Sudden Loss of Power or Limp Mode

UPDATE: Oh my goodness. It was our gas cap. The dealership that sold us the vehicle filled up the car and left the gas cap on the little door!! Thankfully, we encountered a very thorough and kind service manager at our local Toyota dealership who did not charge us the $235.

The error code was an evap issue.
At least it was easy and cheap!

UPDATE: Oh my goodness. It was our gas cap. The dealership that sold us the vehicle filled up the car and left the gas cap on the little door!! Thankfully, we encountered a very thorough and kind service manager at our local Toyota dealership who did not charge us the $235.

The error code was an evap issue.
Not only can’t the stealerships set the tire pressure properly, they can’t even put a gas cap on. Pure incompetence. But I’m glad you got your issue resolved.

View attachment 5033
This happened yesterday 7/15.
3 weeks after purchase. 900 Miles.

While driving out of my neighborhood and accelerating on to the main road there was a sudden loss of power....felt like the gears disengaged. I can hear the ICE increase RPM as I stepped on the gas but the car was not moving like it should. I had some power; enough to get me to the side of the road and park. These errors popped up on the dash:
1. Drive-Start Control Malfunction Visit Your Dealer
2. Hybrid System Malfunction Visit Your Dealer
3. System Malfunction Visit Your Dealer

I had the LC towed to the dealership courtesy of Toyota Roadside.

Some Backstory:
Purchasing dealership is 50 miles from my local and service dealership.
June 21: Purchased the LC....no issues...loving life.
June 29: The purchasing dealership installed Stargard GPS.
July 1-8: Multi-media screen would randomly not turn on.....gettin worried.
July 9: Service Dept could not replicate the issue and advised I return when the error is in progress.
July 15: Sudden loss of power and the LC on a tow truck.....not happy.

Got the LC Back today and she's running fine. No errors. Service Dept advised they did not see error codes on the dash or in the OBD Scan! They could not replicate the issue and advised Stargard be removed in order to perform a pure diagnosis. The computer reset for some reason and we don't know why. I suspect it's Stargard but none of the diagnostics were conclusive. Stargard GPS is one of those dealer installed upgrades that comes with the price of the car...but it's non-OEM.

The cause of the problems remains undetermined which means I'm still at risk of losing power while driving. This is a high risk malfunction; it's a major safety concern and I'll admit I'm scared of driving my car.

I'm gonna have Stargard GPS removed ASAP and monitor the car for 1000 miles and update progress here.

Sucks to have to go through this but that's the Beta Tester Life we chose.

07/29/2024 Update: Stargard GPS module removed on 7/18 (Odo 940ish). As of today (Odo 1,353) No issues.
I had the same exact issue happen with mine. Had it for about 3 week, 900 miles exactly, backed out of a parking space and went totally limp after 30ft or so. Same 3 error messages.
I was able to get it home and called roadside service after the dealership wasn’t able to answer any questions about when I could get it in for service. I needed to turn it around for the tow truck so I drove it down my street and back with no issues, hybrid drive engaged, error messages disappeared. I called off the tow just because I know I would have the dealership tell me there was no faults present.

View attachment 5033
This happened yesterday 7/15.
3 weeks after purchase. 900 Miles.

While driving out of my neighborhood and accelerating on to the main road there was a sudden loss of power....felt like the gears disengaged. I can hear the ICE increase RPM as I stepped on the gas but the car was not moving like it should. I had some power; enough to get me to the side of the road and park. These errors popped up on the dash:
1. Drive-Start Control Malfunction Visit Your Dealer
2. Hybrid System Malfunction Visit Your Dealer
3. System Malfunction Visit Your Dealer

I had the LC towed to the dealership courtesy of Toyota Roadside.

Some Backstory:
Purchasing dealership is 50 miles from my local and service dealership.
June 21: Purchased the LC....no issues...loving life.
June 29: The purchasing dealership installed Stargard GPS.
July 1-8: Multi-media screen would randomly not turn on.....gettin worried.
July 9: Service Dept could not replicate the issue and advised I return when the error is in progress.
July 15: Sudden loss of power and the LC on a tow truck.....not happy.

Got the LC Back today and she's running fine. No errors. Service Dept advised they did not see error codes on the dash or in the OBD Scan! They could not replicate the issue and advised Stargard be removed in order to perform a pure diagnosis. The computer reset for some reason and we don't know why. I suspect it's Stargard but none of the diagnostics were conclusive. Stargard GPS is one of those dealer installed upgrades that comes with the price of the car...but it's non-OEM.

The cause of the problems remains undetermined which means I'm still at risk of losing power while driving. This is a high risk malfunction; it's a major safety concern and I'll admit I'm scared of driving my car.

I'm gonna have Stargard GPS removed ASAP and monitor the car for 1000 miles and update progress here.

Sucks to have to go through this but that's the Beta Tester Life we chose.

