2025 4Runner tease

LC/GX exteriors are more visually appealing to me and their interiors seem more refined…but to each their own!

9.5 rear diff on TH 4R is nice and better than the LC.

and so 9 trim levels?!? wow.

makes me think we’ll see at least one additional LC trim after the FE.

let’s not forget this one that was spotted.

perhaps a TH LC will get the bigger diff?

IMG_2081.jpeg

Last edited:
It'll be interesting to see what parts are swap-able between the LC and the 4R. I like those TH wheels, and might like power running boards, etc.

LC/GX exteriors are more visually appealing to me and their interiors seem more refined…but to each their own!

9.5 rear diff on TH 4R is nice and better than the LC.

and so 9 trim levels?!? wow.

makes me think we’ll see at least one additional LC trim after the FE.

let’s not forget this one that was spotted.

perhaps a TH LC will get the bigger diff?

View attachment 1326
🤩

With the trims of the 4Runner so ridiculously similar to the land cruiser, and considering the fact that the overseas Lexus GX500h is essentially a land cruiser. I wouldn't be surprised if the 2025 or 2026 model land cruiser has a trim that offers the 3.4 turbo engine under the hood.

IDK, I'm sure liking that Runner vs. the LC...

This pic makes the back seat look tight. But it also looks like the front seat is crazy far back. This makes no sense since it's longer than the 5th Gen. I expect that back seat leg room will be fine. I'm 6'2" and in my 2010 there is plenty of room behind my seat, just can't see that not being true in the 6th Gen.View attachment 1324
My husband bought one of the new 2024s, it is tight. OK for my littles, but a little cuddly for adults.

The 2025 Toyota 4Runner is finally here. It's more capable than ever, with more off-road equipment and up to 326 horsepower available from a new hybrid powertrain. It's also got more competition than ever. And some of that competition is coming from within the brand.

The Toyota Land Cruiser, new for 2024, isn't the giant, V-8-powered monolith it used to be. Smaller, cheaper, and lighter than before, the Land Cruiser is now within spitting distance of the 4Runner when it comes to power, dimensions, and capabilities. Take a look at the specs back-to-back between a 4Runner equipped with the optional hybrid powertrain and a Land Cruiser to compare for yourself:

Specs2025 Toyota 4Runner I-Force Max2024 Toyota Land Cruiser
EngineTurbocharged 2.4-Liter Four-Cylinder HybridTurbocharged 2.4-Liter Four-Cylinder Hybrid
Transmission8-Speed Automatic8-Speed Automatic
DrivetrainPart-Time or Full-Time 4WD With Two-Speed Transfer CasePart-Time or Full-Time 4WD With Two-Speed Transfer Case
Power326 HP / 465 lb-ft326 HP / 465 lb-ft
Towing6,000 Pounds6,000 Pounds
Wheelbase112.2 Inches112.2 Inches
Overall Length194.9 Inches193.8 Inches
Overall Width77.8 Inches77.9 Inches
Overall Height70.8 Inches76.1 Inches
Ground Clearance9.2 Inches8.0 Inches
Powertrains for the two SUVs are identical, as are output, towing capacity, and wheelbase. Overall length, overall width, and ground clearance are essentially the same, too. The biggest differences come in overall height, where the Land Cruiser is nearly six inches taller.

"They each have a role, a mission that differentiates the two vehicles," Keita Moritsu, chief engineer for both the Land Cruiser and the 4Runner, told Motor1 through a translator. "The Land Cruiser is designed to support life. It has to be safe. Its duty is to transport people and goods safely and confidently. That's it's role. And obviously, it doesn't break. And even if it does break, it has to be easy to repair. It's a vehicle that gives people a peace of mind. That's the role of that vehicle."

"In contrast, the 4Runner represents fun," Moritsu adds. "A leisurely off-road [experience]. The customers want to have an exciting time in the car. And to really be able to have fun is what's important. It's a much lighter, agile kind of vehicle. And [it has] a much more energetic, active kind of persona to it."

Then there's the matter of pricing. The Land Cruiser is no longer an $80,000-plus affair. Because of its new, more budget-friendly approach, it's now priced from $57,445, including destination. While we don't yet know pricing for the 2025 4Runner, we suspect the it won't be more than a few thousand dollars more expensive than the outgoing model, which started at $41,600 including destination.

That gap is large simply because you can get a new 4Runner without all of the hybrid systems or fancy 4WD equipment, if you wish. Option all of that stuff back in, though, and we suspect the 4Runner's MSRP will get dangerously close to the Land Cruiser in terms of price.

"When you compare the two side profiles of each vehicle it'll give you a better idea [of the differences]," Moritsu tells Motor1. The tires look larger on the 4Runner because [designers] slimmed down the body profile, and it also looks like it has a very high-lift stance on it. It uses an active-looking movement, powerful[-looking] silhouette, and also the legendary, heritage-inspired trapezoidal mask for the front face.

"By blending all of those components into the design, combined with outstanding off-road performance, I believe this is a car that everybody can enjoy for the next 15 years."

Chris Perkins contributed to this report. Quotes have been edited for clarity.

Source

The fact that these two vehicles (and the GX hybrid when it comes out) are so similar may be a problem for Toyota, but not the buyer! More choices and probably better dealer pricing since there is more competition.

I'm surprised at the height difference between the two. The Land Cruiser looks to have considerably more headroom, especially in the rear seat and cargo area.

I don't like the back quarter panel window. My biggest complaint about my FJ is the nasty blind spot. The 4 Runner looks like it will have the same issue.

@Dragoon - isn’t that article incorrect on drivetrain specs?

LC is only full time 4WD

4R has a couple options depending on the model. 2WD, part time 4WD & full time 4WD

also worth noting LC has center diff lock and rear locker.

4R has rear locker on some trims (confirmed on TH & Pro) and looks like center diff on others (like Limited). so far haven’t seen 4R with both center and rear locker like LC

IMG_2907.jpeg

@Dragoon - isn’t that article incorrect on drivetrain specs?

LC is only full time 4WD

4R has a couple options depending on the model. 2WD, part time 4WD & full time 4WD

also worth noting LC has center diff lock and rear locker.

4R has rear locker on some trims (confirmed on TH & Pro) and looks like center diff on others (like Limited). so far haven’t seen 4R with both center and rear locker like LC

View attachment 1333
You are correct about the 4Runner's drivetrain. It's definitely confusing since there are so many 4Runner trim levels to compare apples to apples.

so many lol!

interesting to see how it all shakes out and why people will choose between the LC/4R and which trim

I think Toyota Newsroom made a mistake with the Full Time 4WD option. The reveal clearly shows the Limited with the non hybrid turbo with the FT4WD as standard with the 4 wheel drive option, same as now.. The Limited is also available with 2WD

2025 4RUNNER FULL TIME.JPG

4runner used to have a unique styling in the Toyota Lineup till 5th Gen.

With 6th gen, it totally lost that uniqueness.
They sort of kept the rear styling intact
For rest of the part , it’s a Tacoma without a bed.

I was in a confusion to wait for Land Cruiser or to put a deposit for 4runner as well. Now it’s clear, I am sticking with land Cruiser.

Thanks
Arun

Back