Gas tank - distance inaccuracy

Toyota keeps a fuel reserve with all their hybrids, if you were to run them completely empty it would damage the system and need to be replaced.

Pretty sure it has to do with keeping the in tank fuel pump cool............. there is no difference between it running out of gas and the engine shutting off..... either way the engine isn't running and unable to charge the battery, however a fuel pump running and no gas around it or through it to keep it cool, it wouldn't last very long.

Last edited:
Here is what I know . I put 17 gallon in my FE . The light was on low fuel , it was reading empty on gauge and remaining mileage was 16 miles .
I fill the same way every time . If it has a 18 gallon tank as advertised ,
I would say trust your remaining miles or have some good shoes for walking handy.
I will say my 2022 tundra hybrid when got to empty it still had 4-5 gallons . Not the LC

Last edited:
I don't get it how the 2 gallons are calculated?
I don't think it is a calculation......... IMO it's got to do with how far the fuel pump pickup screen is from the bottom of the fuel tank when it was installed by the manufacturer during assembly. as an example (IDK) it's specified to be 1/4" from the bottom of the tank and for what ever reason it was set 1/2" from the bottom, that extra 1/4" would be a lot of unusable fuel.

Back