Super Confused in Fuel needed for 2024 Land Cruiser.

Other than more impressive performance numbers, someone who is certain about the premium fuel requirement explain in detail the difference between the Tacoma and 4 Runner turbo charged engines and the Land Cruiser with the identical engine and why it’s required to run premium in one and not the other. I’m asking for specifics in design of the engine. I genuinely want to know why premium is recommended in one and not the other. The argument that a turbo charged engine requires premium is out the door since the same engine is recommended to run on 87 octane by Toyota.

By the way, I’m planning on running premium fuel. I want the better performance. I just don’t understand why Toyota recommends one octane over another in the same engine other than for performance numbers.
Until "Toyota" comes on this forum we will have to go by the requirement as per the owners manual don't you think? Why did they put it there then? Just to piss us all off and have our own round of "Groundhog Day Movie"

Until "Toyota" comes on this forum we will have to go by the requirement as per the owners manual don't you think? Why did they put it there then? Just to piss us all off and have our own round of "Groundhog Day Movie"
It’s all speculation until a technician or someone with actual knowledge of the differences in how the identical engines are setup between the various vehicles answers the question. I will run premium in mine but I will test out 87 octane to see the difference in MPG and see if I can tell a difference on the performance.

Regardless of the fuel requirements, everyone should listen to the Car Care Nut on the need to maintain the turbo with frequent oil changes and run quality oil in these engines. Would be interesting for him to answer this question as I would 100% trust his opinion over mine or anyone else who is not a Toyota technician on this message board. I think he even questioned the premium fuel in the LC vs the Tacoma and why Toyota did it if I remember correctly. I need to rewatch his recent video on the LC. Such a great resource for the Toyota community.

Last edited:
I cant find the fuel requirement for Tacoma i-Force Max hybrid anywhere, pretty clear that the base i-force takes 87.

From the Tacoma manual for the i-Force Max. It's interesting its says 87 or higher and (research 91 octane).

Screenshot 2024-06-25 at 9.30.45 AM.png

My plan is to do the break in period with the 91 and then make the decision then on going to 87 or not. I had a Ford ecoboost twin turbo truck and I never used 91 in it and Ford does not recommend it unless your towing a heavy load.

Here is more detail from both the Land Cruiser 250 manual page and the Tacoma for comparison. Notice the only difference is the Land Cruiser manual states for optimum performance, use 91 octane. The Reseach Octane Number 96 is referring to how other countries outside of the United State measure their Octane number and Research Octane Number 91 for the Tacoma is referencing the same international measure. It's clear the Land Cruiser is tuned for optimal performance using 91 octane or higher but will run on 87. The Tacoma is tuned for 87 octane. Reduced performance will probably be seen in the Land Cruiser but it shouldn't hurt the vehicle as both of the manuals give the same minimum recommendation of ASTM D8418 in the USA. I think this is Toyota's definitive answer.

Land Cruiser 250:

Screenshot 2024-06-25 at 9.40.43 AM.png

Tacoma i-Force Max:

Screenshot 2024-06-25 at 9.43.08 AM.png

Last edited:
Clearly because Lexus and Land Cruiser owners are a class of folks that should never be insulted by being forced to touch the same regular fuel button on the pump as the riff raff.

Forthcoming international legislation will create separate pump station requirements to complete our total velvet rope experience at the petroleum station.

Well Landcruiser was originally a go anywhere in any country vehicle and used in remote places that don't have 91 octane fuel. Some barely have 87 or its watered down so to speak. This 250 doesn't meet those standards.

It’s all speculation until a technician or someone with actual knowledge of the differences in how the identical engines are setup between the various vehicles answers the question. I will run premium in mine but I will test out 87 octane to see the difference in MPG and see if I can tell a difference on the performance.

Regardless of the fuel requirements, everyone should listen to the Car Care Nut on the need to maintain the turbo with frequent oil changes and run quality oil in these engines. Would be interesting for him to answer this question as I would 100% trust his opinion over mine or anyone else who is not a Toyota technician on this message board. I think he even questioned the premium fuel in the LC vs the Tacoma and why Toyota did it if I remember correctly. I need to rewatch his recent video on the LC. Such a great resource for the Toyota community.
You lost me on “all speculation “ it is in the owners manual and on the door to the gas tank . Not sure what else is needed?Is the owners manual not to be believed nor trusted anymore?

You lost me on “all speculation “ it is in the owners manual and on the door to the gas tank . Not sure what else is needed?Is the owners manual not to be believed nor trusted anymore?
All speculation referring to damaging the engine. I've never wavered in stating i think its mainly for performance in the Land Cruiser and that 87 is fine without damaging the engine since its the same engine in the Tacoma. After my post, I researched and looked up the owners manuals which confirmed my hunch. No longer speculation after reviewing the manuals. They both confirm the same minimum rating of 87 octane. 91 recommended for the Land Cruiser.

All speculation referring to damaging the engine. I've never wavered in stating i think its mainly for performance in the Land Cruiser and that 87 is fine without damaging the engine since its the same engine in the Tacoma. After my post, I researched and looked up the owners manuals which confirmed my hunch. No longer speculation after reviewing the manuals. They both confirm the same minimum rating of 87 octane. 91 recommended for the Land Cruiser.
And the door to fuel fill which says”Premium fuel only”? Just a sticker to confuse the owner?
P.S. Could you show me the page in the owners manual where it says “minimum rating 87? 91 recommended? Only manual I found states minimum 91 or higher.
You have to stop saying what the Tacoma fuel rating is. The manual is there for the owner,it is what it is. You are not doing anyone any favours by confusing people it is a disservice and helps no one.

Last edited:
Would love for a Toyota engineer/technician to speak up on the differences between the vehicles in question with the identical engines and how they are set up differently between the vehicles. Clearly there are differences but they aren’t apparent other than performance related.
Perhaps their lips are sealed? crickets...

My plan is to do the break in period with the 91 and then make the decision then on going to 87 or not. I had a Ford ecoboost twin turbo truck and I never used 91 in it and Ford does not recommend it unless your towing a heavy load.
My plan is to read the owners manual and take what it says. Do the minimum and maybe even better.
Again apples to oranges……Ford said not to do the 91… so you agree… but Toyota is telling to use 91 but you disagree?

Last edited:
Back