Real World mpg

FYI Premium is the suggested octane. However, this is not required! You can run unleaded and you will not notice a difference! I still buy Premium but this is for optimum performance.!
Not sure what you mean. ALL fuel is unleaded, and has been since about 1975, IIRC.

Presumably they mean 85/87 octane. Not sure I’d risk putting that in my $60k car just to save $100/mo

Presumably they mean 85/87 octane. Not sure I’d risk putting that in my $60k car just to save $100/mo
Yea… if you have to ask how much it costs to dock a yacht at the marina, and how much fuel it burns an hour, you DO NOT need that yacht…

City and highway combined

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240915_180027_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240915_180027_Gallery.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 23
I run 87, getting ~23 mpg. If you’re running somewhat aggressive tires in a larger size than stock… that’s your 4-5 mpg less right there. Probably would only be 2-3 mpg less if it was a 6 cylinder, but it’s not.

Another variable to throw in is I do believe non-ethanol unleaded makes a difference as well. I am sure some will weight in and confirm or correct me, but I remember when CA instituted ethanol and it was a 2-3 mpg hit.

Another variable to throw in is I do believe non-ethanol unleaded makes a difference as well. I am sure some will weight in and confirm or correct me, but I remember when CA instituted ethanol and it was a 2-3 mpg hit.
As I stated elsewhere in this forum, my 2006 Avalanche was getting 21.5 MPG on the interstates, right up until ethanol was added to the fuel in 2008. The first tank of E10 fuel immediately delivered 19 mpg, and never got any better.. .ever..

Last edited:
As I stated elsewhere in this forum, my 2006 Avalanche was getting 21.5 MPG on the interstates, right up until ethanol was added to the fuel. The first tank of E10 fuel immediately delivered 19 mpg, and never got any better.. .ever..
I will add to this trend. Was getting 25ish on mountain highways. Added 10% E premium in Laramie and suddenly 21mpg on much flatter roads

1. It's worth mentionin that 93 Octane isn't available in California
It is, it's just isn't common.

One of our local gas stations. No ethanol in any of the fuel either. It is a kind of specialty gas station, it also happens to be on my way to work. Back when I had a WRX that would ping on 91 under hard acceleration I'd stop here and boost the octane up to around 93-95.

Screenshot 2024-09-18 at 11.22.30 AM.png

It is, it's just isn't common.

One of our local gas stations. No ethanol in any of the fuel either. It is a kind of specialty gas station, it also happens to be on my way to work. Back when I had a WRX that would ping on 91 under hard acceleration I'd stop here and boost the octane up to around 93-95.

View attachment 12065

Wow, is this catering to the Sonoma/Laguna Seca amateur crowd?

Totally forgot about the ethanol. Next time I spend time at a state with real gas, I'll experiment with this.

I drive like grandma now cuz its like a personal contest at this point to break 20 mpg.... im in So Cal, so i've been yelled at and shot at.....

Back