Hybrid changed at 1000 miles?

deftkillerstu

📛 Founding Member
Jun 25, 2024
Charlotte, NC
Vehicles
2024 Land Cruiser First Edition in Heritage Blue
Guys, I’ve been using the battery tachometer since getting my LC and I noticed an immediate change when I went over the 1000 mile mark today. I started seeing the LC using battery more often as well as charging better and closer to max. The change caused my mpg to tick upward.
Is it possible that the engineers programmed the engine to use less battery in the first 1000 miles to promote breaking in the mechanical engine? Am I crazy? Anyone else notice this?

That would be great news if true, I’m still under 500mi and my electric motor is pretty timid to say the least! And I have a very soft prius-hypermiling foot.

I am at 2,500 miles and mileage better than first 500 but that might be how I am driving. Drives differently from FJ Cruiser which is no surprise.

These are capable of OTA updates, it's also possible some update was pushed??

Guys, I’ve been using the battery tachometer since getting my LC and I noticed an immediate change when I went over the 1000 mile mark today. I started seeing the LC using battery more often as well as charging better and closer to max. The change caused my mpg to tick upward.
Is it possible that the engineers programmed the engine to use less battery in the first 1000 miles to promote breaking in the mechanical engine? Am I crazy? Anyone else notice this?
Not crazy! Noticed this too, but more in the area of torque. Distinct feeling after your first startup > 1000 miles.

It is possible. It would make sense for them to prioritize engine early on so that the break in period is shorter.

Maybe... But that would have to be some pretty sophisticated coding for just a break in?
My wife say's I'm always negative.... But why would Toyota spend money so you could break in your car correctly...when they can just collect your money on a new car when yours breaks! The longer you keep your car... The less money... They make!

Well... now you know what my wife has to live with...!

Maybe... But that would have to be some pretty sophisticated coding for just a break in?
My wife say's I'm always negative.... But why would Toyota spend money so you could break in your car correctly...when they can just collect your money on a new car when yours breaks! The longer you keep your car... The less money... They make!

Well... now you know what my wife has to live with...!

Why would it be sophisticated coding? It is pretty simple to implement something like this.

Why would it be sophisticated coding? It is pretty simple to implement something like this.
This is from a quick trip 25-30mph to the store (back roads, just a few stop signs) for my 24 Tundra hybrid. I did not get this type of MPG at first. Had the AC blasting and seat cooling on. If a V6 Hybrid in a heavier truck can get this MPG then the LC should eventually.

Attachments

• IMG_0994.jpeg
    IMG_0994.jpeg
    247.6 KB · Views: 213
I'm sorry... I was thinking sophisticated as in managements decision to write the code in the first place.... as in to help you...

When I read your post... I thought... how did she (my wife) get on here! LOL

Finally after 2 months of waiting I picked up my LC today... Here is my milage driving it home from about a 1 hour and 20 mins away... Way better than expected! What's confusing is the drive time was way more than what was reported???
I was driving from up north so had about 50% of down hill driving

FYI... The gas tank on this vehicle really suxs... The amount till empty screen... drops like a rock with each mile driven!!!

Attachments

• Mileage.jpg
    Mileage.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 187
Last edited:
I think I know what happened... I stopped at a rest area to take some pictures and the time must have reset...

Exactly right.

Back about 18 years ago I worked for a BMW dealer and the M cars all had restricted RPM until the first 1000 or 1200 miles. The old E39 M5 even had an RPM limiter based on oil temperature, no spinning it all the way up till it was warmed up.

Finally after 2 months of waiting I picked up my LC today... Here is my milage driving it home from about a 1 hour and 20 mins away... Way better than expected! What's confusing is the drive time was way more than what was reported???
I was driving from up north so had about 50% of down hill driving

FYI... The gas tank on this vehicle really suxs... The amount till empty screen... drops like a rock with each mile driven!!!
Thanks for the report.

I’m hopeful that the aftermarket addresses the fuel tank, or there’s an easy way to at least stick a GX550 fuel tank in place of the 17.9 gallon stock unit.

My 2014 Chevy Volt runs the engine if it's been too long since it's run (driving around only on the battery too long). It also keeps track of the oil changes based on engine run time and I think overall time. Not hard to program any of the above mentioned items.

This sounds like a solid theory. I just hit 950 miles so I will see if my mpg changes at 1000. I have been watching the hybrid max gauge and noticed the same thing, that it barely kicks in and just hovers mostly around 60% charge

I just passed over 600 miles, but most of that has been highway driving on a short road-trip (not the city driving I usually do), so good for smoothly breaking in the engine. I also noticed an improvement in hybrid motor performance over the weekend, with it kicking over to electric power easier when doing 35 and below. Very happy development!

I imagine it's some kind of phased availability of total power, using mileage as the primary metric make whatever % available. I have no dyno data to prove it, but my LC is a lot more fun to drive after the initial break in. Whether that was software limiting or just breaking in, super happy that the drive train torque delivery is super flat, smooth and responsive.

Very interesting. I have been concerned about low average MPG of about 14.5mpg driving locally in my 2024 Land Cruiser. Have driven under 250 miles so far. Do you guys think this will change at 1,000 miles, or might mine have a problem?

Back