1958 folks.. regrets?

1958 was a sweet spot for me in regards to price and options. I wasn't interested in a $70K+ vehicle (already have a TRD Pro 4R and F-150 Raptor) and some of the "upgrades" like cool box, sunroof and leather and noisy roof rack don't interest me at all. I'd like to have the JBL audio (maybe if it was stand alone for $500) and would appreciate the bigger screen if it wasn't such a huge $$ leap to get it.

I really like the idea of a more bare bones LC to keep the price down and compared to our 4R it already has quite a few upgrades in safety sense stuff, camera quality, wireless carplay, etc. for about the same MSRP.

I appreciate the engine/trans/suspension aspect more than chasing tech features as it seems I can never quite keep up with the newest tech stuff anyway and it never seems quite worth the $$ to me personally. I love the LC as a $60k vehicle, but not sure I could like it at $70-78k compared to other options.

Instead of tech I put some Ridge Grapplers on it and immediately got it dirty doing some off-roading. Was planning on taking it on upcoming trip to Moab, but the new Raptor might have thrown a monkey wrench in those plans.....

Before MTS, CC and other tech, we used to just wheel what we had with open diffs or maybe some ARB lockers etc.. All this tech is pretty lame and just removes from the driving experience. How can you have fun and learn skills as an off road enthusiast when you are getting lazy with the computer taking over. I could care less about MTS or CC but the rear locker and decent driving skills can make for a fun day. I'm never gonna pay LC LC or FE price on anything. To each our own. Give me an old CJ or FJ and now we are having some fun for cheap.

Last edited:
Back