Tire Upgrade ?

Nokian Outpost nAT 275/65/18 SL rated. I'm so happy to have given them a chance.

View attachment 10512View attachment 10514
Do these have the M+S (Mud + Snow) symbol?

Noob question (for all) but do all tires with the 3 peak symbol meet or exceed the M+S standard? Do people run these all terrains in the winter on highways or have separate winter tires? I see at minimum M&S or 3-peak tires are required on the highways here in BC from Oct. 1st to April 30th.

Do these have the M+S (Mud + Snow) symbol?

Noob question (for all) but do all tires with the 3 peak symbol meet or exceed the M+S standard? Do people run these all terrains in the winter on highways or have separate winter tires? I see at minimum M&S or 3-peak tires are required on the highways here in BC from Oct. 1st to April 30th.

M+S is basically what classifies as an "All Season" tire. Unless you are super specialized racing or touring tires you are very likely M+S rated. It means the tread pattern and siping meets some basic requirements.

3 Peak rated means that the tire exceeds a specific level of acceleration in snow. That's all. It's a pretty important certification and I wouldn't run a tire without it in the winter if you do a lot of wintry driving. You can find regular tires with 3 peak these days - these are often called "All Weather" (the Cross Climate is a popular all weather tire these days). Some (not all) A/T tires have 3 peak rating. To answer your question - i would expect every tire with 3 peak also has M+S, as it would be very challenging to meet the 3 Peak standard without also meeting the M+S standard.

Winter tires are the next level up, the actual tire material is softer and should not be driven in higher temperatures for long if you care about your tread life and traction. Winter tires provide significantly better ice and slush handling compared to non winter tires with 3peak or M+S. Every winter tire should have 3 peak rating as well as M+S.

Still want more? Add studs to your winter tires and destroy that road with massive grip.

MORE? Chains are very useful to carry for emergencies, even if you are already on suitable tires - in particular if you do a lot of mountainous driving in winter.

I expect that i have made things even more confusing instead of helping. SORRY!

Me - i have a RAV4 that gets changed over to Blizzaks (winter tires) for the winter season. I am trying out my 3 peak rated AT tires this winter on the cruiser. If i decide i would like better traction in the cruiser, i might do a separate winter tire set in the future for the cruiser. I do encounter pretty icy/slushy conditions very often because I have an incurable skiing addiction.

Toyo open country RT trail, 275/70/18
2024 Tacoma TRD pro wheels offset 45

Attachments

• IMG_6090.jpeg
    IMG_6090.jpeg
    513.6 KB · Views: 293
  • IMG_6093.jpeg
    IMG_6093.jpeg
    497.7 KB · Views: 264
  • IMG_6089.jpeg
    IMG_6089.jpeg
    535.5 KB · Views: 278
M+S is basically what classifies as an "All Season" tire. Unless you are super specialized racing or touring tires you are very likely M+S rated. It means the tread pattern and siping meets some basic requirements.

3 Peak rated means that the tire exceeds a specific level of acceleration in snow. That's all. It's a pretty important certification and I wouldn't run a tire without it in the winter if you do a lot of wintry driving. You can find regular tires with 3 peak these days - these are often called "All Weather" (the Cross Climate is a popular all weather tire these days). Some (not all) A/T tires have 3 peak rating. To answer your question - i would expect every tire with 3 peak also has M+S, as it would be very challenging to meet the 3 Peak standard without also meeting the M+S standard.

Winter tires are the next level up, the actual tire material is softer and should not be driven in higher temperatures for long if you care about your tread life and traction. Winter tires provide significantly better ice and slush handling compared to non winter tires with 3peak or M+S. Every winter tire should have 3 peak rating as well as M+S.

Still want more? Add studs to your winter tires and destroy that road with massive grip.

MORE? Chains are very useful to carry for emergencies, even if you are already on suitable tires - in particular if you do a lot of mountainous driving in winter.

I expect that i have made things even more confusing instead of helping. SORRY!

