2024 Toyota Land Cruiser vs 2024 Lexus GX550

Great review Jayhawk78. Really appreciate your opinion. Have abandoned the pursuit of a GX, as the dealer is DISTANT. So, going for a LC trim with the Premium package. Also, I envision the LC holding its value better than the GX. Opinion?
I would guess the LC holds its value better than the GX, seems like after 3 years or so the luxury brand premium fades away and you end up at the same point. I would think the two are about the same value in 3 years.

Historically the LC held value much better than the LX to the point used LX trades below LC w same year and miles. I don't think that will be true this time, V6 and 3rd row seats are real positives for the GX.

Just now seeing this thread. I made this chart for mud to compare the vehicles. Maybe some will find it useful.

1000005660.jpg

He’s got some good info, but he’s very GX/Lexus biased too. He doesn’t actually say why he thinks the e-Kdss is better or why it actually is. It does the same thing as the sdm in the front. There is no benefit off road at all, nor on road from what I can tell. Perhaps the e-kdss is more robust in terms of how big of a sway bar it can handle but other than that. Just because it’s a more complex system, doesn’t make it better. Realistically it’s just something more expensive to break or have to fix sometime during the lifetime of the car.

And reading on the rearend side of things, I’m not convinced the rearend being disconnected is necessary or even an improvement. If you have a large rear sway bar maybe, but if not then, not likely. Brb I’ll find the nifty video I watched on a disconnected rear bar.
Yah I’ve seen this guys vids but honestly he has a lot of misinformed opinions regarding airing down tire pressure to off roading facts. I don’t mind that he’s Lexus fanboy but some of the stuff he says makes no sense at all. I’d take his opions with a grain of salt.

From a armchair/shade tree mechanic's view, the V6 may be a smooth engine, but I fear it may be lacking in serviceability, especially the twin turbos.
Yah I’ve seen this guys vids but honestly he has a lot of misinformed opinions regarding airing down tire pressure to off roading facts. I don’t mind that he’s Lexus fanboy but some of the stuff he says makes no sense at all. I’d take his opinions with a grain of salt.
Agreed, he is making money as a social media influencer, if that is what they are called, but some of his opinions are "out there", WAY out there...

I would guess the LC holds its value better than the GX, seems like after 3 years or so the luxury brand premium fades away and you end up at the same point. I would think the two are about the same value in 3 years.

Historically the LC held value much better than the LX to the point used LX trades below LC w same year and miles. I don't think that will be true this time, V6 and 3rd row seats are real positives for the GX.
I saw a dimension sheet comparing LC and GX the GX was 4 inches overall length longer ?

I've bounced back and forth on the GX vs LC question but keep coming back to the LC. It's not a slam dunk...more like a 60-40 in favor of LC. Why?
  • The nearest Lexus dealership is 200 miles away - if one was nearby it'd be 50-50 despite the below-listed reasons
  • The Lexus Overtrail is beyond my price "tipping point"...I can't spend $70k+ on a "toy" for me
  • I prefer the V6 over the 4-cylinder but MPG is miserable
  • I do a lot of off-roading and often leave my vehicle unattended for several hours is I'd be more nervous about damage/theft with the Lexus sitting out in the boondocks hours away from civilization
  • My desert playground are dusty and dirty. I don't think I'd be comfortable getting the Lexus that filthy
  • I prefer LC's "rough and ready" heritage over Lexus' premium/luxury image
  • The Lexus has too many bells and whistles for me...give me a straight up LC with no additional features, leaving me more mod options later (if I can still hike and bike into my 80's)
  • Lexus "GX" just doesn''t speak to me like "Land Cruiser"

Last edited:
Great review Jayhawk78. Really appreciate your opinion. Have abandoned the pursuit of a GX, as the dealer is DISTANT. So, going for a LC trim with the Premium package. Also, I envision the LC holding its value better than the GX. Opinion?

I would expect them to hold their value about equally. The GX is more keenly priced than people expected.

I would expect them to hold their value about equally. The GX is more keenly priced than people expected.
Agreed, the GX came in lower than I expected... However, a point of interest, the Overtrail has some items omitted, such as the overhead HVAC vents and rear seat control of same. This surprised me, given all trim levels of the LC has these.

Agreed, the GX came in lower than I expected... However, a point of interest, the Overtrail has some items omitted, such as the overhead HVAC vents and rear seat control of same. This surprised me, given all trim levels of the LC has these.
Yeah I was about to go over trail+ for some of the niceties - massage seats, mark levinson, etc. but noticed it didn’t have rear seat ac controls or ceiling vents. Having kids that’ll be in the back the 3 zone climate controls was more important than front massage seats. Plus I like the Land Cruiser badge and hybrid option better

I think it's because the LC has 2 trims (not counting FE since it's limited) and the GX has 5. They had to have something to differentiate them.

Nice! I'm interested in hearing your thoughts between the two.
I drove it. He is getting 17mpg and I’m averaging 19.2. The seats in the GX are more comfortable but they are also leather and mine are the SoftTex. The dash layout in the LC is better with the physical buttons and he agrees with me. He likes the extra off-road features of the LC. I think the Overtrail has the sway bar disconnect and the camera to use up front but his does not.

