Tire Upgrade ?

I've been lurking for some time on this thread, obsessing about tires. For now, I want to keep MPG up and maintain the stock wheels, suspension, and ride, but with a more aggressive tire. I also wanted the largest tire that would fit without any mods, and that would fit in the current spare tire location. Yesterday, I had Discount Tire mount General Grabber AT/X 275/70R18 116S and am very pleased with the results. I notice very little difference in the ride, perhaps a bit more firm (which I think is good), and about the same road noise as stock (I have active noise cancellation and fake engine noise turned off). These tires are only 7 lbs heavier than the OEM tires. I also gained about 3/4" of clearance.

Attachments

• IMG_7230.jpeg
    IMG_7230.jpeg
    719.9 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_7232.jpeg
    IMG_7232.jpeg
    728.2 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_7231.jpeg
    IMG_7231.jpeg
    716 KB · Views: 74
I've been lurking for some time on this thread, obsessing about tires. For now, I want to keep MPG up and maintain the stock wheels, suspension, and ride, but with a more aggressive tire. I also wanted the largest tire that would fit without any mods, and that would fit in the current spare tire location. Yesterday, I had Discount Tire mount General Grabber AT/X 275/70R18 116S and am very pleased with the results. I notice very little difference in the ride, perhaps a bit more firm (which I think is good), and about the same road noise as stock (I have active noise cancellation and fake engine noise turned off). These tires are only 7 lbs heavier than the OEM tires. I also gained about 3/4" of clearance.
I had run those on my 4Runner. I liked them and thought they were decent in the snow.

im glad you posted this because im looking at those same tires when my lift and wheels come in. I like the non E rated versions of those as the tire weight is only 47 lbs per tire. Thank you

I'm also obsessing about tires and wanted a non-E rated tire for all the good reasons. I did have the General Grabber AT/x's on my Tacoma and wasn't happy with them in the snow. Did you consider the Nokian Outpost nAT's and the Nitto Terra Grappler G3's? Just wondering what swayed your choice? I bought the Cooper Discoverer Road and Trail's in 265/70/18 and although they are a very nice tire, they just look too small on my LC (I'll be selling them shortly with 1500kms on them).

I'm also obsessing about tires and wanted a non-E rated tire for all the good reasons. I did have the General Grabber AT/x's on my Tacoma and wasn't happy with them in the snow. Did you consider the Nokian Outpost nAT's and the Nitto Terra Grappler G3's? Just wondering what swayed your choice? I bought the Cooper Discoverer Road and Trail's in 265/70/18 and although they are a very nice tire, they just look too small on my LC (I'll be selling them shortly with 1500kms on them).
I went with KMC IMS 17”x8.5” wheels (KM552MB17856825) and +25mm offset with TOYO Open Country AT/III (285 x 75 R17, 117Q C1 rating). I like the look and ride with these. Additionally this is the largest combination that fits into the spare tire wheel well. 40 psi for wheels on the ground but spare was lowered to 34 psi to fit in wheel well. These are just slightly below 34” diameter.

Attachments

• IMG_8481.png
    IMG_8481.png
    7.7 MB · Views: 13

I live in Texas, so snow handling wasn't a huge concern (although several YouTubers thought the Generals were fine in the snow). I don't know anything about the Nikians, so I didn't consider them. I would have strongly considered the Terra Grapplers, but there's no word on when they will be available in the SL load, not on their website, and based on what Discount Tire told me. Most of my driving is to/from work, highway, and occasional offroad when doing some gravel bike riding, so the Generals seem ok. I'm looking forward to more non-E options in the future though.

Back