How is the backup cam and or digital rearview mirror at night?

I think it works great at night. It did take some getting used to. At first, it made me dizzy. But, now, my eyes and brain have adapted to it. And, it is easy to turn off.

I think this was the article I’d read on them that tried to explain the whole focal point & distance thing & I’m not sure I understood it, having not seen one of these mirrors before. But at 49 I just bought my first pair of prescription sunglasses this year, progressives no less, to supplement my now daily wear glasses. So I suspect if I tried the mirror I’d feel the same about it as many of y’all do. Perhaps I’m not missing anything if I choose a vehicle that doesn’t have this now.

I also wear progressive glasses as well as sunglasses. It took me about 3 days to get used to the digital mirror. I like it, and when the back end of the truck is packed with stuff, I will be extra grateful for it. And, I can always turn it off.

I actually had to drive 4hrs with it straight from the dealership after taking delivery. I picked the LC up in Johnson City TN and drive back to Atlanta Ga while on a business trip and had a full to the roof cargo area. I also wear progressives and didn’t have a hard time getting used to it. I prefer the normal mirror but will use the digital when I need it.

Most of the discussion here seems to be around the digital rearview mirror, so I thought I'd chime in on the backup camera at night. The video quality is slightly worse at night than during the day, but not by much, and the camera is only serviceable to begin with. I was a bit disappointed overall, as our 2021 Volvo has really great cameras!

I can't comment on the digital rearview mirror as I've only had the car for 2 days and haven't tried it out much yet.

Edit: I'm coming from a 2009 Toyota Camry which has zero cameras, so I don't really have any other reference besides the Volvo. 😜

Last edited:
I like the rearview video mirror better on this model than the Highlander. However, I have noticed, more than once, that even though the truck had been entirely cleaned, including the lens for the mirror's camera - ordinary driving seems to kick up dirt that makes the mirror camera hazy and useless at night - once it gets bad enough. Have put some eyeglass wipes in the truck to use if needed, instead of the glass rearview mirror.

Back