I feel as if the GX was not as smooth riding as the LC but he has the 20in rims which might make a difference. I don’t think the motor has any more power than the LC. I’ve gotten on both of them and it seemed pretty equal.

Great thread!

I've watched my fair share of videos and a few pod casts asking this GX550 vs J250 question. First of all just one general comment about media in general seems to be that controversy sells clicks. If there isn't a controversy make one up.
That being said here or some items that drive me bonkers listening to these reviews

1. "The Lexus is cheaper" This is such BS. Just because you drove a first edition LC and a base GX doesn't make the Lexus cheaper. Yes their are Porsche Cayman's that cost more than an a 911. But saying a Cayman is more expensive than a 911 doesn't make you sound like a smart journalist, it makes you sound like a moron.

2. "The gas mileage is only marginally better in the J250 so you might as well get the GX550". Hogwash, even by the dubious EPA standards its 17 vs 23 combined. That's 35% better. I have two friends with GX550's and they are reporting substantially worse. One is seeing averaging 14.5mpg! I have under 200 miles on mine and already went to 275 tires. This morning I was seeing 22mpg in stop and go traffic.

3. "The GX550 motor is better in every way, much more HP, smoother, sounds better". One needs to remember the J250 is a global platform where 90% of them sold are straight 4 turbo diesel. I so wish we could have gotten that diesel option, but instead Toyota is making a great effort in mimicking the strengths of the diesel that with the hybrid 4 cylinder. Global users not restricted by the EPA want a diesel for super low end torque and efficiency and don't give a darn about the exhaust note, smoothness, high HP, etc. 90% of those users would want nothing to do with a twin turbo V-6 on a land cruiser. The torque comes in much higher and the efficiency is just not there and as the Tundra twin turbo V6 has taught us.....

3. The lack of a 3rd row is a deal killer. One needs to remember the J250 is a global platform and the GX550 is not. If you want a 3rd row get a GX. One of the biggest complaints about the J200 was the 3rd row and all the cargo space it took up. Toyota listened and got rid of it for us and kept it elsewhere where the GX550 is not sold. The comments about taking the whole family on a 4WD trip are very telling. No one who goes into the back country does so with 7 people in a 3 row SUV. You need room for gear.

4. "The GX has much better interior materials" Better looking, better feeling yes, but better for a land cruiser I dunno? My wife's GX460 had a beautiful white leather interior with soft touch materials, wood accents and every other Lexus Hallmark. What does all that look like after 5 years of dogs, kids and camping trips. It aint' so pretty anymore.

5. The Lexus is so much better on road. I would have to say there is some real truth to this having driven both. The Lexus feels very planted cornering and steady at higway speeds. The LC feels very floaty and compliant with I'll admit has some eyebrow raising body roll. The struts do firm up before the body roll gets out of control. However again, the J250 is a global platform and the GX550 is not. This is simply the result of an off road tuned suspension. I guarantee the GX550 will beat you to death on a rough road just like any Range Rover will. However, I was remembering back to driving a 70 series Troopy through costa rica nature preserve on some highway and then onto serious 4WD only roads. Sure on the highway at 65 mph it needed my full attention and hands at 2 and 10 to keep it between the lines, but once we took it off road it just floated along through practically idling over logs and washouts. I think my wife took a nap at one point. Later I drove the same roads in some sort of unibody Isuzu something or other and the highway driving was a breeze, but the off road portion was a nightmare. We were bouncing off the ceiling. Different use case demands different suspension tuning.

Anyhow, hope this might help anyone wavering between the two of them. Both are great vehicles, but fundamentally built for different users and use cases. Neither is better or worse, just different.

I was offered an OverTrail+ two weeks ago. After thinking about it for a night I decide to decline the offer. Here is my reasoning:

1. Cruising Range
GX has a significantly shorter cruising range, and on the top of that, I really do not like the gas efficiency.
2. Cost of ownership.
It comes with additional gimmicky features, which will likely to add unnecessary cost of ownership in long term. I do not feel I want to pay for it.
3. Aftermarket potential
I am specifically counting on the front and rear bumper as primary mounting points for accessories. Unlike LC's build, I feel the options to mount feature rich aftermarket bumpers on GX would be significantly limited.
4. Imaging
This is very minor, but I do not want to associate myself to other Lexus owners that tend to have a different stereotype than the typical offroad community. (a.k.a. rich soccer mom)

Having that said, there are some very desirable qualities that makes it hard for me to give away:
1. Cargo
GX has a larger cargo area, and more importantly it is FLAT. It adds many options how I can design my cargo space
2. Engine
I know it is gas hungry, but lord that is a smooth engine despite the recall on Tundra.
3. Wheel
Why LC did not comes with these wheel is beyond me. That is a proper wheel for offroad vehicle
4. Interior Quality
I know they are close, but Lexus still has superior build than Toyota

Hopfully this give you some insights

Back