Will I hate the 20" wheels?

mrpoopyface

๐Ÿ“› Founding Member
Jul 6, 2024
Texas
Vehicles
wagoneer
So excited for my upcoming LC but after reading on this forum, it sounds like the 20" wheels are not the way to go. So I have some questions.

1. Are there any advantages to the 20" wheels? Like, better gas mileage, smoother ride, etc.?
2. Will the 20" be better for my use case? So, I don't plan on off roading. I am a hiker / backpacker and plan on taking this to trail heads. On occasion I need high clearance to get to a trail head. This might happen once or twice a year. This would also be my daily commute.

20's would be ok for your usage - They will ride smooth and get you through forest roads / country trails and are capable of everything you could imagine.

If you didn't like them you could always sell them and get different wheels and tires of your choosing. Personalize the car if you are into that kind of thing.

We have the 20โ€ rims and we like them. If you view some of the review videos on YouTube, youโ€™ll see that some of the test models have the 20โ€ rims. They seem to be just as capable on those test tracks as the 18โ€. Now I know that some will disagree with me, but I would buy a LC with either wheel. Iโ€™m sure that someone on this forum would trade you.

No
So excited for my upcoming LC but after reading on this forum, it sounds like the 20" wheels are not the way to go. So I have some questions.

1. Are there any advantages to the 20" wheels? Like, better gas mileage, smoother ride, etc.?
2. Will the 20" be better for my use case? So, I don't plan on off roading. I am a hiker / backpacker and plan on taking this to trail heads. On occasion I need high clearance to get to a trail head. This might happen once or twice a year. This would also be my daily commute.
No......... Tires are the game changer:
Harder = slightly better MPG (not worth it IMO)
Softer = smoother ride, handles better at speed, but will wear much faster (not worth it IMO)
Greater air pressure =slightly better MPG, but will wear out the center tread much faster (not worth it IMO)
Wider = better traction in sand, looks cooler
Skinnier = looks stupid

I'd say with that use case you'd be fine with the stock 20" wheel and tire combo, but only because I also see that you are in Texas. If you were in New England where the "paved" roads are full of freeze/thaw potholes and uneven patches I'd say go for 18's or even 17's for some extra cushion. I find the potholes are very pronounced with the 20's

We have the 20โ€ rims and we like them. If you view some of the review videos on YouTube, youโ€™ll see that some of the test models have the 20โ€ rims. They seem to be just as capable on those test tracks as the 18โ€. Now I know that some will disagree with me, but I would buy a LC with either wheel. Iโ€™m sure that someone on this forum would trade you.
Yes, but the test tracks were not generally in rough/rocky situations, such as the hard rock mine debris we encounter in Nevada. However, agree with Lineman, for the OP, I think not an issue.

On my 4Runner I run 17" wheels with Blizzaks in the winter and 20" all seasons in the summer. If you like the look of a 20 and aren't running an off road tire anyway you will probably be just fine. I've always thought the mixed setup on my 4Runner was perfect for me.
1000002147.jpg

IMG_20210228_133216_01.jpg

Wow TheBat, look at all that road salt! Any problem with frame corrosion in your neck of the woods?

Wow TheBat, look at all that road salt! Any problem with frame corrosion in your neck of the woods?
Yes that is a nasty picture! Winter/Spring driving with snow covered gravel roads, pretty normal in Manitoba. They don't use salt on our roads, mostly just sand. My 14 year old 4Runner has no body rust at all. Amazing! There is what I would call corrosion on the frame, it's not even surface rust really. Solid as brand new.

Yes that is a nasty picture! Winter/Spring driving with snow covered gravel roads, pretty normal in Manitoba. They don't use salt on our roads, mostly just sand. My 14 year old 4Runner has no body rust at all. Amazing! There is what I would call corrosion on the frame, it's not even surface rust really. Solid as brand new.
Do you use any anti corrosion treatments. Much more salt used on roads here in Ontario.

Youโ€™ll be fine on 20โ€™s. Most people would. Many people like 18โ€™s for the look of a taller sidewall. Youโ€™ll see a lot of people ( not just lc owners) with big aggressive tires and never a spec of dirt on their vehicle.

You will be fine with 20s given your use case. Itโ€™s really just all about the use caseโ€”if you go off road or drive on rocky, unimproved roads regularly then you will want 18s. Otherwise, 20s are more than adequate.

You may hate the 20" wheels when it is time to get new tires. Tires for the 20" seem to be 30%+ than the 18".

I prefer the look of the 20" wheels. However, I fully understand the desire for 18"'s for trailing it. And they do look sharp with bit of a larger tire on 18's.

Reactions: fhb
I would add that, if you were to switch, you might wait a year and see what kind of 17โ€ options are available in the marketplace. I think there will be some really solid off-road style wheels that have more clearance to the calipers than what is currently available, and if you are changing the wheels, you may as well just swap to 17s.

I've been trying to decide myself whether to settle for the 20" wheels, a few of the reasons I've given myself have been listed above. One I haven't seen -- for the three peak all terrain tires I'm focused on, there seem to be better standard load (lighter) tire options in the 33" range for the 20" wheels right now than the 18". I wish I could find a weight for the 20" wheel, but hand waving most of the 18" options are E load ~60+ lb tires vs. several standard load 40-something lb tires for the 20". That's likely going to be more fuel efficient. I could put a standard load Mickey Thompson Baja Boss A/T 33.4" tire on the 20" wheel for probably at least 10 lbs less weight per tire+wheel than the good 18" options. That's a little insane. And tempting . . . Edit: we now know the 20" wheel weighs about 40 lbs, about 12 lbs heavier than the 18" wheel, which would eat most of the weight savings you'd have from the lighter tire options.

The rest of the reasons are waiting for better 18" wheel and tire options. I'd love to get some 18" Method bead grip wheels with a ~35 or 40 offset, but they don't currently exist. And it would be nice if there were more standard or C load options in 18". (I'm on gravel roads enough that the few mm of clearance 17" wheels have from the brake calipers concerns me.) Between the Land Cruiser and the new 4Runner, there are bound to be more good options in a year or so.

Last edited:
I saw a 20" equipped LC trim beside a first edition earlier this week, and the difference in the sidewall isn't that massive, TBH. If we were talking 4Runner that is on a smaller overall tire diameter, the 20s seem really pronounced. The taller tires on the Land Cruiser make the 20s look not so much like a wagon wheel and it still has a robust sidewall. For moderate off roading, they will be totally fine.

Last edited:
Can you just put tires not eh 20's that'll make it perform better off road? If so, give me an idea of what would be a good tire to put on the 20.

Back