Mark ups

I took home a 1958 yesterday! A bit of a surprise - I am on 5 wait lists (4 with deposits) and was expecting several more months of waiting. Here's the story ...

I do check SmartPath every couple of days and found maybe 5 in the SF bay area this week in stock and not reserved. A few (like Toyota Marin) were not budging on mark ups, but one dealer I contacted told me last Monday that they could sell with a $3k markup. I didn't respond and then 4 hours later they said they could do MSRP if I picked it up that day. I sat on it for a couple days as their 1958 had about $3500 in port installed options which I wasn't thrilled about. However, I was prepared to go check out their 1958 yesterday when I noticed Hayward Toyota had a 1958 in stock. I called and they gave the usual speech about a $3k-$4k markup and I told them I was going to the other dealer to buy at MSRP. Their manager jumped on the call and said they could do MSRP but with a $1k PPF add on. So I went in, test drove and offered $500 for the PPF or I was walking. Sold! Total price before fees/taxes was $58,575. Only options were the $500 for PPF (which I actually kind of like - would have applied PPF to at least the front hood myself), $485 for connected services extension (worthless), $155 for door edge guards (Meh - I don't mind, good color match) and $90 for the wheel locks.

If you are shopping, I suggest that you check Smartpath constantly and chat up the dealers via the phone or live. If you are ready to buy, you might be surprised how quickly they drop the markups.
Thanks for sharing. There are more and more inventory. Sounds like dealers aren’t selling as quickly as they thought with markups.

Thanks for sharing. There are more and more inventory. Sounds like dealers aren’t selling as quickly as they thought with markups.
Unless it’s a First Edition they will be selling at or below msrp before end of year jMHO.
The only badging that I have seen stating FE is on the door trim and mud flaps . Not much to distinguish it .
I have had mine for 2 full days so far FE , not as nice and plush as my 1794 Tundra , much smaller inside . In hindsight if I had not thought the FE was going to be something special should have just bout a 1958 base model and set it up for hunting and Offroad .
Would have saved my $30,000

I took home a 1958 yesterday! A bit of a surprise - I am on 5 wait lists (4 with deposits) and was expecting several more months of waiting. Here's the story ...

I do check SmartPath every couple of days and found maybe 5 in the SF bay area this week in stock and not reserved. A few (like Toyota Marin) were not budging on mark ups, but one dealer I contacted told me last Monday that they could sell with a $3k markup. I didn't respond and then 4 hours later they said they could do MSRP if I picked it up that day. I sat on it for a couple days as their 1958 had about $3500 in port installed options which I wasn't thrilled about. However, I was prepared to go check out their 1958 yesterday when I noticed Hayward Toyota had a 1958 in stock. I called and they gave the usual speech about a $3k-$4k markup and I told them I was going to the other dealer to buy at MSRP. Their manager jumped on the call and said they could do MSRP but with a $1k PPF add on. So I went in, test drove and offered $500 for the PPF or I was walking. Sold! Total price before fees/taxes was $58,575. Only options were the $500 for PPF (which I actually kind of like - would have applied PPF to at least the front hood myself), $485 for connected services extension (worthless), $155 for door edge guards (Meh - I don't mind, good color match) and $90 for the wheel locks.

If you are shopping, I suggest that you check Smartpath constantly and chat up the dealers via the phone or live. If you are ready to buy, you might be surprised how quickly they drop the markups.
Congratulations!

I purchased a 1958 off the lot Friday for straight MSRP at a dealership just outside of DC - no pre-order or reservation. I had an existing order at another dealership (at MSRP) that has been delayed so when I saw this other one pop up I jumped on it.

If anyone in the DC area is looking for a 1958 in Meteor Shower let me know and I can refer you to the other dealership - thy expect the vehicle to arrive between 6/25 & 7/12 - hopefully they'll stick to MSRP.

Dealer removed me off their list because I wanted to decline their in-house ppf stuff. Wondering if it's worth the 2 grand to get the car or wait and see what happens after summer.

I’ve been poking around on gx’s since I’m being impatient and the dealers keep hitting me up dropping their markups. One that had a $15k markup on top of the $8k dealer installed accessories, is down to msrp + dealer installed accessories. I told them I don’t need or want any of the accessories and they are checking what they can do. The same sort of thing happened when I was originally looking at first editions and before I had found my LC trim at no markup.

I don’t think these are selling at the clip they expected - stay strong and I bet msrp can be normal in a few months (esp once the qc hold lifts).

Yesterday I heard from a dealer I’ve used before. He has a Premium Trail Dust coming in. Did I want it at MSRP with zero dealer-installed nonsense. Haha, hell yes I did! Now it has to clear that port-hold issue.

I was contacted by a dealer for a FE that the previous deposit was rescinded. I said great I'll take it. Salesman said $5k uncharge AND a $1500 'inspection fee' since it was their first LC. I said I'll wait. They said they would check to see if they could get the 5k down. Never heard back from them. I would really rather have the LC grade so won't pay more than MRSP for a FE. I'm in no hurry. Only thing so far I've notice is all LC editions have the extra fee 20" wheels, which I don't want.