Me - i have a RAV4 that gets changed over to Blizzaks (winter tires) for the winter season. I am trying out my 3 peak rated AT tires this winter on the cruiser. If i decide i would like better traction in the cruiser, i might do a separate winter tire set in the future for the cruiser. I do encounter pretty icy/slushy conditions very often because I have an incurable skiing addiction.
My personal experience with M+S rated all terrains was what drove me to getting actual winter tires for my 4Runner. I have the Nitto Terra Grappler on my 4Runner Pro (M+S rated). They are pretty terrible when it comes to wet and cold traction. The Michelin X-ice that I run during the winter are light years better. They are definitely not something I'd want to tow or rock crawl on, but they have fantastic grip when driving into the mountains for skiing, sledding, etc.

More info: M+S tires have to have at least 25% open space within the tread pattern, which makes that a subset of the all-season tire category. A great example of a highly effective M+S tire is the Michelin Defender. The Continental Extremecontact DWS, for example, is also an all-season tire but not an M+S tire.

Toyo open country RT trail, 275/70/18
2024 Tacoma TRD pro wheels offset 45
Do you have any pictures to show poke? I've ordered these wheels and am looking at the same size tire for my Dusty Trails FE

What tire size is this? Perfect stance IMO. Nicely done.
Doh, nevermind, I just saw your original post. 285/65/18s with the Tacoma TRD wheel (that I have coming in a week). I have 265/70/18 KO3s on the stock wheels right now but I think the setup you have is just right without a lift. I'm not doing a lift on this truck this time around.

Last edited:
Doh, nevermind, I just saw your original post. 285/65/18s with the Tacoma TRD wheel (that I have coming in a week). I have 265/70/18 KO3s on the stock wheels right now but I think the setup you have is just right without a lift. I'm not doing a lift on this truck this time around.
I'm staying away from suspension upgrades for awhile too and thank you!

Does the 265/70R18 fit in the spare tire well?

Does the 265/70R18 fit in the spare tire well?
It fits in the spare tire well, since 265/70r18 is the stock size for the non-premium Land Cruiser (mid) trim. My friend also did put a Falken Wildpeak AT3 in the same size on the OE spare wheel under the vehicle on his "land cruiser" trim.

JT

It fits in the spare tire well, since 265/70r18 is the stock size for the non-premium Land Cruiser (mid) trim. My friend also did put a Falken Wildpeak AT3 in the same size on the OE spare wheel under the vehicle on his "land cruiser" trim.

JT
Thanks, good to know. It's probably been covered here before, but I didn't find it.

Thanks, good to know. It's probably been covered here before, but I didn't find it.
Yes, the 265/70/18 is stock tire size. I didn't want to mess with RPM and a lot of other engineering that went into the decision for Toyota to go with that size. I'm toying with the decision to go a little wider to get a little more footprint when aired down. 285/65/18 does this while keeping the same diameter. There is a great website that allows you to compare tire sizes and offsets. Tire Size Calculator
But ultimately it's the photos of peoples rigs that help the most for me.
I built a full blown overland rig when I had my 4Runner. It was a great project, lots of fun and lots of money. I'm not going to be rock crawling with this truck and want to keep it light as possible so I can build a proper off-road trailer that has the kitchen/everything else I'd need to be out in the wilderness. I found that having a roof top tent was great if you were making long journeys and were only staying one night in a location and then moving on. For base camping it was a bit of a PITA to breakdown every time I wanted to explore with my truck and then have to set it back up again, hence the reason I'm going with a trailer this time, so I can leave my base camp set up and have my truck free to explore.
Sorry for the long winded and meandering answer to a simple question. lol

I'm a new 1958 owner and was looking to upgrade just the tires to something beefier. Looks like 265/65/18 Nitto Ridge Grapplers come as an upgrade at some dealers....
does it makes sense to go that route or 265/70/18?
I don't want to change out wheels add spacers etc.
thanks

Last edited:
Back