Broken rear seat arm

smantique

📛 Founding Member
Jun 12, 2024
Santa Fe
Vehicles
land cruiser 1958
Seat arm broke off when I was shifting seat up. Brought it into dealership and was told it wasn’t warranty covered.
Dealership after some complaining covered the replacement.
I pointed out the silliness of a brand new design not covering an important piece.
Strange . I’m calling Toyota

Seat arm broke off when I was shifting seat up. Brought it into dealership and was told it wasn’t warranty covered.
Dealership after some complaining covered the replacement.
I pointed out the silliness of a brand new design not covering an important piece.
Strange . I’m calling Toyota
Not the first time seeing this happen. I feel like this should be covered since it might be a design flaw. I'm very careful with mine now.

This is a known design flaw. The plastic is cracking when they are installed and normal use just weakens them until they snap. Hopefully Toyota improves the design and releases a fix or we can get replacement parts from Toyota from future models. If you look in prior threads posted on this same issue, people have taken them off and tried to strengthen the weak points.

This is happening on the GX550 as well

Why should something you broke be warranty covered?
How do I break a lever situated between the seat and column? My concern is what else was poorly designed on this newly designed interesting car.
Yesterday after speaking with Toyota consumer help ( who suggested I purchase a bumper to bumper warranty) I went to Lexus and bought one.
Good news I only lost 3k on my LC trade in.

How do I break a lever situated between the seat and column? My concern is what else was poorly designed on this newly designed interesting car.
Yesterday after speaking with Toyota consumer help ( who suggested I purchase a bumper to bumper warranty) I went to Lexus and bought one.
Good news I only lost 3k on my LC trade in.
The GX550 has the same flaw

No one is posting a picture, this sounds like a scam to me.
No pic = No broken arm.
I still did not understand what exactly was broken. Was it the lever that is pulled to fold the seats, was it the central arm rest, was it the arm rest on the door?

Micah's wife had the same issue 🙈 after seeing this I was super gentle with the mechanism. I hope Toyota addresses the problem soon and ideally issues some sort of recall to address this issue for all the LCs that are already on the road.

1728922013708.png

1728922066789.png

Micah's wife had the same issue 🙈 after seeing this I was super gentle with the mechanism. I hope Toyota addresses the problem soon and ideally issues some sort of recall to address this issue for all the LCs that are already on the road.

View attachment 14600

View attachment 14601

That looks designed to fail, the amount of leverage it gives you vs. a little plastic. Even if it was made out of aluminum I'd expect it to fail eventually. Probably ok if you made it out of steel.

Back