Skid plate

Aluminum? If so, a brush deflector, not a substantial skid plate for the places I have frequented. Better than nothing. All one piece, so the entire skid plate must be dropped for an oil change.
The FE skid plate is two pieces, not one. Changed the oil recently, and the front skid plate comes off nicely with the slotted bolt holes, plus the location of the oil filter up front makes changing it an easy task.

Rear skid, as in something behind the trans skid? If you mean the trans skid; it’s easier than the front skid, in that you just thread the hanger bolts then hoist the skid onto the hangers and bolt it all down. The only tricky part is that the front lip of the trans skid tucks under the rear lip of the front skid. There are two prongs on either side of the front of the skid that slot into corresponding slots. You loosen, or drop, the front skid and slide the rear skid prongs into their slots and then bolt the front skid down on top of the rear skid. It makes sense once you’re under there and see how it’s laid out. Good luck!

Last edited:
FYI to all my Canadian friends looking for the upgraded skid plates - i was able to order both from the below dealer in the US (currently the front skid plate is backordered in Canada). Total cost after exchange was $400 less than the dealer quoted me here in Calgary.

What was the total landed cost?

When I was looking, I thought it was fairly expensive, and went with Greenlane from Victoria. Full skid (which covers more) is $975 raw aluminum or $1,125 powdercoated black. Front only is $600/$700PC. Those prices are shipped, but without GST.

What was the total landed cost?

When I was looking, I thought it was fairly expensive, and went with Greenlane from Victoria. Full skid (which covers more) is $975 raw aluminum or $1,125 powdercoated black. Front only is $600/$700PC. Those prices are shipped, but without GST.

That’s pretty reasonable. Total landed cost in CAD for the aforementioned oem was $1015 which (unfortunately) includes $225 cad in shipping to get it up here.

Skid plate install last night was pretty straight forward. I highly highly highly recommend printing out the TIS skid plate installation document. The little paper you get with the front skid is useless. With the actual installation instructions, it was pretty straight forward as long as you patiently go step by step through the doc. It also provides torque specs.

It was also a wonderful time to do a break-in oil change at the same time. So a fun night working on the cruiser with a buddy and some beers!

What does everyone do with the removed skids? Trash/Recycling? Hide it in a corner for years until you decide "i guess i should toss these"? I'm currently at the "i'll just leave these in the middle of the floor of the garage for now" stage.

IMG_9375.jpeg

Attachments

• SKID PLATE.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 48
Are the First Edition plates painted steel, or aluminum? I live in New England... salt brine capitol of the world.

thanks!

Are the First Edition plates painted steel, or aluminum? I live in New England... salt brine capitol of the world.

thanks!
It’s steel. Not painted. Lots of pictures and discussions covering this in the earlier pages of this thread.

Purchased the FE skid plates. My mechanic charged $54 to install. My total cost was $690.

The plastic skid section that was removed is more substantial than I expected. The two standard skid sections are not trivial, and I don't feel that the better FE plates are a must have.

Many places in the U.S. likely have Toyota parts departments that discount online purchases. While I picked up mine from the counter at the famed Elmhurst Toyota, I suggest checking local prices before paying for shipping.

The front skid should be removed for debris removal at every oil change. So an access hatch to avoid front plate removal is not necessarily a desirable feature.

Also, light weight steel outperforms aluminum in many automotive applications. What Toyota has made in the FE skid plate may be substantially superior engineering compared to the aftermarkets aluminum design.

Last edited:
Skid plate install last night was pretty straight forward. I highly highly highly recommend printing out the TIS skid plate installation document. The little paper you get with the front skid is useless. With the actual installation instructions, it was pretty straight forward as long as you patiently go step by step through the doc. It also provides torque specs.

It was also a wonderful time to do a break-in oil change at the same time. So a fun night working on the cruiser with a buddy and some beers!

What does everyone do with the removed skids? Trash/Recycling? Hide it in a corner for years until you decide "i guess i should toss these"? I'm currently at the "i'll just leave these in the middle of the floor of the garage for now" stage.

View attachment 10764
Thanks for posting!

View attachment 10764

I'm trying to avoid exactly that, so chucked the plastic and kept the metal. For some reason.

