Oil and Filter Change, easy peasy.

Why do I see picture of fellas changing their oil on ramps? Doesn’t truck need to be flat to drain properly or am I missing a technique that you guys can share bc I d love to make getting clearance possible.

Why do I see picture of fellas changing their oil on ramps? Doesn’t truck need to be flat to drain properly or am I missing a technique that you guys can share bc I d love to make getting clearance possible.

You’re never realistically getting all the old oil out unless you plan to do two oil changes back to back. So using ramps might leave a fraction of a quart more than being perfectly level.

I wouldn’t lose any sleep over it, especially if you’re the kind of guy or gal who is going to cut the OCI down to 5,000 miles or 6 months instead of 10,000 miles or 12 months. If you’re doing that you will essentially always have oil that is nowhere near being over contaminated, or suffering viscosity break down, or additive package degradation. So if a tiny smidge more stays in because you use ramps because that’s easiest but cut the interval in half I think that’s a good trade in the end.

In my case, the driveway is gently sloped, so backing in and using the ramps makes it basically level.

You’re never realistically getting all the old oil out unless you plan to do two oil changes back to back. So using ramps might leave a fraction of a quart more than being perfectly level.

I wouldn’t lose any sleep over it, especially if you’re the kind of guy or gal who is going to cut the OCI down to 5,000 miles or 6 months instead of 10,000 miles or 12 months. If you’re doing that you will essentially always have oil that is nowhere near being over contaminated, or suffering viscosity break down, or additive package degradation. So if a tiny smidge more stays in because you use ramps because that’s easiest but cut the interval in half I think that’s a good trade in the end.
Nice bro thanks for this education 👍

Any issues with the length of the F133N? Going to do my first change this weekend.

Also, what are everyone's thoughts on using Techron? Or does it not matter with premium gas?

Last edited:
Any issues with the length of the F133N? Going to do my first change this weekend.

Also, what are everyone's thoughts on using Techron? Or does it not matter with premium gas?
The F133N IS the recommended valve.

I think Techron is good stuff. There are warnings in the owners manual on using fuel additives, but I think those are related to octane boosters for people who use less than high octane fuel. I guess it wouldn’t hurt to check the manual, and then check the Techron bottle. If you are really worried, I would contact Toyota by email and ask them, rather than take someone’s word on a Toyota forum.

Last edited:
The F133N I athe recommended valve.

I think Techron is good stuff. There are warnings in the owners manual on using fuel additives, but I think those are related to octane boosters for people who use less than high octane fuel. I guess it wouldn’t hurt to check the manual, and then check the Techron bottle. If you are really worried, I would contact Toyota by email and ask them, rather than take someone’s word on a Toyota forum.

Thanks. It's been many years since I changed the oil on any car. Just making sure I'm as prepared as can be.

Those of you draining with F133N... how long does it take to drain? I'm gonna do my first (1,000 mi) oil change here in a few weeks and will collect an oil sample. Just wondering how long I should wait to make sure I can fill the bottle.

I just did the first oil and filter change after break-in @ 1,000 miles. It is one of the easiest to change. Everything is easy to access. The skid plate has 6 12mm bolts. 2 of the boltholes are key holes so you just loosen them and it will hold the weight for removal/install.
Once you have the skid plate off everything is easily accessed.
Bonus. The threads on the oil container thread into the oil filler. You just cut the first one's bottom off and you have a funnel.
Thank you so much for doing this and taking pictures. Your post is what made me sign up to this forum. My dealership is pushing the yearly oil changes (or 16k km), so I'm glad to see its as easy to do as it was on my '02 Sequoia; looks like I'll be doing my own oil changes in between the "free" ones I get from my dealership.

So glad they went back to the cannisters

Getting ready. Will be changing mine this weekend. LC Trim. I'll try to take pictures and document everything, but if anyone has any specific requests, let me know.

1000061082.jpg

Getting ready. Will be changing mine this weekend. LC Trim. I'll try to take pictures and document everything, but if anyone has any specific requests, let me know.
If you could, I'd appreciate some feedback, or a picture of how well the MotoivX 2320 filter wrench fits on the 90915-YZZN1. Amazon tells me it won't fit, but it seems a few people here have used that exact wrench and say its a perfect fit

If you could, I'd appreciate some feedback, or a picture of how well the MotoivX 2320 filter wrench fits on the 90915-YZZN1. Amazon tells me it won't fit, but it seems a few people here have used that exact wrench and say its a perfect fit
From earlier in this thread - a perfect fit:

I used a regular old plier style filter wrench and it worked perfectly fine.

Back