Waiting on an answer from Toyota about a bad pressure control solenoid

Travileec

📛 Founding Member
Aug 1, 2024
Media
Walla Walla, WA
Vehicles
'24 Land Cruiser - LC (TRAIL DUST)
My LC has about 2,500mi on it to date and I just received it from the dealer in mid-July. Last week I drove it from Eastern WA to the west side for my quarterly in-office visit which ended up being about (850-900mi round trip) with a major malfunction. Now it's currently at my local dealer and the local tech just called me to say found the stored codes and tracked them to issue with a faulty Pressure Control Solenoid. He's still waiting to speak with Toyota to see how they'd like to proceed and that he will call me back later this afternoon. I'll share more details below.

I made my 320mi drive on Saturday when I got nearly home and decided to pull through my local taqueria. I pulled up to the window for my dinner when I noticed that the engine didn't shut off like it usually does sometimes at a complete stop. I didn't think much of it, plopped my tacos on the passenger side and pulled out of the parking lot. As I enter the road and press the accelerator, the engine revs like it's in neutral. I look down to see that the shifter is in neutral and at that same moment I hear and feel a big thunk like I was just rear-ended. After a quick check in my mirrors to make sure I'm not causing an accident the dash starts to light up with orange lights and warnings including Drive-Start Control Malfunction, PKSB System Malfunction, Hybrid System Malfunction, DRCC & PCS system malfunction screens along with orange indicators for the brake system warning, driving assist, DRCC & PCS. (I made sure to grab a video so I could remember what the warnings were in case it shut off)

The media console was also throwing up errors and directing me to call my dealer for service. I called immediately, not expecting to reach anyone at 7:30p on Saturday. Since the Land Cruiser still had power I drove it the 2 miles left until home. The car drove like it was in limp mode and I parked it in my driveway for the rest of the weekend. The next day I wanted to see if it still had all the same errors or if I'd be able to drive it to the dealer, so I started it up and almost all of the errors had disappeared except the one that said Hybrid System Malfunction. I shut it back off and waited until Monday morning. When I started it up that time, there were no error messages so I made it to the dealer when they first opened and left it with them.

They swapped keys with me for a new Highlander and said that my warranty agreement would cover the loaner through the week while they diagnose and work on my rig. I didn't hear anything else yesterday so I called and left a message to inquire about it this morning. A little later this morning I got the call with the solenoid diagnosis at the top. Of course, I'm only partially mechanically inclined so I google 'Land Cruiser Pressure Control Solenoid', and the results sort of line up with my experience. However, I'm not exactly sure how the system works with the hybrid integration in the transmission, and I'm curious what Toyota will say and if it's going to be a replacement of just the solenoid or if they found more damage with the transmission.

My LC has about 2,500mi on it to date and I just received it from the dealer in mid-July. Last week I drove it from Eastern WA to the west side for my quarterly in-office visit which ended up being about (850-900mi round trip) with a major malfunction. Now it's currently at my local dealer and the local tech just called me to say found the stored codes and tracked them to issue with a faulty Pressure Control Solenoid. He's still waiting to speak with Toyota to see how they'd like to proceed and that he will call me back later this afternoon. I'll share more details below.

I made my 320mi drive on Saturday when I got nearly home and decided to pull through my local taqueria. I pulled up to the window for my dinner when I noticed that the engine didn't shut off like it usually does sometimes at a complete stop. I didn't think much of it, plopped my tacos on the passenger side and pulled out of the parking lot. As I enter the road and press the accelerator, the engine revs like it's in neutral. I look down to see that the shifter is in neutral and at that same moment I hear and feel a big thunk like I was just rear-ended. After a quick check in my mirrors to make sure I'm not causing an accident the dash starts to light up with orange lights and warnings including Drive-Start Control Malfunction, PKSB System Malfunction, Hybrid System Malfunction, DRCC & PCS system malfunction screens along with orange indicators for the brake system warning, driving assist, DRCC & PCS. (I made sure to grab a video so I could remember what the warnings were in case it shut off)

The media console was also throwing up errors and directing me to call my dealer for service. I called immediately, not expecting to reach anyone at 7:30p on Saturday. Since the Land Cruiser still had power I drove it the 2 miles left until home. The car drove like it was in limp mode and I parked it in my driveway for the rest of the weekend. The next day I wanted to see if it still had all the same errors or if I'd be able to drive it to the dealer, so I started it up and almost all of the errors had disappeared except the one that said Hybrid System Malfunction. I shut it back off and waited until Monday morning. When I started it up that time, there were no error messages so I made it to the dealer when they first opened and left it with them.

