Realistic Waiting Time

Esquire

đź“› Founding Member
Apr 27, 2024
Omaha, NE
Vehicles
2022 Toyota 4Runner Limited - Black / Redwood; 2016 Porsche 911 - 991.1 Carrera Base - Black / Black
I just spoke with my salesman at the dealership I will likely buy from. He said the wait looks to be a year or so for a Landcruiser Edition in black or white.

He said the waiting list (which I have been on) is very long as we all know.

My question is how realistic is this "waiting list?" Is there a large percentage of those on the list that will ultimately not follow through
with the purchase when the time comes (for a number of reasons). Or are we seeing the vast majority on the list following through
with their purchase?

Was told I was "first on the list" for a LC and GX550. Baloney! Politics and financial profiling intervene, presumably above the salesperson level. Specifically, I see the GX's being committed and delivered, but do I get a call. Nope! I'm sure the same will happen when LC's commence delivery at our dealership. Hey, they are looking for buyers who will finance through them, blindly accept every add-on accessory, and possibly ADM. Not going down that road. And, to top everything off, the arrogance of Toyota, i.e. one can no longer factory order (color, etc.) a vehicle. YES, I am frustrated!

I got on a Salt Lake City dealer's list 2 months ago and am about #130! The sales guy (actually inventory manager) was very helpful but said it would realistically be more than a year before they get to me. They're the biggest dealer in SLC so should have the highest allocation. Even though I live 250 miles away from SLC, I've bought 3 vehicles from them so am a return customer.

At the time, the new 4Runner had not been revealed so I also put a deposit on a 4Runner and, at the time, was #35. I haven't seen either vehicle in person but, despite having owned 3 4Runners and driving one now, I just don't like the new design so will add that refundable deposit to the LC when they start delivering them regularly.

The question of how many people will opt not to follow through with their LC purchase is a GREAT one! Thinking about it, folks might bail out for a variety of reasons:
  • After seeing it and driving it, don't want it anymore
  • Poor reviews tip the scales away from the LC
  • Find another vehicle they like better (ie: next gen 4Runner)
  • Decide to keep their current vehicle (I am tempted to heavily modify my '21 4Runner instead)
  • Fuel costs (premium fuel or general gas price increases)
  • Financial situation changes
  • Health-related issues that change ability to use LC as planned
  • Find quicker availability with another dealer
  • Dealer mark-ups or other negative sales tactics
  • Wife/husband/partner/significant other not on board
Other reasons?

Last edited:
I just spoke with my salesman at the dealership I will likely buy from. He said the wait looks to be a year or so for a Landcruiser Edition in black or white.

My question is how realistic is this "waiting list?" Is there a large percentage of those on the list that will ultimately not follow through
with the purchase when the time comes (for a number of reasons). Or are we seeing the vast majority on the list following through
with their purchase?

As long as there are more buyers than cars, " the list" is a list of people they will call offering the car with dealer markups and add ons, hoping that someone will eventually bite. It is anyones guess when the cars will be readily available at which point "the list" will be meaningless.

Was told I was "first on the list" for a LC and GX550. Baloney! Politics and financial profiling intervene, presumably above the salesperson level. Specifically, I see the GX's being committed and delivered, but do I get a call. Nope! I'm sure the same will happen when LC's commence delivery at our dealership. Hey, they are looking for buyers who will finance through them, blindly accept every add-on accessory, and possibly ADM. Not going down that road. And, to top everything off, the arrogance of Toyota, i.e. one can no longer factory order (color, etc.) a vehicle. YES, I am frustrated!

with their purchase?
I was told a few months, update today, was about a year .. and I put a deposit down in August and was 7 in line… so - it’s all a guessing game

Have there been any bad reviews? Can we trust the YouTube shills? Sadly, what would be an alternative brand/vehicle to the LC?

Of note, it now appears conclusive the LC will require premium fuel. That alone is a big turnoff for me.

Have there been any bad reviews? Can we trust the YouTube shills? Sadly, what would be an alternative brand/vehicle to the LC?

Of note, it now appears conclusive the LC will require premium fuel. That alone is a big turnoff for me.
Good catch on the premium fuel...I'll add that to my list of reasons why folks don't get the LC.

I think that the single biggest reason that people won't follow through from waitlist to purchase (and it is significant) is the number of people on multiple waitlists that only need the first one that they can get.

