Broken FE flap

brianz

📛 Founding Member
May 5, 2024
Media
BC
Vehicles
2024 FE. 1991 turbo diesel vx.
I broke it - the nut pulled through the mud flap. Bent the plastic wheel well a bit. Managed to get it pushed back. I drove over a campfire pit. I should have pushed the “view” button as I was driving forward and would have seen it. I wasn’t using terrain monitor either. 🤦‍♂️

I thought originally they should have used a bigger washer, but that would have really wrecked it probably. Anyway, I undid the nut and re-assembled. Pretty good design, but I can hardly see the reason for the connecting straps.

Attachments

• IMG_5872.jpeg
    IMG_5872.jpeg
    186.4 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_5871.jpeg
    IMG_5871.jpeg
    294.9 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_5873.jpeg
    IMG_5873.jpeg
    352.7 KB · Views: 60
I broke it - the nut pulled through the mud flap. Bent the plastic wheel well a bit. Managed to get it pushed back. I drove over a campfire pit. I should have pushed the “view” button as I was driving forward and would have seen it. I wasn’t using terrain monitor either. 🤦‍♂️

I thought originally they should have used a bigger washer, but that would have really wrecked it probably. Anyway, I undid the nut and re-assembled. Pretty good design, but I can hardly see the reason for the connecting straps.
The strap is a limit strap so it can't wrap up into the tire and it becomes stuck, it would be ground to shreds in a matter of miles. Personally I'd prefer a hard fiber glass vs the flap.

I knew that was the reason, but since it disconnects so easy I can hardly see the reason. I don’t think it takes much pull to disconnect the strap. A bigger washer might help, but could do more damage coming through or by not coming through…

Back