Socket size for wheel nuts?

chris_in_phx

📛 Founding Member
Dec 5, 2023
Media
Phoenix, AZ
Vehicles
2024 Land Cruiser
Anybody happen to know the socket size for the wheel nuts on the stock 18” wheels on the LC w/ premium package? Surprisingly the 3/4” i used to carry in my truck is too small.

I like to keep a breaker bar in my trucks for the wheels - and the necessary socket. I’ve had issues in the past where tire center over torques nuts and I wasn’t able to get the wheel off when I had a flat.

If not I’ll just go take the tire wrench into Home Depot with me… I’m just being lazy. :)

Anybody happen to know the socket size for the wheel nuts on the stock 18” wheels on the LC w/ premium package? Surprisingly the 3/4” i used to carry in my truck is too small.

I like to keep a breaker bar in my trucks for the wheels - and the necessary socket. I’ve had issues in the past where tire center over torques nuts and I wasn’t able to get the wheel off when I had a flat.

If not I’ll just go take the tire wrench into Home Depot with me… I’m just being lazy. :)
Yes, I do too especially in the F150. Ford lug nuts are notoriously hard to remove and the torque spec is 150 ft-lbs. Not fun trying to change a tire on the side of an interstate and not being able to remove the wheel! The spec on the LC is 96 ft-lbs or so just under 100 in the manual. I get the “titan 21 mm lug nut socket” at autozone. It’s 6 sided and that’s important for lug nuts you do not want to round off the lug nuts with the multi-point sockets.

Nice thanks. i hadn't confirmed the torque yet… what do you mean “re-torque”? Go around and do it once and then go around a 2nd time to make sure?

Any one ever used one of these? I always have trouble with 1 nut when getting a flat. Last time broke off the stud because I had to stand on the 8 inch angle bar that came with the Subaru to remove the tire lug nuts. Well, I got the tire off!

Last edited:
Any one ever used one of these? I always have trouble with 1 nut when getting a flat. Last time broke off the stud because I had to stand on the 8 inch angle bar that came with the Subaru to remove the tire nuts. Well, I got the tire off!

Never seen that before. I carry one of these:

I’m not the man that I used to be. At my age, I carry a battery powered Milwaukee 3/8” impact driver with an adapter to get it up to 1/2” drive, to get lug nuts off my Transit 350. Guess I should also carry one of my torque wrenches as well.

I’m not the man that I used to be. At my age, I carry a battery powered Milwaukee 3/8” impact driver with an adapter to get it up to 1/2” drive, to get lug nuts off my Transit 350. Guess I should also carry one of my torque wrenches as well.
Agreed. This impact is awesome! Stow it in Packout box with your sockets, you’re set!

Agreed. This impact is awesome! Stow it in Packout box with your sockets, you’re set!

That uses the smaller 12V battery, but still makes 250Ftlbs of torque! Very Impressive!!!. I think mine is 18V, and is significantly larger that that one. But I may buy one of those to leave in the LC, with a 21mm impact socket and 3/8 to 1/2” adapter, in one of those storage spaces in the rear of the cargo area. I think I will leave my pack out box at home.

Back