Took it off-roading..:it’s in the shop

ctgallosb

📛 Founding Member
Jul 1, 2024
Media
Vehicles
land cruiser 2024
Hi guys. I’ve had my LC for 5 weeks and have gone on medium and easy dirt trails mostly since I’m an OR noob. On Saturday I went to a day class at the Pismo dunes. Such a fun day—see pics. However, near the end I got an engine light on, leaking coolant and several other errors. I had to drop it at the local dealer and rent a car to get home.

My guess is that because we had to air down to ~8 psi the little clearance of the LC was reduced even further. Then to get up dunes I had to gun it, which means that if there was a rough spot at the bottom it rammed into the skid plate before heading uphill. It looks like this happened enough that it bent and must have munched the radiator. I’ll post what I hear back from dealer.

Also the little cover for the hitch fell off right away…

I’m on 20” wheels and the stock LC
tires. Would switching to 18” wheels and bigger tires help a lot?

Attachments

• IMG_2743.jpeg
    IMG_2743.jpeg
    212.9 KB · Views: 356
  • IMG_2745.jpeg
    IMG_2745.jpeg
    272.8 KB · Views: 312
  • IMG_4389.mov
    7.2 MB
  • IMG_4397.mov
    9 MB
  • IMG_4392.jpeg
    IMG_4392.jpeg
    197.9 KB · Views: 309
Interesting. Sounds like our skid plate isnt very sturdy.
Sorry for your loss

I'm wondering if he had skid plates or the under body covers (many confuse with skid plates) that are not meant to take much, if any, of an impact?

As the owner and a noob, it could be. I have the LC mid level with the premium pack and some other stock add ons but I’m not really positive. It has some protection down there (the covers that bent) but I can’t say it’s def a skid plate)

Interesting, it sounds like the fellas in this video ran into the same issue under similar circumstances.

It’s funny, that’s the video that made me want to learn how to drive in the dunes to get out there. Yes may be same result without catching all that air

Switching to 18’s and bigger tires only gonna help you a little. What’s the reason you aired down? Did you get stuck at some point?
My wife’s highlander leaked antifreeze a couple weeks after taking delivery. Strictly used on road. Simply just a loose hose clamp. Usually Toyota off road vehicles can take a beating. Every vehicle gonna have its limits. Nice lc btw!

Switching to 18’s and bigger tires only gonna help you a little. What’s the reason you aired down? Did you get stuck at some point?
My wife’s highlander leaked antifreeze a couple weeks after taking delivery. Strictly used on road. Simply just a loose hose clamp. Usually Toyota off road vehicles can take a beating. Every vehicle gonna have its limits. Nice lc btw!
We all aired down to take on the dunes. He's a good instructor so had us try it (unsuccessfully) at higher psi until we found something that worked. I think we were all around 18 to begin and then I got down to 8-9 to get up the dune.

We all aired down to take on the dunes. He's a good instructor so had us try it (unsuccessfully) at higher psi until we found something that worked. I think we were all around 18 to begin and then I got down to 8-9 to get up the dune.
Ive been to Pismo many times. Those dunes can be terrifying.
Seen a lot of stock Toyotas stuck there.

Theres some great classic off road trails near pismo. One goes to a water fall with a water crossing and one to top of hill over morro bay.
Stock LC can do both. And no sand.

These are the upgraded skid plates, correct? Noticed a video where some skid plates are very thin, and even partially plastic.
no mine is a black thin one that looks bent/munched now

Referred to as "under covers" in the skid plate install pdf.

Attachments

• SKID PLATE.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 63
Back