Is the LC 250 truly customizable: Can you change media screen (8" for 12.3") and can you swap headlights (square/round)?

perez20

📛 Founding Member
Jun 25, 2024
Costa Rica
Hi!!

Is the new Land Cruiser Prado 250 truly customizable? It was certainly advertised this way.

Imagine you have a base model (lets say the 1958 edition) and you want to change the small entrertaiment display from the (super) small 8"to the 12.3", can this be easily done? Are there function issues given the lack of accessories? can this even be done without the large driver information display?

Can you switch out the round headlights for square ones (and vice versa) without major changes? Will they fit? Same wiring?

Thanks,
JP

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Depending on your skill set, just about anything can be swapped. It has been reported that the Square and Round headlight harnesses are different. The lights and mounts could probably be swapped pretty easily but to go OEM, the wiring harness is very expensive. A person with skills could probably obtain new connectors and pins and with the wiring diagram make it happen.

The screen is probably in the same boat. Being a base model it would not have the high end stereo connections on the head unit, but if the connections are in the harness it would be almost plug-n-play.

Depending on your skill set, just about anything can be swapped. It has been reported that the Square and Round headlight harnesses are different. The lights and mounts could probably be swapped pretty easily but to go OEM, the wiring harness is very expensive. A person with skills could probably obtain new connectors and pins and with the wiring diagram make it happen.

The screen is probably in the same boat. Being a base model it would not have the high end stereo connections on the head unit, but if the connections are in the harness it would be almost plug-n-play.
Wiring connector for Round vs square headlights is identical - should be no problem to swap them. There's only one part number for the headlight connector.

1719625082966.png

Looks like you cannot put the rigid fog lights from the higher trims into the 1958 though, its a separate harness that does not exist in the 1958

G
Wiring connector for Round vs square headlights is identical - should be no problem to swap them. There's only one part number for the headlight connector.

View attachment 3620

Looks like you cannot put the rigid fog lights from the higher trims into the 1958 though, its a separate harness that does not exist in the 1958
Great insight and research.
Are you able to look into the multi cameras option? I see under the rear view mirrors there is a plate that could be replaced with a camera. Curious if the wiring is such that the side and front cameras could be plugged in and the switch installed?
My experience with other Toyotas I’ve owned is that much of the wiring harnesses are installed for all trim levels and often are simple mods to get options. It’s fun figuring them out.

G

Great insight and research.
Are you able to look into the multi cameras option? I see under the rear view mirrors there is a plate that could be replaced with a camera. Curious if the wiring is such that the side and front cameras could be plugged in and the switch installed?
My experience with other Toyotas I’ve owned is that much of the wiring harnesses are installed for all trim levels and often are simple mods to get options. It’s fun figuring them out.
Its a separate harness, you'd have to add the additional harnesses to the vehicle, the camera control unit, and the switch. Some of these parts are restricted for order to only body shops, and the cost of labor to tear apart your vehicle and add all of this would be pretty expensive. Would probably have been cheaper to get the higher trim with these options in the first place haha

The larger and smaller head units are not easily interchangeable, they are locked to the VIN of your vehicle. some people in the Tundra forum had problems with their head units being blacklisted from toyota servers when trying to add the 14" screen to lower trims.

View attachment 3620

My dealership parts dept confirms what you said, but they say the harness has a different part number between FE (round) and LC trim (square). However I’ll be testing out the swap when my vehicle gets out of port and is delivered, then I’ll report back here.

View attachment 3620

As usual Tundras comes through with the real information. 👍

Anything can be swapped over, but as mentioned above it's going to be expensive!

My advice..... before you just plug it in to see if it works consult a wiring diagram to make sure the circuits are the same. Some modules in the Toyotas are sensitive, wrong input ....... fssssss and you'll let the smoke out of some expensive modules.

Last edited:
My advice..... before you just plug it in to see if it works consult a wiring diagram to make sure the circuits are the same.
How would I get the wiring diagram? And not sure how it would be expensive if as tundras says, should be no problem to swap them. Just need someone who wants to trade round for square.

How would I get the wiring diagram? And not sure how it would be expensive if as tundras says, should be no problem to swap them. Just need someone who wants to trade round for square.
I get my wiring diagrams by buying a temp subscription from TIS

https://techinfo.toyota.com/

The headlights might be a plug-n-play, IDK.