I think that the single biggest reason that people won't follow through from waitlist to purchase (and it is significant) is the number of people on multiple waitlists that only need the first one that they can get.
Admittedly, as mentioned above, am on the waitlist for a LC and GX550. Leaning towards the latter, as mentioned above, even the LC requires premium fuel. So, for about 3 MPG/Highway difference, and with a V6/10-Speed, and presumably added soundproofing, the GX will be a smoother ride. And, if one is an avid off-roader, albeit I am not, the GX Overtrail trims are there.

I joined my waitlist in December. Was number 6. My LC Premium will be here in in about a month at MSRP. NoVA. I called dealers about a week ago that still had MSRP allocations they were trying to sell.

I joined my waitlist in December. Was number 6. My LC Premium will be here in in about a month at MSRP. NoVA. I called dealers about a week ago that still had MSRP allocations they were trying to sell.
Wow...where in the heck are you? I might swap lists!!

Northern Virginia. Went on toyota.com/search-inventory and started reaching out to dealers that had LCs listed without "Sale Pending" tag and no ADM. Three of them offered allocations and I think one was still open as of Friday. It was a Premium in Heritage Blue.

Ultimately I decided to keep my Wind Chill from the dealer I had been on the list with. Turned down the FE in Meteor Shower they offered me.

Northern Virginia. Went on toyota.com/search-inventory and started reaching out to dealers that had LCs listed without "Sale Pending" tag and no ADM. Three of them offered allocations and I think one was still open as of Friday. It was a Premium in Heritage Blue.

Ultimately I decided to keep my Wind Chill from the dealer I had been on the list with. Turned down the FE in Meteor Shower they offered me.
Damn...VA is a long drive from southern UT. 'last time I was there was doing the TransAmerica Bicycle Trail with my daughter way back in 2015. Maybe I could hitchhike?? I'll check that link to see what I find in the Rocky Mountain area.

Admittedly, as mentioned above, am on the waitlist for a LC and GX550. Leaning towards the latter, as mentioned above, even the LC requires premium fuel. So, for about 3 MPG/Highway difference, and with a V6/10-Speed, and presumably added soundproofing, the GX will be a smoother ride. And, if one is an avid off-roader, albeit I am not, the GX Overtrail trims are there.
I have also been toying with this idea but my big concern is certified service. The nearest Lexus is over 400 miles from me. I know some Toyota service bays will handle oil changes and general service milestones though, so would have to look into that aspect a little closer to home 🫤

Anytime you have a commodity that is in short supply, in relationship to the number of consumers who desire it, prices will go up, until supply exceeds demand. That is the situation we are all living with right now. I decided to pay my dealer $2500 over MSRP even though they told me last summer they would not mark up the LC’s. I wanted a FE and this is the price I am paying for it. I tend to get a new car every two years, or less and I pay cash for them. My only Land Cruiser stayed with me for 14 years. If I can do that again, I will save considerably more than the $2500 premium I am paying for the LC FE. It looks like an amazing truck. May will leave the list for the new 4Runner. And, as someone stated above, many of us were on multiple lists and we leave them once we have a car, with money down on it. Good luck to all of you.

I have also been toying with this idea but my big concern is certified service. The nearest Lexus is over 400 miles from me. I know some Toyota service bays will handle oil changes and general service milestones though, so would have to look into that aspect a little closer to home 🫤
I checked with Finlay Lexus in Spokane, also 400+ miles away from me. They stated warranty work must be performed at a Lexus dealer, Toyota 2 year oil free oil changes allowed at Toyota stores. Lexus has some kind of tow/pick up service for owners needing warranty work. They provide loaners at their location. I am on their list for an Overtrail.

Any idea what dates in May they will get allocations again? I check but seeing it’s not updated since 4th of April

This..... I am on multiple

If you put in a little work and are willing to travel you should be able to find a Landcruiser at MSRP by the end of the year even if you are not on any lists right now. I just called a dealer in Nevada that has only 33 people on their waitlist. Also - people back out of purchases and when the model year shifts to 2025 there will be some unwanted 2024s. Things change fast - last April Broncos were selling for $5k over MSRP in the bay area. Today they are selling for $3k-$5k under MSRP.

Agreed. We were third on my local dealer's list for a FE with a deposit, but when they could only offer me a black one, the husband went to work. Due to an extremely helpful man at Hatch Toyota in Show Low, AZ (SO to TJ!), we located two in Mesa, AZ. Dealer wanted 10k over TSRP. We offered 3k, and it was accepted. Ultimately, at this price point, I'd rather pay 3k over asking and get the exact car I want. I expect to keep it forever. We signed a doc from the dealer and paid 5k. It arrived in Long Beach this morning!

Back