WTF The Dashcam

Hey now, the guy who sold me mine said he had never seen anything like those $20 pouches at their dealership!
Hard to see even if you are looking for them, mine was stuck to the manual lol

Attachments

• image0 (1).jpeg
    image0 (1).jpeg
    565.1 KB · Views: 131
Maybe it's because I keep my seat as far down as possible (I'm 6' 0"), but it doesn't impede my view at all unless I'm trying to see a passing plane...

The issue is how much it intrudes on the driver’s field of view. Probably because it was designed for other models that have a more angled windshield, so it doesn’t stick straight down like on the LC.
On Toyota's Land Cruiser build page, the picture for the dash cam shows what kind of windshield it was designed for: much closer to horizontal than the Land Cruiser's nearly vertical windshield!

Screenshot 2024-08-22 at 9.40.47 AM.png
vs. reality:
20240727_153918.jpg

(Photo from LandCruiserSteve in the other thread)

Get the fitcamX if you want a dash cam. Just know you will be trimming a little bit of the plastic to fit perfectly. It took awhile for me to realize why my OE piece wouldn't slide into theirs.

Reactions: Don
I relocate my dashcam from the driver side to passenger side.. way better and still recorded the front view well.
My dealership damaged my overhead console and mirror covers during the original dashcam install.
The install was rough and horribly done, I had them replaced the dashcam and all the parts with new.
Then I did the install on my own.
1724357970342.png

1724358005031.png

I relocate my dashcam from the driver side to passenger side.. way better and still recorded the front view well.
My dealership damaged my overhead console and mirror covers during the original dashcam install.
The install was rough and horribly done, I had them replaced the dashcam and all the parts with new.
View attachment 9144
View attachment 9145
This looks better.

View attachment 9144
View attachment 9145
View attachment 9144
View attachment 9145
This looks so much better, I have the same issue and need to move it over. Did you have to get a longer wire or were you able to just swing it over to the passenger side? Just curious if I need any new parts to do this?

This looks so much better, I have the same issue and need to move it over. Did you have to get a longer wire or were you able to just swing it over to the passenger side? Just curious if I need any new parts to do this?
There is lots of extra wire on the harness to make the move to the passenger side.
Be careful when removing the Overhead Console, you must pull down from the FRONT first (4 plugs) to avoid breaking the 2 tabs on the back side. I will send a picture later.

20240827_061614.jpg

20240827_061555.jpg

New parts needed - yes, adhesive to remount the camera back plate.

A view from the passenger side.
1724694234696.png

Last edited:
There is lots of extra wire on the harness to make the move to the passenger side.
Be careful when removing the Overhead Console, you must pull down from the FRONT first (4 plugs) to avoid breaking the 2 tab on the back side. I will send a picture later.

View attachment 9575
Great to know, appreciate the insight, looks like a much better view as a driver!

Someone posted that in Japan, Toyota uses the front facing and rear facing cameras as dash cams, for moving and being parked, and stores the info somehow in the LC’s.
Are you sure? By the look of it these cameras are likely smart sensors from their suppliers, which output object data rather than raw pixels/streams. In order to implement a multi-purpose from facing camera you typically need to spawn that single input stream into two and use one for detection, another one for recording. I would be surprised these camera can support dual stream video processing.

Are you sure? By the look of it these cameras are likely smart sensors from their suppliers, which output object data rather than raw pixels/streams. In order to implement a multi-purpose from facing camera you typically need to spawn that single input stream into two and use one for detection, another one for recording. I would be surprised these camera can support dual stream video processing.
Am I sure?

1. Am I sure that I did not misquote something posted on this forum?

Yes

2. Am I sure that someone was mistaken in what they wrote?

No.

Get the fitcamX if you want a dash cam. Just know you will be trimming a little bit of the plastic to fit perfectly. It took awhile for me to realize why my OE piece wouldn't slide into theirs.
What did you trim to make the FITCAMX fit right?

Lexus version is all black which looks much better than the Toyota red button version. Looks identical. I wondering if the wiring harness is the same.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240912_065953_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20240912_065953_eBay.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 30
Be careful when removing the Overhead Console, you must pull down from the FRONT first (4 plugs) to avoid breaking the 2 tabs on the back side. I will send a picture later.

View attachment 9657
View attachment 9658

View attachment 9575
Dealer wanted $367 to order the "part" (adhesive) and remount it for me. I'm getting 3M, popping these tabs and moving it over myself! ha Thanks for the step-by-step!

Is anybody else as offended as I am that the forward 40% of the overhead console is completely non-functional and we still didn't get sunglasses holders? I assumed the grated area was a speaker/mic for the SOS thing but it's not even that.

Back