As a fabricator, I never throw away metal......lol

It can always be made into something else!

Ok seen all the pics but nothing that showed me how to get there. So took apart and restarted. Here are the steps
View attachment 4707
This is the metal piece that comes with new skid plate. The 3 holes in blue you will use to attach your existing plastic cover to.
View attachment 4708
This is the plastic cover that is on your car already. You will need to take it off and re-use it.

View attachment 4709
Drop the plastic cover piece on the metal bracket so the 2 big side cut outs are facing up and the holes align with the 3 holes in blue. The 2 holes in yellow are going to be where you bolt the metal piece to the lc.

View attachment 4710
Take 2 of the extra bolts from when you removed the orginal skid plate and use them to attach the metal piece to the frame (where the yellow lines are represents where the bolt holes are on the frame)

Once installed your plastic trim pieces should have a large side cut out on each side facing up (there is a small cut out on each side that will face down- not marked in pic) and the center cut out facing down- marked in blue.
Now your black metal piece and trim are done. Install skid plate (so much easier) and all set.

Still have no idea why there were zero directions or pics for the black piece. Ugh.

Hope this helps.
Planning to install my skids this week and just wanted to say thank you @hypnotic for the details, I'm sure it will make it go much smoother!

Accidentally ordered the PT228-35244 part number. Haven’t installed it yet though. Anyone confirm this is the exact same part as PT228-35241?
It's different (shorter). See this post (PT228-35244 on the left, PT228-35241 on the right):
Here are the 2 skid plates side by side so you can see the differences and why it could be easy to confuse them if you were looking at the picture alone.

View attachment 8357
Annoyingly PT228-35241 is still not showing up in Toyota's web parts system. If your local dealer uses the Toyota system you have to contact them directly.

Last edited:
Ok seen all the pics but nothing that showed me how to get there. So took apart and restarted. Here are the steps
View attachment 4707
This is the metal piece that comes with new skid plate. The 3 holes in blue you will use to attach your existing plastic cover to.
View attachment 4708
This is the plastic cover that is on your car already. You will need to take it off and re-use it.

View attachment 4709
Drop the plastic cover piece on the metal bracket so the 2 big side cut outs are facing up and the holes align with the 3 holes in blue. The 2 holes in yellow are going to be where you bolt the metal piece to the lc.

View attachment 4710
Take 2 of the extra bolts from when you removed the orginal skid plate and use them to attach the metal piece to the frame (where the yellow lines are represents where the bolt holes are on the frame)

Once installed your plastic trim pieces should have a large side cut out on each side facing up (there is a small cut out on each side that will face down- not marked in pic) and the center cut out facing down- marked in blue.
Now your black metal piece and trim are done. Install skid plate (so much easier) and all set.

Still have no idea why there were zero directions or pics for the black piece. Ugh.

Hope this helps.
Your write up was great.
I am going through this install and received the front skid plate, and now waiting on the rear skid plate to arrive.
I received the front skid plate and the box I received was all torn up with big holes. The skid plate and trim piece were present, but I did not receive any bag of hardware (bolts and u-nuts). I read a PDF of the skid plate installation and it identifies a "hardware bag". Also, from the read, I understand that some existing bolts will be re-used with the installation, but it doesnt look like all the necessary bolts (and u-nuts) are accounted for which is why I think I am missing a hardware bag.

Should I have received a hardware bag?

Thanks!

Your write up was great.
I am going through this install and received the front skid plate, and now waiting on the rear skid plate to arrive.
I received the front skid plate and the box I received was all torn up with big holes. The skid plate and trim piece were present, but I did not receive any bag of hardware (bolts and u-nuts). I read a PDF of the skid plate installation and it identifies a "hardware bag". Also, from the read, I understand that some existing bolts will be re-used with the installation, but it doesnt look like all the necessary bolts (and u-nuts) are accounted for which is why I think I am missing a hardware bag.

Should I have received a hardware bag?

Thanks!
Yes a hardware bag with black bolts that are smaller than those that came out of the stock vehicle (I did not use any of them), and the two u-nuts for the trim piece. Bummer, but all you really need is the slide-on u-nuts.

Back