Hybrid changed at 1000 miles?

Where do I find the hybrid battery gauge? Thanks
It took me a while to find it too, it is hidden by default. (Not sure if this applies to 1958 trim)

While you are editing the dash screen, move over to edit the right (or left) dial, then move the same direction again towards the outside of the screen. This will bring up a selection screen, and all the way at the bottom is hybrid guage

I wouldn't rule out driving style. I come from smaller cars so I have a tendency to ask the same of the LC. With that usage I get 18.3 and pleasantly happy with that. Hybrids also seem to be the inverse of ICE cars when it comes to freeway miles. The more you drive freeway, the less the mpg

Very interesting. I have been concerned about low average MPG of about 14.5mpg driving locally in my 2024 Land Cruiser. Have driven under 250 miles so far. Do you guys think this will change at 1,000 miles, or might mine have a problem?
14.5?!?! something has to be wrong. I've been getting 23.8-24.4 since day one.

Very interesting. I have been concerned about low average MPG of about 14.5mpg driving locally in my 2024 Land Cruiser. Have driven under 250 miles so far. Do you guys think this will change at 1,000 miles, or might mine have a problem?

I've got almost 500mi of almost entirely short local drives (like 1-5mi drives, 5-15min - e.g. shuttling kids around) and I'm only getting 16-18mpg average.

What i've noticed is that when I do go on a longer drive, the battery will charge up more, and I'll begin to get more hybrid usage and my mileage will go up. However, with just short drives, the battery never really charges beyond 3 bars, and I'm getting little to no mileage benefit from the hybrid. The first 5 minutes of every drive has pretty horrible mileage, and if you do a lot of 5 minute drives, you are doomed.

I'm finally going on a road trip with lots of 2-lane highways soon, so I'm hoping to see some drastic improvement.

It took me a while to find it too, it is hidden by default. (Not sure if this applies to 1958 trim)

While you are editing the dash screen, move over to edit the right (or left) dial, then move the same direction again towards the outside of the screen. This will bring up a selection screen, and all the way at the bottom is hybrid guage
Thank you

I've got almost 500mi of almost entirely short local drives (like 1-5mi drives, 5-15min - e.g. shuttling kids around) and I'm only getting 16-18mpg average.

What i've noticed is that when I do go on a longer drive, the battery will charge up more, and I'll begin to get more hybrid usage and my mileage will go up. However, with just short drives, the battery never really charges beyond 3 bars, and I'm getting little to no mileage benefit from the hybrid. The first 5 minutes of every drive has pretty horrible mileage, and if you do a lot of 5 minute drives, you are doomed.

I'm finally going on a road trip with lots of 2-lane highways soon, so I'm hoping to see some drastic improvement.
Thank you. Yes, same experience

I agree. I thought Hybrid was all about being good MPG on short trips and lower MPH and would have less impact on long highway trips. That's basically how hybrids are supposed to work according to the Car Care Nut. Having said that, I still did see a difference at 1k miles, but I hit that number on vacation driving 45 minute day trips where I could see my battery charging. Now that I've been home and only doing short trips, the battery never goes higher than 4 bars. I wonder if this can be improved with a software update?

I agree. I thought Hybrid was all about being good MPG on short trips and lower MPH and would have less impact on long highway trips. That's basically how hybrids are supposed to work according to the Car Care Nut.
You would be correct if you were talking about the Prius/Camry/Highlander/etc. The hybrid system in the LC250 is not for efficiency purposes, but for torque/power. I like to think of it that instead of putting 2 turbos into the engine, like they did with the GX550/LC300/LX600, they put a turbo + electric motor. The former for high range, and the latter for low range engine operation.

I think there is a major misconception in this thread. Hybrid battery does not need to charge to full to be effective. It is constantly being charged and discharged.

A battery has most efficient power delivery/acceptance between 30-70% of charge. A battery with high charge level gets more difficult to charge further , and energy is lost as heat (same way how your phone can charge from 0-80% in 30 mins, but from 80-100% can take another hour). The same way, when charge is low, power delivery from the battery drop as discharging gets more difficult.

So in short, hybrid system is most effective when battery charge level in the middle and charging/discharging is most efficient. And the hybrid system will work to keep it there unless charging battery further is the only option to recover energy (like going down a long steep hill, or mountain pass).

Last edited:
Agreed on the hybrid not there to turn the LC into a Prius. When you accept that, youโ€™ll start to appreciate the instant and flat low end torque, available at basically any rpm youโ€™re in. Iโ€™m in Tahoe right now, came up on the 50. And I gotta tell you playing leapfrog on the passing sections is a joy. You donโ€™t even have to get the motor angry!

Just to add, completely agree that the hybrid design is about adding power and enhancing the low end of the torque curve. The efficiency benefit of the design is that it allows a 4 cyl turbo to produce acceptable power with the hybrid while still giving 4 cyl levels of efficiency when that added power isn't called for.

I think that it is a simple/clever solution.

Mine just hit 1,000 yesterday, filled it with 93 octane non ethanol fuel. So far around 20 mpg running in normal with air at 64 on high (love Alabama heat)

Agreed on the hybrid not there to turn the LC into a Prius. When you accept that, youโ€™ll start to appreciate the instant and flat low end torque, available at basically any rpm youโ€™re in. Iโ€™m in Tahoe right now, came up on the 50. And I gotta tell you playing leapfrog on the passing sections is a joy. You donโ€™t even have to get the motor angry!
I am sure Toyota could have made an LC with 30-35 MPG if they tuned the engine and hybrid system solely for efficiency. But then people would complain that it has no "kick" and feels sluggish. So I am happy with what we got.

The traction battery near 100% can no longer accept charge from braking. The battery is performing as intended.

A 5000 lb brick is not going to get great mileage, regardless of how the hybrid operates. But I am a bit disappointed that mileage isn't consistently in the low twenties.

I do wonder how the 4runner demographic is going to accept either an underpowered inexpensive model or the expensive hybrid.

The traction battery near 100% can no longer accept charge from braking. The battery is performing as intended.

A 5000 lb brick is not going to get great mileage, regardless of how the hybrid operates. But I am a bit disappointed that mileage isn't consistently in the low twenties.

I do wonder how the 4runner demographic is going to accept either an underpowered inexpensive model or the expensive hybrid.
Iโ€™m consistently getting in the low twenties.

We can look at the Prado sold in the world market (e.g. the Middle East), where they don't have the hybrid version - at least at this time.

Back