07/29/2024 Update: Stargard GPS module removed on 7/18 (Odo 940ish). As of today (Odo 1,353) No issues.
This exact thing just happened to me. 452 miles ODO. Waiting for tow truck

Pictures of Malfunction Warnings

Attachments

• IMG_0091.jpeg
    IMG_0091.jpeg
    232.8 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_0090.jpeg
    IMG_0090.jpeg
    214.9 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_0093.jpeg
    IMG_0093.jpeg
    109.7 KB · Views: 76
There are several different culprits that can trigger the first message for Drive-Start Control Malfunction on Toyota vehicles. Did you check your gas cap as mentioned above? These reports are concerning, especially if you are traveling with your family in remote parts of the country. Hopefully the culprit is sorted out soon enough...

If you're still stranded waiting for a tow vehicle and are able to disconnect the negative terminal on your 12v battery in the back and wait a few minutes and then reconnect, it may clear the fault codes and allow you to get to a dealer.

There are several different culprits that can trigger the first message for Drive-Start Control Malfunction on Toyota vehicles. Did you check your gas cap as mentioned above? These reports are concerning, especially if you are traveling with your family in remote parts of the country. Hopefully the culprit is sorted out soon enough...

If you're still stranded waiting for a tow vehicle and are able to disconnect the negative terminal on your 12v battery in the back and wait a few minutes and then reconnect, it may clear the fault codes and allow you to get to a dealer.
Thanks for checking in. I haven’t fueled up in over a week so I’d be surprised if it was the gas cap….but who knows

Vehicle towed to local dealership (not where I purchased, but part of same group).

I’m in a loaner RAV4 which I’m lucky to have. Last loaner on the lot due to Tundra engine issues.

Hoping this is a simple reset issue, but really unsettling. I’m fortunate that this happened in my neighborhood, and not on a trip

Just guessing here..... but I'm guessing the 12v system has something to do with it. when my 12v battery went dead there were more flashing messages than I could read! then just nothing. Fully charged the 12v batt and all is well.

(edit) one of the ones I was able to read and thought was kind of funny "Parking Brake Inaccessible"

Last edited:
Just guessing here..... but I'm guessing the 12v system has something to do with it. when my 12v battery went dead there were more flashing messages than I could read! then just nothing. Fully charged the 12v batt and all is well.
These vehicles don’t have an alternator from my understanding so if there is a loose connection on the 12v battery terminal or the battery discharges enough, it sounds like it may cause several systems to shut down. If this is true, I’m surprised they didn’t figure out a way to use the hybrid battery as a backup with a warning that pops up to service the 12v battery.

Need more airline redundancy engineering thinking going into the Land Cruiser with its reputation to get you back home

These vehicles don’t have an alternator from my understanding so if there is a loose connection on the 12v battery terminal or the battery discharges enough, it sounds like it may cause several systems to shut down. If this is true, I’m surprised they didn’t figure out a way to use the hybrid battery as a backup with a warning that pops up to service the 12v battery.

Need more airline redundancy engineering thinking going into the Land Cruiser with its reputation to get you back home
I tried to research that very thing but with no joy. My thought was since it was converting the electric motor output to 12v to keep the 12v battery charged, it would be a simple process to draw from the hybrid battery for the same thing. My theory is somewhere there is a voltage regulator and that regulator needs adjustment. Just a guess tho'

I hope these issues get sorted out quickly. I’m sure they’re minor but still unsettling. Having this gremlin pop up with no cell service and 60 miles from pavement wouldn’t be fun.

I tried to research that very thing but with no joy. My thought was since it was converting the electric motor output to 12v to keep the 12v battery charged, it would be a simple process to draw from the hybrid battery for the same thing. My theory is somewhere there is a voltage regulator and that regulator needs adjustment. Just a guess tho'
The big metal box at the right back corner of the engine bay (that the orange cables connect into) is the "inverter with converter assembly" that, among other things, charges 12v battery from the hybrid battery. Video below explains this around 2.30 min mark.

The big metal box at the right back corner of the engine bay (that the orange cables connect into) is the "inverter with converter assembly" that, among other things, charges 12v battery from the hybrid battery. Video below explains this around 2.30 min mark.

It doesn't explain why the hybrid battery doesn't serve as a backup to the 12v battery if the 12v battery goes flat. I know from personal experience that if the 12v battery goes flat absolutely nothing works in the vehicle. It was going to be extremely difficult to climb into the cargo area and manually release the rear hatch lock. I had a hard time removing the cover when the hatch was open and easily assessable, looked impossible when the cover was below the floor level. Since I was at home when the battery went flat, I was able to hook a charger up to the under hood jumper and get the electric door locks to function and gain access to the 12v battery and give it a full charge. that would have been a lot harder on the side of the road.

