What is the milage on the odometer on delivery?

ultane

📛 Founding Member
Jun 29, 2024
Media
SE USA
Vehicles
First Edition
I’m not trying to be weird, but I told my sales person that I didn’t want ANYONE driving my LC FE when it arrives at the dealership. He was very supportive of my wishes, but over time, he said that sometimes they come with 4 to 8 miles on the odometer, and there is nothing he can do about it. He has continued the wish washy talk.

Should I make this a deal breaker?

Over 60 years I have never purchased a vehicle with absolute zero miles. They are driven a tad at the plant, when loading/unloading on the ship/train, and at the dealer. However, I am 100% with you, nobody should drive my vehicle after arriving at the dealer, in particular a test drive.

Like said above the Landcruiser is built in Japan gets taken to a port in Japan then loaded onto a ship for a 2 week boat ride. Once off the ship it going to get eventually loaded onto rail. Once it lands at the rail distribution it will get loaded onto a transport. It can take 1 month to reach the dealership after landing stateside. Once it reaches the dealership it needs to be serviced by a qualified tech and taken for a short test drive to verify everything is working properly. Then it needs to be taken to a fuel station to get filled up with premium fuel. The least amount of miles I’ve seen coming off the transport was 1 mile. Normally it will be several more. Don’t fret about it having 5 or more miles some can be close to 10. I’d rather have a mechanic thoroughly inspect the car so there’s no strange rattles, not pulling, and all features are operational. And I’ve been selling new vehicles for over 45 years and have sold many thousands of Toyota’s. Good luck with your new ride I’m still waiting for mine.

I’m not trying to be weird, but I told my sales person that I didn’t want ANYONE driving my LC FE when it arrives at the dealership. He was very supportive of my wishes, but over time, he said that sometimes they come with 4 to 8 miles on the odometer, and there is nothing he can do about it. He has continued the wish washy talk.

Should I make this a deal breaker?
4 to 8 miles sounds about right for most new vehicles I've gotten "straight off the truck."

Mine had 7. They said one of the techs took it out for a few miles to confirm there were no issues. They said after an experience where there was a loose screw in an engine that blew up the engine leaving the dealership they always take it out once. They had a black one in the show room that had gone out on a few test drives.

Mine had 7. They said one of the techs took it out for a few miles to confirm there were no issues. They said after an experience where there was a loose screw in an engine that blew up the engine leaving the dealership they always take it out once. They had a black one in the show room that had gone out on a few test drives.
That sounds suspicious..

Mine had 9 miles. Straight off the truck and of course PDI and full tank of gas. I have had an embarrassing number of new cars and never had a new car with less than 4 miles on it. Most are around 6-12 miles with normal driving it takes to get it out of the plant, onto a truck/boat/train, through port inspection, etc. Some get a little extra from QA/QC testing at the factory and I am definitely with the dealer taking a little extra time with the PDI to make sure its good. Just bought a GR Corolla a few months ago and they forgot to take the shipping blocks out of the front springs, something they may have noticed on a more thorough pre delivery inspection.

That sounds suspicious..
what sounds suspicion? that they had another one that had been on test drives or that they put a few miles on it to make sure there were no issues. I have no issue with 7 miles.before delivery.

With only 3 miles and you put on 1 of them the service team dropped the ball. They never took it out for a pre delivery test drive to assure everything was working the way it needs to be. Our techs would get reprimanded for not finishing the inspection. Yes it’s new but things can still happen that should be caught early.

2.7 miles on mine. Then I put on 10 miles test driving it (No need for the service team to take it out ...I trust my eyes and ears better than theirs!)
Rolling on at Tahara and off at Benicia would account for all of that. Plant at Tahara is right next to dock. Benicia is a large port. And when they drive on to the ship they need to drive up and down many ramps depending on what deck they are on. There are some neat videos showing the process of RORO - Roll-On-Roll-Off...
Capture.JPG
Capture1JPG.JPG

Ya'll crack me up! Personally I would never ever make a decision to purchase a vehicle that I planned to drive regularly, based off 10 miles on the odometer.

Back