What cleaning products for interior trim and exterior plastics do you recommend?

crashpadsncontrails

📛 Founding Member
Apr 4, 2024
Media
Florence, KY
Vehicles
2024 LC FE
So I picked up my LC FE last month and discovered marring on my front bumper. They scheduled me in today for their ‘guy’ that they use for all Zenith warranty claims to ‘repair’ which amounted to using a heat gun on the black plastic bumper. It did work.

So ai asked what he recommended using for future marks and restoring any faded plastics on the exterior trim. He said stay away from silicone products and use oil based. He recommended baby oil which I question. He said hes been doing this for 20 years.

Any recommendations for exterior trim?

And even more importantly interior?

My interior dash is part leather and part hard plastic. He also said stay away from Armoral.

For interior cleaning, I've used Meguires and Turtle Wax brand interior cleaners. One thing to keep in mind is to spray the cleaner on a microfiber cloth outside of the car and then wipe down whatever you are trying to clean. If you spray inside, the mist can get on things you may not want it on, like the windshield.

I've recently discovered VRP by the Chemical Guys for exterior Vinyl, Rubber, or Plastic and have been very happy with it. Safe for all plastics and vinyl (and rubber). It's a lotion that I "paint" on with a brush because it helps you control where it goes and get into cracks and crevices. Then rub any excess off with a microfiber cloth. Below is a picture of the engine on my 13 year old LX570 with 198K miles on it after I detailed and used the VRP. It really brought the plastic and rubber hoses back to life and pop!

1723781379981.png

For interior cleaning, I've used Meguires and Turtle Wax brand interior cleaners. One thing to keep in mind is to spray the cleaner on a microfiber cloth outside of the car and then wipe down whatever you are trying to clean. If you spray inside, the mist can get on things you may not want it on, like the windshield.

I've recently discovered VRP by the Chemical Guys for exterior Vinyl, Rubber, or Plastic and have been very happy with it. Safe for all plastics and vinyl (and rubber). It's a lotion that I "paint" on with a brush because it helps you control where it goes and get into cracks and crevices. Then rub any excess off with a microfiber cloth. Below is a picture of the engine on my 13 year old LX570 with 198K miles on it after I detailed and used the VRP. It really brought the plastic and rubber hoses back to life and pop!

View attachment 8307
I'll have to give that a try.

Coming from an experienced Detailer who formally owned a detail company focusing on quality. Shine Supply is the only brand I used (tried them all).

Interior:
  • Deeper clean use their leather and interior
  • Maintenance use their cruise product

I prefer no grease/shine so cruise has UV protectant in it and works on screens as well.

Exterior:

• I love their ignition spray for maintenance post wash.
  • Clutch is the best product you’ll find for plastics. Apply with an applicator, let it sit for 20 min and wipe down to remove. Excellent product.

Back