Sunroofs

My LC with premium package is tied-up in the quality hold because of the sunroof. It’s ironic because I really didn’t want a sunroof but did want the other options in that package for the LC trim. I had earlier swore to never buy another car with a sunroof after a terrible experience with a Volvo S series that had terribly engineered sunroof drain hose connectors that often failed (hose shrinkage and loss of flexibility over time) and which filled the floorboards with puddles of water. Thoughts of that moldy premium interior still make me cringe. Praying for Toyota engineers to have not worked for Volvo (or Jaguar for which mine leaked condensate from the air conditioner into the dash and carpet there under).
My neighbor told me about the bonehead design the Volvo people came up with on his Volvo. Something about a 2 piece drain hose with a rubber washer that cracked and deteriorated with age. Leaks went undetected by soaking in the carpet. I got my last Swedish brick in 1980. Poor quality control. I gave up on them. He fixed his problem himself using a solid length of plastic hose routed down the A pillar to dump water down the fender well instead of underneath the carpet.

My moon roofs have never leaked in 1994 4Runner, 99 4Runner, 2011 Trail, 2020 4Runner ORP.

I didn't want a sunroof but had no choice with the FE trim. It will probably never get opened.

Last edited:
Toyota sunroofs don’t leak. At least in my 30 years of experience. Good luck with yours.

Back