I have no desire to own a FE LC, or the 1958. I will predict that the headlight performance of the triple projector beam rectangular headlights will be better than the round single projector base model lights. I drive at night a lot in an area with large wildlife, so headlight performance is near the top of the must have list for my use.

I’ve seen a few of LC trim with Premium Package and 18” wheels and that is what I will try to find next year when I hope to be ready to buy.

So Cal dealer called me yesterday. LC w Prem. No markup. Just 5k for an alarm and PPF. Paint prot film. I declined. No problem waiting. My 07 4 runner running strong

SO maddening! I found an LC Trim w/ PP, roof rack and 18's that fit my wants perfectly at a certain dealer in a college town outside of Denver that advertised MSRP on their site. I talked back and forth with the salesman making it clear that I would not pay over MSRP and had multiple options at dealers with clear "MSRP only" policies. He passed me off to his Sales Manager who schooled me in "supply and demand" and said he would easily get the additional 10K dealer adjustment that he was asking. I gave him a few examples of First Editions being offered at MSRP and asked why he thought his $70K mid-level trim was worth $3K more than the MSRP of a First Edition.
He said he might be able to work with me if I was "local, had a trade, and finance with them", but even then would only drop the markup by a little. I told him that MSRP was actually a real thing with other dealers, but he didn't believe it and said the Land Cruiser would "always be a commodity, limited in production and command a premium". I politely thanked him for his time as ultimately it's his business.

I couldn't believe my ears when the salesman said they sold to a lot of "stupid rich people" and they would easily sell their Land Cruisers for big profits.

I can't wait until the QC hold is released and the market is flooded with these "rare and hard to find" :ROFLMAO: Land Cruisers and he's having to face reality. In the meantime, I've got one reserved with one of the few honest dealers that still exist and plan to modify the things I want (add roof rack, 20" wheels swap for 18's) after purchase.

FWIW - This same dealer was recently called out for their practices in a YouTube video about the Land Cruiser by "TFL".

Last edited:
SO maddening! I found an LC Trim w/ PP, roof rack and 18's that fit my wants perfectly at a certain dealer in a college town outside of Denver that advertised MSRP on their site. I talked back and forth with the salesman making it clear that I would not pay over MSRP and had multiple options at dealers with clear "MSRP only" policies. He passed me off to his Sales Manager who schooled me in "supply and demand" and said he would easily get the additional 10K dealer adjustment that he was asking. I gave him a few examples of First Editions being offered at MSRP and asked why he thought his $70K mid-level trim was worth $3K more than the MSRP of a First Edition.
He said he might be able to work with me if I was "local, had a trade, and finance with them", but even then would only drop the markup by a little. I told him that MSRP was actually a real thing with other dealers, but he didn't believe it and said the Land Cruiser would "always be a commodity, limited in production and command a premium". I politely thanked him for his time as ultimately it's his business.

I couldn't believe my ears when the salesman said they sold to a lot of "stupid rich people" and they would easily sell their Land Cruisers for big profits.

I can't wait until the QC hold is released and the market is flooded with these "rare and hard to find" :ROFLMAO: Land Cruisers and he's having to face reality. In the meantime, I've got one reserved with one of the few honest dealers that still exist and plan to modify the things I want (add roof rack, 20" wheels swap for 18's) after purchase.

FWIW - This same dealer was recently called out for their practices in a YouTube video about the Land Cruiser by "TFL".
My 1999 SR5 came from a Little Rock dealership in March of 1999. Wonder who your dealer is. My purchase was with Doenges Ford and Toyota. 99 still runs great. https://www.doengestoyota.com/new-vehicles/

Yep. Let the cool kids pay to be beta testers.

That’s what I did with the Gen 3 Tundra. Glad I did. Dodged a bullet there.

The wailing and gnashing of teeth on Tundra forums is epic right now. Especially the guys who probably paid over list MSRP and now can’t even trade the trucks off because no dealer wants to sit on a used truck they can’t sell because of a safety recall.

Look for some cheap 3rd Gen Tundras for sale next year with new engines. I don’t expect them to hold traditional Toyota resale value at all.

Yep. Let the cool kids pay to be beta testers.

That’s what I did with the Gen 3 Tundra. Glad I did. Dodged a bullet there.

The wailing and gnashing of teeth on Tundra forums is epic right now. Especially the guys who probably paid over list MSRP and now can’t even trade the trucks off because no dealer wants to sit on a used truck they can’t sell because of a safety recall.

Look for some cheap 3rd Gen Tundras for sale next year with new engines. I don’t expect them to hold traditional Toyota resale value at all.
Or some of us could just pay MSRP at reasonable dealers and enjoy our Land Cruisers during the summer and fall. 🤷‍♂️

Back