Tire upgrades on 20 in. rims?

Has anyone upgraded from the Dunlops to a more trail worthy tire on the optional 20 in. rims? If so could you please post pics and initial impressions?

I currently have a LC Premium w/20 inchers sitting in the Port of Portland. The first thing I plan on doing is upgrading the tires to KO2s, Falken Wildpeak AT4Ws or Toyo Open Country IIIs. I want the three peak mountain snowflake designation and that severely limits my options, particularly when compared to 18 in rims.
I had Falken Wildpeak AT4Ws installed on my 20's today. They look fantastic! I'm heading out west in a couple of weeks to get them out on some trails. We'll see if you can't wheel on 20's like people seem to think.

Attachments

• 20240828_165445.jpg
    20240828_165445.jpg
    413.6 KB · Views: 136
I have a LC with 20 inch wheels. I am getting a shimmy when going over bumps in the road. I am use to cars versus a truck type vehicle. Is this just normal? I am taking it to the dealer on Friday to have them check the balance on the tires. But, if they check everything and I still have the same problem, I wanted to see if different tires would help the problem? I want all season tires and want to stay with the 20 inch wheels. Please let me know if you have any advice. I don’t plan on doing any off roading. I bought the vehicle because I wanted something different, liked the way it looked, and wanted to sit higher! And, I am a Badass Bitch! Just kidding!😂
These have live rear axles in the back, which are more or less the old school axle design where you have a horizontal member connecting the wheels that’s driven by a bearing in the middle. It’s the way all cars were up to a point. Off road vehicles still use them in some cases, especially body on frame trucks like the Land Cruiser.

The live axles do shimmy a little on road imperfections. Someone might come along with a technical explanation for why, but they do. There may be nothing wrong with your vehicle. Probably still makes sense to have it looked at though.

Enjoy - get it off the pavement a little so you can experience the upside!

Went with a slightly bigger tire size (275/60 R20) and had the Continental Terrain Contact A/T installed.

View attachment 9289
Those have been my favorite tires. Always were excellent on wet roads wet breaking dry breaking cornering. I just absolutely love those tires! I always have put them as my first tire change on my vehicles. I even replace new hand cooks for those cause those hand cooks suck on wet roads. They came on my Hondas.

I ordered 275/60/20 General Arctic Grabbers for winter.. should be arriving in a week or two, and installed in maybe 3-4 weeks after. With snow on the ground ~5-6 months of the year, I had to have a dedicated set.
For next spring, I have a set of aftermarket 18s to throw on.

I’m considering Toyo as well but looks like they won’t be available in my area any time soon. Alternatively, looking at Falken wildpeaks vs Nitto grapplers. Not really going to do a lot of off-road, I’m mostly driving on icy/snowy roads during weekends and I’m wandering if I should go with A/T tires, vs considering a dedicated winter set. But I’m not too excited about the idea of swapping them in and out. Any suggestions??

Back