Attachments

• Battery Long-Term Vehicle Storage Guidelines, T-SB-0026-23.pdf
    518.1 KB · Views: 28
  • Battery Maintenance During PDS, T-SB-0024-23.pdf
    473.3 KB · Views: 26
  • Battery Maintenance for HV-BEV and Auxiliary BatteriesT-SB-0025-23.pdf
    484.5 KB · Views: 25
Our plug in hybrid Volvo has the same issues with the 12V going dead causing all kinds of system problems, but it I understand correctly every time we plug it in, it makes sure both the hybrid and 12V batteries are charged. So the problems don't tend to start popping up until the 12V battery goes bad. This all has me wondering if I need to carry a 12 backup.

Our plug in hybrid Volvo has the same issues with the 12V going dead causing all kinds of system problems, but it I understand correctly every time we plug it in, it makes sure both the hybrid and 12V batteries are charged. So the problems don't tend to start popping up until the 12V battery goes bad. This all has me wondering if I need to carry a 12 backup.
I just purchased a Capacitor type jumper box (no battery) it uses capacitors and takes minutes to fully charge the box from your existing almost dead battery or from another battery, and it doesn't loose it's charge over time like a battery type does. And knowing haw capacitors charge, I suspect it'll charge from any type battery 9V etc...... we'll see

You need the 12v battery to initialize startup. The 12v battery activates the hybrid system along with everything electronic in the LC.

I just purchased a Capacitor type jumper box (no battery) it uses capacitors and takes minutes to fully charge the box from your existing almost dead battery or from another battery, and it doesn't loose it's charge over time like a battery type does. And knowing haw capacitors charge, I suspect it'll charge from any type battery 9V etc...... we'll see
I have considered getting one of those. What brand?

Please keep us posted on how it works for you (ie if it fails to meet your expectations).

I have considered getting one of those. What brand?

Please keep us posted on how it works for you (ie if it fails to meet your expectations).
This is the one I bought on the recommendation of the tester guy on UTube, He has always been spot on in his live tests, it's a bit pricy but since he came out with his side by side test with all the jump box tests people are buying them all up.
1723765745855.png

Thanks for checking in. I haven’t fueled up in over a week so I’d be surprised if it was the gas cap….but who knows

Vehicle towed to local dealership (not where I purchased, but part of same group).

I’m in a loaner RAV4 which I’m lucky to have. Last loaner on the lot due to Tundra engine issues.

Hoping this is a simple reset issue, but really unsettling. I’m fortunate that this happened in my neighborhood, and not on a trip

So the dealer cranked up my LC the morning after towed in, put it in drive and drove flawlessly around the parking lot. The warnings were gone and he can’t duplicate the issue yet. I wonder if he had run the diagnostic analysis when the vehicle rolled off the tow truck rather than waiting until the next morning if we’d have different/better information.

He did ask if I opened a door while the vehicle was in Drive and possibly moved forward with the door open. Codes indicate that this occurred. I did open the door while in drive to hand something to neighbor, but if I rolled forward it was no further than 2’, if at all. Hard to believe that this could be it, but that’s one line of thinking. If this is the source of the problem they really need a way for the owner to reset this. I was very fortunate to be 50’ from my house.

Service director is working hard to get to the bottom of this. Unfortunately despite multiple attempts he cannot yet duplicate the issue. He has escalated and opened a case with Toyota. We’ll see…..

So the dealer cranked up my LC the morning after towed in, put it in drive and drove flawlessly around the parking lot. The warnings were gone and he can’t duplicate the issue yet. I wonder if he had run the diagnostic analysis when the vehicle rolled off the tow truck rather than waiting until the next morning if we’d have different/better information.

He did ask if I opened a door while the vehicle was in Drive and possibly moved forward with the door open. Codes indicate that this occurred. I did open the door while in drive to hand something to neighbor, but if I rolled forward it was no further than 2’, if at all. Hard to believe that this could be it, but that’s one line of thinking. If this is the source of the problem they really need a way for the owner to reset this. I was very fortunate to be 50’ from my house.

Service director is working hard to get to the bottom of this. Unfortunately despite multiple attempts he cannot yet duplicate the issue. He has escalated and opened a case with Toyota. We’ll see…..
I was working on mine and pulled it up about 4' into the shade (with dvr's door open), brakes stopped it solid......... followed the instruction on the instrument display.......... everything unlocked and was good.

Had another instance happen at the parts store, rear hatch open, unloaded some truck batteries, Hybrid system was running in order to keep the AC going, closed the hatch. Went inside completed my transaction, came outside and the hatch was open (don't know I didn't actually shut it or if the touch sensor activated) loaded the new batteries, jumped in the driver's seat, pressed the start button........ nothing except warnings etc...... pissed off, I attempted to jump start it with one of the new batteries, no luck. Really pissed off now, then I actually read the message on the screen, foot on brake, and I think it was push the "return arrow" button...... magic! everything worked like it was supposed to.

The pedestrian warning stuff is pure safety, but very frustrating when not used to it and not reading the instructions on the screen didn't help either.

Last edited:
Back