Hearing a rattle noise at low gear acceleration.

The original thread's topic was completely different than this, we're discussing rattling noises when driving - while that thread was started because upon cold start and revving his engine while in neutral - the engine shook/rattled. Toyota bought his back, scan that entire thread - there's a video he uploaded to youtube
@BKLC I’ve read every post in that other thread and the OP first noticed it while driving. He said “Well... as soon as I do and I hit the accelerator to leave the house I hear what sounds like an exhaust leak.... that's weird. I drive about 3 blocks and and then I decide to turn around and check it out from the driveway.” He’s then able to replicate the sound he had heard while driving while revving the engine in neutral.

I’m also able to replicate this exact sound while reviving my engine in neutral or driving slowly (while the engine is not fully warmed up).

The video he posted on YT of him replicating this sound while revving other LC’s engines in neutral at his dealership is the same sound I hear and that others in that thread and this thread describe hearing - whether revving in neutral or driving slowly. I can recreate that exact same sound from his video in neutral and moving. And most others in that other thread first notice it while driving slowly with their windows down. Similar to what @ryroam250 described when starting this thread. So not sure why you think these are completely different?

To me this rattling/fluttering sounded the same as what people were describing in this thread. I’m open to being wrong but these two descriptions of the sound and the scenarios in which they occur sound similar so I figured I’d point out the similarities in case people wanted to read the other thread.

This is what mine sounds like, its pretty loud. The video doesn't do it justice -

My iPhone doesn't capture it too well, its pretty loud...

@BKLC I’ve read every post in that other thread and the OP first noticed it while driving. He said “Well... as soon as I do and I hit the accelerator to leave the house I hear what sounds like an exhaust leak.... that's weird. I drive about 3 blocks and and then I decide to turn around and check it out from the driveway.” He’s then able to replicate the sound he had heard while driving while revving the engine in neutral.

I’m also able to replicate this exact sound while reviving my engine in neutral or driving slowly (while the engine is not fully warmed up).

The video he posted on YT of him replicating this sound while revving other LC’s engines in neutral at his dealership is the same sound I hear and that others in that thread and this thread describe hearing - whether revving in neutral or driving slowly. I can recreate that exact same sound from his video in neutral and moving. And most others in that other thread first notice it while driving slowly with their windows down. Similar to what @ryroam250 described when starting this thread. So not sure why you think these are completely different?

To me this rattling/fluttering sounded the same as what people were describing in this thread. I’m open to being wrong but these two descriptions of the sound and the scenarios in which they occur sound similar so I figured I’d point out the similarities in case people wanted to read the other thread.

This is the original engine knock that was posted in 'the hybrid that can't'.

It's completely different from my posts here, please don't confuse users.

Did you tighten your skid plate? Wondering if this is the cause of the rattle...
I checked the bolts on my skidplates that was not the cause of the rattle. The rattle is between 1500 and 2200 rpm (aprox.) It is very prominent for a few minutes at specific engine temps/conditions and only in this rpm range. It's easy to minimize the rattle with more aggressive acceleration - much more prominent at lighter acceleration. If I stop at the store and the engine cools the noise will be very noticeable for a few minutes and then get less loud as the engine gets hotter. To me it sounds like something rattling on or inside the exhaust system.

Is yours the two videos I posted above? the rattle?

Or the engine knock - posted by the user in 'the hybrid that can't'

Back