(directed to the OP) The expensive part would be purchasing wiring harnesses for the camera system, fog lights, rain sensor, head unit, the cameras and mounts etc......... If you could locate an upper trim vehicle at a salvage yard and could strip it out, then very doable. But Toyota parts counter would be big bucks. Swapping out a harness behind the dash is not an easy task and would be a time consuming process, doable if you have the skill set.

Thanks for the reply’s, in short I will have to keep the vehicle as is for now.

I am purchasing what’s available here in Costa Rica (a 2.8L diésel) and it comes with square headlights (different type that the ones in US) and 8” display. I would imagine in the future someone will roll out an aftermarket 13” display made for easy replacement. My disappointment is not even in the display itself, it’s the way it is fitted, looks very dated.

Today I saw a picture of a 8 inch drivers display with a 12.3 center entertainment display. Makes me wonder how a base model can be outfitted the 12.3 inch screen. And this can be replicated,

I have the same question regarding the Prados delivered as First Editions in Latin America with the 8” infotainment and numerous other deletes. Hopefully the unit can be swapped. I have another question on wheel fitment and keeping the stock 18’s and running 275/70/18’s with a 1 inch / 25mm spacer. I’m just trying to keep it simple and wanted to get some feedback.

Thanks for the reply’s, in short I will have to keep the vehicle as is for now.

I am purchasing what’s available here in Costa Rica (a 2.8L diésel) and it comes with square headlights (different type that the ones in US) and 8” display. I would imagine in the future someone will roll out an aftermarket 13” display made for easy replacement. My disappointment is not even in the display itself, it’s the way it is fitted, looks very dated.

Hola, estoy en Costa Rica también ...
Este modelo acaba de llegar a la agencia de Escazú Village ...
Es la version de lujo del Land Cruiser Diesel que se vende en Costa Rica .... vale como un poco más de USD 117,000 .... una locura total con los precios en CR, así que el mismo modelo llamado "Kakadu" en Australia, solo vale USD 66,000 !!!!

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2024-07-22 at 17.59.22 - copie.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-07-22 at 17.59.22 - copie.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 64
  • WhatsApp Image 2024-07-22 at 17.59.38 - copie 2.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-07-22 at 17.59.38 - copie 2.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 55
  • WhatsApp Image 2024-07-22 at 18.00.06 - copie 2.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-07-22 at 18.00.06 - copie 2.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 57
  • WhatsApp Image 2024-07-22 at 18.00.27 - copie.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-07-22 at 18.00.27 - copie.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 55
  • WhatsApp Image 2024-07-22 at 18.00.40 - copie.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-07-22 at 18.00.40 - copie.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 49
  • WhatsApp Image 2024-07-22 at 18.00.50 - copie.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-07-22 at 18.00.50 - copie.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 42
  • WhatsApp Image 2024-07-22 at 18.01.23 - copie.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-07-22 at 18.01.23 - copie.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 46
  • WhatsApp Image 2024-07-22 at 18.02.00 - copie.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-07-22 at 18.02.00 - copie.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 52
  • WhatsApp Image 2024-07-22 at 18.02.30 - copie.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-07-22 at 18.02.30 - copie.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 50
  • WhatsApp Image 2024-07-22 at 18.01.01 - copie.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-07-22 at 18.01.01 - copie.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 57
  • WhatsApp Image 2024-07-22 at 17.58.00 - copie.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-07-22 at 17.58.00 - copie.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 65
Center screen may require dealer activation after swapping. I would make sure the dealer agrees to do this beforehand.

The power/volume knob would have to be replaced to upgrade to the 12" screen as well as the trim that surrounds the guage cluster. Given the different placement of the knob, I bet the wiring harness is different.

Heard that test were being done to replace basic lc250 8in with original Toyota 12.3 infotainment display by the dealer. Still no confirmation of anyone having done so up to now.

Heard that test were being done to replace basic lc250 8in with original Toyota 12.3 infotainment display by the dealer. Still no confirmation of anyone having done so up to now.
It makes one wonder why a 12.3" screen wasn't part of all Land Cruisers (and Prados) to begin with, instead of an 8" in just one trim level (i.e., 1958).

It seems like such uniformity would've been much simpler and a lot less expensive for Toyota.

Back