They swapped keys with me for a new Highlander and said that my warranty agreement would cover the loaner through the week while they diagnose and work on my rig. I didn't hear anything else yesterday so I called and left a message to inquire about it this morning. A little later this morning I got the call with the solenoid diagnosis at the top. Of course, I'm only partially mechanically inclined so I google 'Land Cruiser Pressure Control Solenoid', and the results sort of line up with my experience. However, I'm not exactly sure how the system works with the hybrid integration in the transmission, and I'm curious what Toyota will say and if it's going to be a replacement of just the solenoid or if they found more damage with the transmission.

Any update

It's been at the dealership all week. The last update I got on Thursday was from the service department manager. She let me know that she was out of town for a training earlier in the week and that Toyota updated their portal that the technicians use to connect with the Toyota engineers so they've had a technical delay. She let me know that they are dropping the transmission pan, inspecting for additional damage, taking pictures, and sending everything to Toyota Engineers to review. She wasn't sure yet if it just needed a new valve body or a full transmission swap or anything else.

Oh… man, that sounds like it’s going to be a minute. Sorry for you and ur LC - keep us updated

I just got the news this morning... My Trail Dust will be in the shop for the foreseeable future. They are going to be doing a full transmission swap and also replacing the torque converter. It's likely going to take a while to get the parts off the assembly line so I won't expect to see it back for a month or so. I stopped in at the dealer to see if they had a TRD Off-Road 4-Runner available for me to use in the interim and swap keys for the Highlander that they loaned me.

Last edited:
I just got the news this morning... My Trail Dust will be in the shop for the foreseeable future. They are going to be doing a full transmission swap and also replacing the torque converter. It's likely going to take a while to get the parts off the assembly line so I won't expect to see it back for a month or so. I stopped in at the dealer to see if they had a TRD Off-Road 4-Runner available for me to use in the interim and swap keys for the Highlander that they loaned me.
NOOOO… sorry

And still no concrete answer from Toyota. Makes me wonder what they are not telling you?

So much for a ‘proven’ design. 😏

Sorry
And still no concrete answer from Toyota. Makes me wonder what they are not telling you?

So much for a ‘proven’ design. 😏
Sorry? I thought the answer above was concrete enough?

"They are going to be doing a full transmission swap and also replacing the torque converter."

Too early to tell if this is one off, lemon situation (which is being fixed) or may have wider repercussions.

That sucks dirty pond water x2!

Hope Toyota and dealer come through for you!

That sucks dirty pond water x2!

Hope Toyota and dealer come through for you!
Thanks; while I wish I wasn't dealing with this in the first place, so far the dealership has been great and since it's warranty work I'm only temporarily displaced. My wife has enjoyed the Highlander but I'm glad to have swapped the keys for the 4-runner.

The latest update is that the parts will be shipping in early October.

In somewhat related news, it sounds like the 24 Tacoma also possibly has the same transmission issue. According to that article, some low-milage taco owners report the same issues and Toyota has put out an official Technical Service Bulletin (TSB).

The article listed some of the same codes that they found when diagnosing my Land Cruiser, "Pressure Control Solenoid." With the Tacoma, Land Cruiser, and '25 4-runner all using the same build that might make for a real pain for other owners unless Toyota can start stockpiling the parts here.

Dangit.. I had hoped that the Tacoma tranny issues would not cross over into our territory. Looks like I’ll have to get another set of worry beads to clutch while this issue unfolds before our eyes.

😤😡🤬

Back