LC Mid-Tier Trim - Premium or No Premium Package?

I decided on a LCLC nonprem. Still waiting for it to arrive so I can’t speak to the quality of the stereo. I read that the non premium package LC stereo is made by Pioneer. A lifetime ago, I used to buy Pioneer head units, speakers and amps from crutchfield.com and install them in my cars. Multiple systems in multiple vehicles. Always really happy with them back then(late 90s).

Last edited:
Crutchfield is still going strong. I get their newsletter every week.

I decided on a LCLC nonprem. Still waiting for it to arrive so I can’t speak to the quality of the stereo. I read that the non premium package LC stereo is made by Pioneer. A lifetime ago, I used to buy Pioneer head units, speakers and amps from crutchfield.com and install them in my cars. Multiple systems in multiple vehicles. Always really happy with them back then(late 90s).

Thanks for the link. I learned something today.

Everyone's standards are different, but I find the 10-speaker setup in the LCLC non-premium more than enough. It's clear, has enough punch, low distortion and no rattles from any of the panels even at moderate to high volume.

For me it would come down to the deal i could get on either one. I was originally looking LCLC but got an amazing deal on a 1958 so i’m really happy wit that. I think if i had paid even close to MSRP for it i wouldn't be happy - but just knowing i got a deal makes me feel good about mu decision and i am growing to love the basic-ness of it. So if i were you i’d try and negotiate some sort of amazing deal on the non-premium but if that doesn’t work then you got a backup.

For me it also depends on how the dealership treats me, in a big way. If the dealer treats me like a serious customer, i want to reward them with the sale. If they jerk me around, i jerk them around and then don't buy from them.

I'm still discovering features of my non-premium LCLC that really please me.

Just yesterday I learned that my LCLC does have folding mirrors, which work in either automatic or manual mode. I had no idea. A neighbor was checking out my car, discovered the switch (above the mirror adjustor) and figured out what it did. A quick look at pp 179 - 180 of the manual confirmed it.

Who knew?

Crutchfield is still going strong. I get their newsletter every week.
I’ve used them to outfit both of my kids’ cars with better stereos in the last few years. Cool company, though I have wondered how they do in a world where most car audio is bespoke to the car and Sonos has become a legitimate home theater alternative to component systems. I guess they do sell Sonos.

I got an LC non-premium and it came with a sunroof. I prefer the extra space in the center console without the coolbox and the 18" wheels. I didn't care about HUD. The sound system is fine. The brown interior looks really nice, but the black looks good too. The paddle shifters would be cool to have and the passenger side power seat, but I'm glad I got the LC base trim.

I'm pretty happy with the stock sound system in the LCLC No-premium. It also depends on what you usually listen to. The system as is is great for rock/indie-rock and podcasts. I do find that quieter folksy kind of stuff can lose a little bit of mids, making you turn it up just to hear the whole band. I don't listen to bass thumping hip-hop or EDM, so if you do, YMMV.

The low end is great for my purposes (rock music) and you can feel the door speakers doing most of the work there. The door speakers seem pretty great to me.

The higher mids and highs get a little muddy, nothing terrible and your ears will adjust to it quickly (psychoacoustics is a really fun topic to dive into). But if i was going to do anything, upgrading the dash speakers wouldn't be a bad idea. A few folks have done that on here, and there is an entire thread dedicated to it.

Back