1958 folks.. regrets?

1958 was a sweet spot for me in regards to price and options. I wasn't interested in a $70K+ vehicle (already have a TRD Pro 4R and F-150 Raptor) and some of the "upgrades" like cool box, sunroof and leather and noisy roof rack don't interest me at all. I'd like to have the JBL audio (maybe if it was stand alone for $500) and would appreciate the bigger screen if it wasn't such a huge $$ leap to get it.

I really like the idea of a more bare bones LC to keep the price down and compared to our 4R it already has quite a few upgrades in safety sense stuff, camera quality, wireless carplay, etc. for about the same MSRP.

I appreciate the engine/trans/suspension aspect more than chasing tech features as it seems I can never quite keep up with the newest tech stuff anyway and it never seems quite worth the $$ to me personally. I love the LC as a $60k vehicle, but not sure I could like it at $70-78k compared to other options.

Instead of tech I put some Ridge Grapplers on it and immediately got it dirty doing some off-roading. Was planning on taking it on upcoming trip to Moab, but the new Raptor might have thrown a monkey wrench in those plans.....

Before MTS, CC and other tech, we used to just wheel what we had with open diffs or maybe some ARB lockers etc.. All this tech is pretty lame and just removes from the driving experience. How can you have fun and learn skills as an off road enthusiast when you are getting lazy with the computer taking over. I could care less about MTS or CC but the rear locker and decent driving skills can make for a fun day. I'm never gonna pay LC LC or FE price on anything. To each our own. Give me an old CJ or FJ and now we are having some fun for cheap.

Last edited:
58 owner and it literally checked all the boxes for me. Coming from a 13 Tacoma it’s got way more tech than I’m used to. Actually I turned a lot of it off. I specifically wanted the round headlights and cloth seats. I love the interior and truly enjoying the vehicle. I also wanted the smaller screen. In some of the trucks and suvs being offered the information screen seems to be obstructive. For me with fishing, hunting, range time the 58 is perfect. My wife has the GX premium + and loves it. Don’t get me wrong it’s a great truck but way to nice for my use. In short I love my 58 and having a great time with it.

LCLC No-premium here. Happy with my decision generally.

If the 1958 model had come in the two-tone color options I probably would have had a much harder time choosing between LCLC and 1958.

After about ~2500mi over ~4 months I’m very happy about having:
  • two-tone color
  • MTM/cameras
  • sway bar disconnect
  • bigger screen
  • running boards
  • roof rails (I also got the crossbars)
  • improved audio

I would rather have had:
  • cloth seats
  • manual lift gate

If you want third row seats you’ll need to buy a Lexus. I personally like the LC Premium (I still don’t get the LCLC verbiage)…I’m glad I got all the upgrades… if you want a stripped trim the 1958 if the right choice for you… cloth seats (easy to clean and no scratches), small screen (no distractions), no power seats, cheaper price… if round head lights are important… you can get head light replacements… I’ve seen thread on here about it…. It’s all personal choice of wants and needs… nothing is wrong or right.

Don't forget to ask the LCLC owners, too. Lots are happy with the $ variance they paid to get the little upgrades like more soft-touch materials and a better-throwing headlight, among other things.
Where are you getting better throwing headlights from? I have not seen a single review/thread that indicates that.

I own LCLC, wouldn’t never have been happy with the 58. Key features missing for me:

Swaybar disconnect
360 camera
Color
Agree! I also own an LCLC; the main reasons are the bar disconnect, cloth seats, and reduced technology, including the entertainment center. Those were a no-no for me. I'm very happy with my LCLC

Nope. If i wanted a luxury sled, i would’ve blown right past the yota dealer and into a g-wagen. And like a few others on here, i come from the ‘get outta the cab and in the knee deep mud to manually engage the lockers’ kind of wheeling, and that wheeling was the best wheeling. All of these nannies and gadgets and software just neuter the wheeling experience for me. But who honestly gives a shit anyway? Buy what you like and try not to compare your trim decisions to what others have bought. As someone much wiser than me once said “ain’t nobody got time” for that.

Last edited:
I’m really happy with my 1958. The biggest thing I miss is not getting the blue or “trail dust” colors. At the time, I was disappointed to not have the larger screen and the sway bar disconnect, but as others have said, I don’t really need the articulation, and the 1958 has an 8” screen! That was huge like five years ago.

I have started to miss the power lift gate. I have a 1 year old, and it would be nice to more easily open the gate while holding him.

PS - The painted bumper corner square things can be ordered at the dealer, just sayin’.

Nope. If i wanted a luxury sled, i would’ve blown right past the yota dealer and into a g-wagen. And like a few others on here, i come from the ‘get outta the cab and in the knee deep mud to manually engage the lockers’ kind of wheeling, and that wheeling was the best wheeling. All of these nannies and gadgets and software just neuter the wheeling experience for me. But who honestly gives a shit anyway? Buy what you like and try not to compare your trim decisions to what others have bought. As someone much wiser than me once said “ain’t nobody got time” for that.
Although the numbers are somewhat disputed because they are hard to count (unique lines would probably be a more meaningful measure), many people in the industry believe that a modern luxury car has over 100 million lines of code and growing rapidly. For comparison, below is a fun infographic from 2015.

1730135937200.png

This phenomenon led Elon Musk to famously describe the Tesla Model S as a sophisticated computer with wheels on it. Something to think about when considering all the safety, entertainment, and driving software on the Land Cruiser.

Personally, I like and value all the fancy features. It is amazing the amount of work that goes into them and I am surprised that the software is not more buggy than it actually is given the quantity of it. However, it does make me wonder, at what point are we transitioning from driving a machine to going along for the ride on a computer? :)

I like my 1958. No regrets. I think it’s cool. It’s a man’s truck - basic and utilitarian. Only thing i needed to add is running boards for when i cart women around.

If i was going to spend $65k i would go for the GX

I have the LCLC in Meteor Shower and love it except for the cool box, which is a waste of space. I would much rather have had a regular console for storage, especially since the glove compartment is also small. After I got the LCLC, I saw this gentleman on YouTube and he gives a very informative description for the 1958 model (more pros than cons).

PS - The painted bumper corner square things can be ordered at the dealer, just sayin’.
Are you referring to this part? I was under the impression these had one part number and were all unpainted when ordered from the dealer.

1730139256866.png

Back