Dashcam placement from the factory

I finally got my Brown Sugar Metallic (Meteor Shower) LC FE two days ago and it came with the dash cam, installed at the port. It is intrusive. Should have probably been placed on the passenger’s side. Though, it would be hard for the driver to push the dash cam buttons if it was on the other side. I am getting used to mine at this point. But, I want to see the video of how to move it to the passenger side.

The 1958 that I bought straight off the lot was exactly what I was looking for equipment and feature-wise . . . . . except the already-installed dash cam (which I can't tell if it was factory or dealer installed).

Okay then, you don't like Toyota's dashcam. It's installed at the port before delivery to the dealer. Should be relatively easy to remove.

My wife has no problem because she looks under it. Given the expansive LC windshield view I don't either and I'm 6-1. Best of all the location allows me to use the Action feature with which I record short, spontaneous videos for easy retrieval. So, for some owners it's fine.

I was worried about the placement as the one we ordered had this added accessory. Turns out it’s not really an issue for us. The issue is I have no idea how to use it. We asked the salesperson when we took delivery and she said “I don’t know,” then she left to go sell a car to someone else.

Can you post the video where they move it to the passenger side, please? Thanks!1
X2 on that for me. If I can't get this obnoxious thing out of my line of view and moved over to the other side of the rear view mirror, I will peel it off the window, snip the wires and place it in my garbage dumpster.

And the more I think about it, the unit that came already hanging on my 1958's windshield was probably a dealer-installed option where they could squeeze another $375 out of the buyer. It doesn't make sense for such a "feature" to be factory-installed on a base model LC.

(The one I ended up with was likely a factory-install originally on a mid-trim or First Edition LC where the buyer said "get this annoying P.O.S. off of here.")

I was worried about the placement as the one we ordered had this added accessory. Turns out it’s not really an issue for us. The issue is I have no idea how to use it. We asked the salesperson when we took delivery and she said “I don’t know,” then she left to go sell a car to someone else.
Hah, it will be a rare salesman that knows more than you. Few have even seen a Land Cruiser. The dashcam is simple compared to the many system settings. There is a separate app for it.

Attachments

• Toyota_Integrated_Dashcam.pdf
    3.3 MB · Views: 76
  • Quick_Start_Guide_Toyota_Integrated_Dashcam.pdf
    746.3 KB · Views: 74
This from the Toyota website when you build a First Edition LC. Any thoughts as to why it looks different than the photo in Tumelocruiser’s post above? After more review, I can tell this photo is not on a LC. But, it is the picture and specs Toyota shows when you add it to a FE. There is a sunglasses holder in this photo (don’t get me started).
This dash cam was designed for vehicles with much more sloped windshields where the long design isn't a problem. Someone wasn't thinking when they made it an option for the Land Cruiser's upright windshield.

As I've posted in other threads, in Japan the Land Cruiser uses the built in front and rear cameras as a dash cam. I don't understand why they aren't doing that on the US model?

This dash cam was designed for vehicles with much more sloped windshields where the long design isn't a problem. Someone wasn't thinking when they made it an option for the Land Cruiser's upright windshield.

As I've posted in other threads, in Japan the Land Cruiser uses the built in front and rear cameras as a dash cam. I don't understand why they aren't doing that on the US model?
There is no front camera on the 1958 model. Maybe there should be.

Thank you for this. My LC is due to arrive this week, and I think I will be moving the dash cam to the passenger side if I don't get used to its placement. When I test drove, I immediately noticed the poor placement blocking my view.
Operating the dash cam controls will be difficult for the driver if it is on the passenger side.

Has anyone else tried removing the dashcam using the above photos? Seems pretty easy, but, I don’t want to do anything to mess up my LC FE. Any input would be helpful if you have tried moving or removing your dashcam. Thanks!!!

When I test drove the LC I thought for sure this was a security device while it was at dealership and would be removed when it was sold so I asked "and this gets removed when you sell?" 😂. Could not believe to find out it was a camera and would stay. Hard pass on that $600 option.

I'm 6' tall and I have no issue with it obstructing my view, I always keep my seat pushed all the way down, so that may make a difference.

Noticed the odd placement for about 3min, then promptly forgot about it. For the ones who do use the camera, placement is so you have quick access to the function buttons. I personally like where it's at after experiencing it. If I didn't actually sit in the thing, placement would have been a no-go.

Back