Side mirror vibration anyone?

DGK

đź“› Founding Member
May 28, 2024
Media
California
Vehicles
1958 landcruiser
I am about 200 miles in on ny 1958 and i just started noticing my driver side mirror vibrating at high way speeds. Passenger side looks good. Anyone have a similar experience

Last edited:
Slightly unrelated - but do you hear any wind noise / buffeting from the mirrors while on the highway?

Mine rattles. It’s not that bad and I only really notice if I look for it or need to use thet mirror. Seems like it happens on quite a few so hopefully they solve the fix.

Noise wise I don’t hear it from the rattling but the big mirror def cause wind noise. I have an FE and believe the wind noise starts with mirror and roof rack around 40mph, then builds up to by those + massive flat windshield at highway speeds (65-80).

If you turn up the music you can’t really hear it. Tbh it’s not terrible overall and think it’s maybe amplified bc I find the cabin to be very quiet under 40mph. Surprisingly quiet personally… but coming from a 2012 audi q5 with roof racks that is super noisy so maybe my view is skewed.

Reactions: DGK
Mine rattles. It’s not that bad and I only really notice if I look for it or need to use thet mirror. Seems like it happens on quite a few so hopefully they solve the fix.

Noise wise I don’t hear it from the rattling but the big mirror def cause wind noise. I have an FE and believe the wind noise starts with mirror and roof rack around 40mph, then builds up to by those + massive flat windshield at highway speeds (65-80).

If you turn up the music you can’t really hear it. Tbh it’s not terrible overall and think it’s maybe amplified bc I find the cabin to be very quiet under 40mph. Surprisingly quiet personally… but coming from a 2012 audi q5 with roof racks that is super noisy so maybe my view is skewed.
Thanks for chiming in. Yea im super OCD and look for vibration ever chance i get. But its really not that bad.

I noticed the mirror vibration right away. To me it seems a design flaw not manufacturing defect. One of several small annoyances I've discovered in the first week.
Why are the mirrors so tall? Wind force creates a lot of torque on the swivel joint.

I am about 200 miles in on ny 1958 and i just started noticing my driver side mirror vibrating at high way speeds. Passenger side looks good. Anyone have a similar experience
I am having the same exact situation! Realized of it right after taking it out of the dealership

I am having the same exact situation! Realized of it right after taking it out of the dealership
Was it windy outside? I notice it more when its windy. If theres no wind its not to bad at all.

Just got my 1958 and noticed it right away at highway speeds. I doubt there will be a fix since, as ChillLC said, it seems like a design flaw and not a defect. I'd be curious if there is something you could do to fix it though.

Was it windy outside? I notice it more when its windy. If theres no wind its not to bad at all.
Yes I was on the highway.
But the passenger side doesn’t move at all.
I don’t think it should be that way

I've had Toyota mirrors apart several times (modified the Taco mirrors to folding mirrors) the pivot shaft is held to the mount by a spring that's retained by a locking collar/washer........ I curious if adding a shim would tighten up the mount enough as to prevent the vibration.

Anybody get this issue fixed? Only driver’s side on our FE doing this as well.

Just to add to this, I went to test drive a 1958 at my local dealer today and it had the driver mirror "shake". But It didn't make a sound. I actually found the noise level at highway speed to be really great, very little wind noise overall. Forgot to check which plant it was assembled at.

402 miles on the odometer, no shakes or rattles, yet…

~619 miles on the odometer and Miss Daisy’s mirrors are high and tight, and stable.

Last edited:
I am curious to know if any of the members here have brought up the shaking mirror to their dealers, an if there is a fix for this condition.

I've had Toyota mirrors apart several times (modified the Taco mirrors to folding mirrors) the pivot shaft is held to the mount by a spring that's retained by a locking collar/washer........ I curious if adding a shim would tighten up the mount enough as to prevent the vibration.
This^
My solution:

I made a shim out of a Costco Maple syrup bottle.

I used my Weiss snips. Heavy scissors would work. Careful if you use a razor knife.

Cut the bottom out ~3" diameter. Used a drinking glass to trace the circle.
Cut a hole inside this 3" circle, ~2" diameter. " " "
Cut about a 1/2" gap in this shim
Slip it into the offending gap
Use a trim tool or similar tool to fully insert the shim.
Fixed, no more shimmy and shake
Mirror folds and extends with no issue

Barely visible and if it bothers you, a black sharpie with fix it.

You could use a Rubbermaid lid for the material but I used enough kitchen stuff for my projects...I avoid the future conversation regarding "one of my lids is missing".

Any HDPE will work. I'd advise against rubber. To much friction...you want plastic on plastic.

Hope this helps until Toyota admits it's a problem and offers a solution. Dealers will just look at you and likely state "they all do it; it's normal".

Back