles. I do a lot of miles as part of my work. I’m dint know if every 3-4k miles is feasible for me. That would literally mean maybe every month to month and a half!

The copper washer is a "use once" item. It is a crush washer, when you torque the drain plug to the proper torque, it crushes the copper washer and prevents leaks when everything heats up. It should be changed when ever the oil drain plug is loosened. I have reused them on occasion as I was too lazy to make another trip to the parts counter when there wasn't a new one in the filter box.

Pro tip: when you get the filter from the parts counter and the seal is broken on the box, open it in front of the guy/gal and check for the washer.......... they do not believe you when you tell them "there wasn't one in the box when I opened it". Don't ask how I know this......LOL
Do you remember, or where can I find, the proper torque for the drain plug?

I wish I had changed my oil at 1k. I didn’t realize this was a thing I probably should have done. I’m at 3k and will be doing this asap.

Has anyone noticed that the drain plug is not at the lowest point on the pan? I had mine on ramps for the first oil change when I noticed that. I jacked the passenger side up, removed the ramp, and set the pass. side on the ground to get more oil out. Next time I will only use one ramp on the driver's side. Actually, I jacked up the driver's side a little more beyond ramp height and more oil came out. Thinking of getting the FE skid plate so I don't have to remove three separate plates. Yes I know there is a small access plate but oil just pools onto the larger plastic plate when draining out the plug. My .02 . . .

Back