Tire upgrades on 20 in. rims?

Has anyone upgraded from the Dunlops to a more trail worthy tire on the optional 20 in. rims? If so could you please post pics and initial impressions?

I currently have a LC Premium w/20 inchers sitting in the Port of Portland. The first thing I plan on doing is upgrading the tires to KO2s, Falken Wildpeak AT4Ws or Toyo Open Country IIIs. I want the three peak mountain snowflake designation and that severely limits my options, particularly when compared to 18 in rims.
I had Falken Wildpeak AT4Ws installed on my 20's today. They look fantastic! I'm heading out west in a couple of weeks to get them out on some trails. We'll see if you can't wheel on 20's like people seem to think.

Attachments

• 20240828_165445.jpg
    20240828_165445.jpg
    413.6 KB · Views: 81
I have a LC with 20 inch wheels. I am getting a shimmy when going over bumps in the road. I am use to cars versus a truck type vehicle. Is this just normal? I am taking it to the dealer on Friday to have them check the balance on the tires. But, if they check everything and I still have the same problem, I wanted to see if different tires would help the problem? I want all season tires and want to stay with the 20 inch wheels. Please let me know if you have any advice. I don’t plan on doing any off roading. I bought the vehicle because I wanted something different, liked the way it looked, and wanted to sit higher! And, I am a Badass Bitch! Just kidding!😂
These have live rear axles in the back, which are more or less the old school axle design where you have a horizontal member connecting the wheels that’s driven by a bearing in the middle. It’s the way all cars were up to a point. Off road vehicles still use them in some cases, especially body on frame trucks like the Land Cruiser.

The live axles do shimmy a little on road imperfections. Someone might come along with a technical explanation for why, but they do. There may be nothing wrong with your vehicle. Probably still makes sense to have it looked at though.

Enjoy - get it off the pavement a little so you can experience the upside!

Back