Tire Upgrade ?

Hello rubber gurus! I'm shamed to admit for how long I was eyeballing this spreadsheet, but I think I'd still love to have a human advice/opinion. What would be your top pick for this super weird list of requirements:
  • priority number 0 - excellent heavy-heavy-heavy rain performance (PNW folk is here ^_^, so lots of miles will be driven in rain on flooded freeways)
  • occasional mountain snow driving (1-2 times a month during winter => 3 peaks rated)
  • occasional dirt-fire-back-roading. . . with kiddos, so I'll hate to get a puncture and listen them wining for hours while I'll be sorting the puncture out
  • I don't care about bigger size/better ground clearance (I want odometer and speedometer readings being accurate and keep near-stock geometry), likely will keep it near stock
  • I don't really care about tires price (one time band-aid peel of), but somewhat care about mpg (constant money bleeding)
  • I don't want something super heavy to not overload drivetrain (likely LC will be already overloaded with humans dogs and piles of random road tripping crap)

Will appreciate any advice/links to reviews/comparisons!

Attachments

• IMG_9636.jpeg
    IMG_9636.jpeg
    457.2 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_9637.jpeg
    IMG_9637.jpeg
    468.4 KB · Views: 176
Hello rubber gurus! I'm shamed to admit for how long I was eyeballing this spreadsheet, but I think I'd still love to have a human advice/opinion. What would be your top pick for this super weird list of requirements:
  • priority number 0 - excellent heavy-heavy-heavy rain performance (PNW folk is here ^_^, so lots of miles will be driven in rain on flooded freeways)
  • occasional mountain snow driving (1-2 times a month during winter => 3 peaks rated)
  • occasional dirt-fire-back-roading. . . with kiddos, so I'll hate to get a puncture and listen them wining for hours while I'll be sorting the puncture out
  • I don't care about bigger size/better ground clearance (I want odometer and speedometer readings being accurate and keep near-stock geometry), likely will keep it near stock
  • I don't really care about tires price (one time band-aid peel of), but somewhat care about mpg (constant money bleeding)
  • I don't want something super heavy to not overload drivetrain (likely LC will be already overloaded with humans dogs and piles of random road tripping crap)

I am in Seattle so heavy rain and snow. I have preferred either the bfgoodtich ko2 which I have over 60k miles on them or the Toyo AT3 where I have over 40k miles on them, I personally prefer the Toyo and have them for both of my Landcruisers (see pic above this post).

I split time between Denver and Avon, CO. Whatever off-roading I do is generally roads to trailheads. Not super duty frankly. But I do drive up and down I-70 constantly. Sometimes that feels like rock crawling. The route takes me up to the tunnel and also over Vail Pass, so in a storm the conditions can be awful.

I have Wildpeak AT3s on my Tahoe. Came off Defenders before them. Defenders are awesome tires if I’m being honest, but just not the look I want. I think the Wildpeaks might be a little more tire than I need and I’m paying the price for that in the form of highway noise and MPG penalty.

For the LC I might back off to an on-road all-terrain like the Bridgestone Dueler AT Ascent or similar. Still a 3-peak certification but might roll a little lighter on the pavement. If I find myself staring down Black Bear Pass with those I might have to turn around and go back to the brew pub.

Last edited:
I am in Seattle so heavy rain and snow. I have preferred either the bfgoodtich ko2 which I have over 60k miles on them or the Toyo AT3 where I have over 40k miles on them, I personally prefer the Toyo and have them for both of my Landcruisers (see pic above this post).
Interesting thread. The AT3s look great. We don't have snow in Florida but do have lots of rain. And these vehicles are built to travel so mine will see snow before too long...The original Michelin Defenders were nice on the highway, but had to work in the sand. They also picked up and held onto lots of little shells and gravel pieces. After some research, I ended up with 275R70/18 KO3s on the factory wheels--so far no rubbing, and the spare fits (barely). They definitely aren't as smooth as the Michelins, but are still very quite so far, way better in the sand, and seem like they'll be much better (than the competition) on the highway and in the rain. Safe travels!

Attachments

• IMG_2833.jpeg
    IMG_2833.jpeg
    263.2 KB · Views: 164
Method 707 bead grip 18” with 18mm offset.
I have to say with the 275/70/18 tires and this offset it slings a lot of mud on the side of the car. I was in deep mud this weekend and wow it completely covered the side quickly. Even with the mud flaps. Just an FYI. and I did not get pics. The actual poke on the tire is right at the edge of the wheel well but the minute you turn the steering wheel any direction it is flinging mud madly.

I have to say with the 275/70/18 tires and this offset it slings a lot of mud on the side of the car. I was in deep mud this weekend and wow it completely covered the side quickly. Even with the mud flaps. Just an FYI. and I did not get pics. The actual poke on the tire is right at the edge of the wheel well but the minute you turn the steering wheel any direction it is flinging mud madly.
I really wanted Method wheels, but not at 18mm offset and splatter. Icon is the only wheel at 40mm (18"). Might have to go that route.

I really wanted Method wheels, but not at 18mm offset and splatter. Icon is the only wheel at 40mm (18"). Might have to go that route.
Look into the Method 318 wheels. they come in 18" diameter and +40 offset, however, they are on backorder til Nov. I believe. I was going to get these, but saw the Work Meisters (in more aggressive size and offset). They also come in black on bronze. Hope this helps.

JT

Look into the Method 318 wheels. they come in 18" diameter and +40 offset, however, they are on backorder til Nov. I believe. I was going to get these, but saw the Work Meisters (in more aggressive size and offset). They also come in black on bronze. Hope this helps.

JT
Thanks the info. The 318's look good.

Toyo at3s 285/75/17 on method 705 titanium wheels.
2 inch Radflo coilover lift up front
This looks great. I assume wheels are +35mm offset?

Do you see any downside to using 17" vs 18"? Seems more Land Cruiser like to me and I'm looking hard at 17s and may even get same wheels as you.

Also want to know more about your suspension upgrade. Will look to see if you posted in other section of forum.

Wait....just so we are clear. You fitted a 34.8" tire on what I think is a 17x8.5 +35mm wheel and you had no rubbing through full steering arc before lift?

This would be largest tire I have heard of yet that has no rubbing at all.
285/75/17 in Toyo at3 measures 33.86 according to their website, and yes, no rubbing at all with factory suspension and method 705s, plus 35 offset, 17x8.5.

I prefer a 17 inch wheel, more tire allows for more conformity when aired down and looks better in my opinion .

Radflos are fine. They ride like factory (smooth) and give 2 inches of lift up front. The real benefit here is the added ground clearance since it sits low in stock form.

285/75/17 in Toyo at3 measures 33.86 according to their website, and yes, no rubbing at all with factory suspension and method 705s, plus 35 offset, 17x8.5.

I prefer a 17 inch wheel, more tire allows for more conformity when aired down and looks better in my opinion .

Radflos are fine. They ride like factory (smooth) and give 2 inches of lift up front. The real benefit here is the added ground clearance since it sits low in stock form.
OK, I'm an idiot. I was looking at diameter of the 18" 285/75 which of course is more than the 17" 285/75.

Did you attempt to fit one in spare location? How'd that go?

Back