Gas Tank and MPH

RTRinKY

📛 Founding Member
Jun 20, 2024
Media
KY
Vehicles
Toyota 4Runner
So I just filled up tank showing I had 18 miles to go. Only filled up 15.1 gallons so it appears we get about 350 miles to tank. I’m averaging about 19.3 MPG. FYI

It will take time for trip computer to show accurate estimates. It basically start out with worst case estimates from the factory and gradually become more accurate as it has more data on your driving habits.

It will take time for trip computer to show accurate estimates. It basically start out with worst case estimates from the factory and gradually become more accurate as it has more data on your driving habits.
Good to know. I have about 1050 miles on it. Got around 19.5 on interstate per gauge. Average speed around 78-80

Good to know. I have about 1050 miles on it. Got around 19.5 on interstate per gauge. Average speed around 78-80
I think years ago someone showed pretty accurate calculations for rav4 where the estimated range trip computer had was calculated based on the average from the last 10 tanks of fuel.

If it is still the same, they may had manually put in 10 very bad estimates so that owners get used to the worst case.

I don't understand. It would seem a simple calculation by the computer, i.e. miles driven/gallons used. I can visualize better economy after the engine becomes broken in, and one might improve on their driving habits.

I find the trip computer not that accurate. I've done about 600 miles and all but one fill-up has been around 23 MPG town/highway mix, the last fill netted 27 MPG all highway. All have been hand calculated.

I don't understand. It would seem a simple calculation by the computer, i.e. miles driven/gallons used. I can visualize better economy after the engine becomes broken in, and one might improve on their driving habits.
Estimate is for the future, not for the past. It needs to know your miles per gallon to estimate it, it takes time for it to calculate your average MPG.

I find the trip computer not that accurate. I've done about 600 miles and all but one fill-up has been around 23 MPG town/highway mix, the last fill netted 27 MPG all highway. All have been hand calculated.
It certainly could be a combination of errors by the trip computer, i.e. accurately measuring the fuel used, and the accuracy of the odometer.

Estimate is for the future, not for the past. It needs to know your miles per gallon to estimate it, it takes time for it to calculate your average MPG.
My error possibly, but was not aware it was an estimate, but thought it was an actual calculation based on the two parameters mentioned.

Wow this is great. My first manual calculation was around 18.6 but I just eclipsed 1000 miles so hopefully better. Think I am driving somewhat conservatively.

Wow this is great. My first manual calculation was around 18.6 but I just eclipsed 1000 miles so hopefully better. Think I am driving somewhat conservatively.
I thought so as well from reading past comments on MPG. I've been using 93 octane, driving in eco mode while being as light on the right pedal as possible. Happy so far.

Back